Kickstarting and Screaming

Platinum Games launched a Kickstarter campaign to remaster ports of Wonderful 101.

Fuck yeah PC. Smashing robots with a giant fist at 144 fps.

And it’s nearly up to $300k already.

Looks like that website for Wonderful 101 is also teasing 3 other games/remasters to come in the future…

Orange Nebula (Vindication, Unsettled) has posted an interesting look back at their recent campaign for a Unsettled. Particularly interesting to me is their reasoning on why no stretch goals, which I very much agree with:

https://orangenebula.com/the-outpost/unsettled-kickstarter-reflections-part-one/

Stretch goals, whether intended or not, train people to commoditize their gaming experience to being “how much cardboard and plastic did I get.” That becomes the value of the game. And that’s not the value of a game. The value of Star Wars isn’t how much it cost them to print the disc you’re watching. This perspective harms your experience. The value is intangible and should be perceived that way.

One of the appeals of Kickstarter is getting to be part of an experience. We all want to be part of a community, and getting more stuff slowly piled at your feet isn’t the most satisfying fulfillment of that desire. We would rather you just get all the stuff on day one, there’s no “making your pledge worth what you paid for it” experience; instead the experience you have as a community is making something, being creative together, engaging with each other in a fun and happy and fulfilling way. Not just standing there salivating for more stuff. Just have all the stuff. The stuff’s coming anyway, why not just get it right at the start and then let’s have a fun time together.

I do love the way they run their campaigns.

Bam, backed!

This is the only WiiU game i already own I actually want to play on the Switch. As much as I like the game I think it would be greatly improved for me if it didn’t need splitscreen (TV & Tablet) for certain areas.

Trese Brothers have their next game up on Kickstarter.

Looks kinda like shadowrun, so I hacked it immediatly with 60 dollars.

I seem to recall this isn’t a new setting for them, but havent really played much besides their Star Frontiers and the Warhammer 40 look alike game.

How quickly did they reach their goal?https://twitter.com/tresebrothers/status/1224564489250648064

People act like stretch goals are a mandatory part of the experience but Kickstarter doesn’t even implement them as part of the site design. (Addons, either.) I dunno. Is it fun to watch stuff get added as the project goes on? I guess? Are they usually really things the additional funding allows, which is the supposed premise of stretch goals? Almost never - you can most clearly see this when companies are like “okay so you didn’t quite reach the last stretch goal everyone was excited about, but we’re just gonna throw it in anyway”. Would I ever pay more into the project just to help reach a stretch goal? No, that would be crazy.

I went to the site shortly after getting the e-mail. At that time, they were already funded.

They did put up a trial version of their kickstarter a few days ago, inviting those of us who kickstarter their previous game to see the campaign, and give feedback - maybe thats the reason?

This thing annoys me. My FB feed is full of ads for them- click on one or two because they tease something interesting, but then they’re “sign up for an email when we launch”. No. Just put up a KS page when it’s done, and I’ll evaluate from there. Or possibly not, since you’ve already annoyed me.

The Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter is live!

If that isn’t enough cyberpunk for you, already funded

The Kickstarter for Oath: Chronicles of Empire linked a couple weeks ago had none either:

Nice. I really like that approach. Orange Nebula have learned from Vindication and are now focusing on engaging with the community in fun projects that add content for everyone during the campaign. Nobody has to pledge more for great of missing out, but it gives them lots of opportunities to post updates about the stuff being created and keep people engaged.

I like that Leder showed the same respect to backers. More of that please.

12 Hours https://twitter.com/tresebrothers/status/1224595191706923009

Is this their first 3d game? Don’t see that listed in the ‘risks and challenges’. Looks quite a bit higher budget that their other games.

W101 at 1.25 million already.

Excited. I think Geneforge is Spiderweb’s best and most unique series and the original is getting reeeal long in the tooth.

It was long in the tooth about 2010 or so. Whenever Vogel did his “I will support modern resolutions largely coherently” engine update (which was late Geneforge/early Avernum remakes if memory serves). Now it’s waaaaaay past that, I reckon.

The good, unsurprising news is that it’s almost there day 1 (26k and counting). There’s already promise of new content in the base game. If a 75k stretch goal is hit, there will be an entire new area with multiple zones + new story (ideas cut from the original apparently).

Marvel United has 15 minutes left. Lots of stretch goals unlocked, which is tempting me.