Kickstarting and Screaming

I did Sleeping Gods too! I’ve got kind of a pipeline going: ISS Vanguard in August (hopefully), 7th Citadel maybe January-ish, and then Sleeping Gods next August. Then Arcs next December, if I get a chance to get together with my buddy to play it :)

Oh yeah, I’m on pins and needles for that one.

I still have three campaigns of Tainted Grail and the rest of Etherfields (which should have arrived by then) in the queue. Man. Heck, we’re still working on the main Etherfields campaign. Hopefully more tomorrow.

I kind of stopped Kickstarting for a while, except for some weird little TTRPG things. Other than SG, I’ve got the next Hexplore It, the second half of Etherfields content, and the Vampire: The Masquerade ‘Chapters’ game coming, supposedly over the summer.

V:TM is already super late, but I expect it to slip even further- that one is a clusterfuck. Etherfields is very late, too, but the latest delay is just due to the Shanghai lock down. I actually expect it to be here sometime soon.

I think HI4: Mirza Noctis is relatively on-time. There was some drama around that one last month, regarding the campaign book for HI1, but that seems to be resolved now.

I was interested in Stellaris, and a few others, but ultimately just wasn’t sold.

I’d pledge the hell out of Arcs but I still haven’t managed to get people together to play Root or Oath (hoping to do that this summer). And I’m still waiting for my Kickstarter copy of Glorantha: The Gods War.

I love everything I’ve read about Arcs; the campaign structure, the combat system, and the action system all seem really cool.

Oh hey, another member of this special club. I’m hoping it arrives in time for me to be buried with it.

There is an interesting thread on Reddit where Cole Wehrle discuses Space Biff’s preview of the game.

The preview: Arcs Sans Arc | SPACE-BIFF!

The ensuing discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/uwr0a6/space_biffs_tepid_response_to_small_arcs/

After having a good time with Maquis, a solo workerplacement game, I remembered this game with a similar theme, this time the Spanish Maquis

Good, encouraging previews… Last day for pledging.

I’ve been able to play a prototype copy of the game and have enjoyed it a lot, much more than I anticipated to be honest. Happy to answer questions.

I realize this is an older game and may not even be news, but I just discovered that Xia: Legends of a Drift System and its expansions are available to buy as add-ons for Far Off Games’s current project, Arydia: The Paths We Dare Tread. I’ve been looking to pick up Xia and it’s been quite difficult to find and when it does turn up it’s usually very expensive so, figured I’d share.

I’ve heard good things about Xia, but that Arydria game actually looks cool, too. Well, other than the premise of being an exile in another country who has to do enough good deeds to go home. Why would that country even want you there- presumably you’re a bad person or you wouldn’t have been exiled. Other than to clean up the messes they don’t have any desire to do themselves, of course. So basically ‘exploited immigrant: the boardgame’? Hmmm.

But other than that, cool.

I don’t think we can assume exiles are bad people, no.

You have a point. Perhaps they are political dissidents. Or maybe driven out for something inherent, like sexual orientation? In which case, what happens when they go back? They haven’t (presumably) changed in the course of doing good deeds in another land, so they’re right back where they started. Except for all the immigrant exploitation, of course. They’ll never get those years of their life back.

Still, cool looking game.

arrived pretty much on time! 2 miniature packs, expansions and main game.

Nice one! I have received notice that mine is due to ship soon… but got nothing yet.

CoH second edition is live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badcrow/company-of-heroes-board-game-2nd-edition

So, Mythic Games are demanding an additional shipping contribution of all backers. They claim increase in shipping costs etc.

I paid 300$ (included are 50$ shipping) already. Now they ask for 25$ more… crap.
However, I got my big boxes of V-Sabotage delivered without issue …

And if Mythic would have followed their timeline, they should have shipped last year anyways… Amateurs!

Every single crowdfunding project that funded prior to 2021 got hit with much higher shipping costs than they anticipated (even some projects that funded in 2021 probably thought shipping would calm down in a way it hasn’t really). As far as I can tell most companies opted to eat the extra cost themselves in the interest of goodwill but make no mistake they faced the same hikes. Mythic probably can’t afford to do that entirely and I would bet are still subsidizing things at that extra $25 (for you, from what I saw there was a whole itemized list depending on what people got). It sucks, and the criticism about delays is fair (I just had an update from the Sword & Sorcery team saying they paid their extra shipping costs themselves - over $1 million - because they figured if they’d shipped in 2019 like they’d originally forecast they’d never have incurred them and they could afford it). But it is what it is.

On top of this for existing projects, I’ve had multiple new projects simply not charge for shipping or give an estimate until shipping time, because how could you give a shipping estimate these days?

a few projects I back (that are late) have noted the increased shipping. Some are willing to eat the cost (Hexplore It), some have come up with an extra promo pack you can buy- Etherfields basically sold a booster pack of cards called Kittenburg for $25 to help them cover the increased shipping. I’m a little bummed I didn’t jump on that one, in hindsight - my gal would have liked it, if I get her to play again.