Killing Floor 2 - Bullets, blades, and blood

Looking good.

I’ve bought Killing Floor and a good chunk of the DLC and played one level solo. Looks like a game that would be great with a group of friends, hoping 2 turns out well, maybe I’ll buy that and play more than once!

No need for a new Killing Floor.
To me it’s an all-time classic fit for the ages.

Oh and simply go online, join some match, watch other people play, stick with them for a while and you will do fine. :)

I might have to give it a go. I just always hate being the clueless one and holding the group back lol.

Take a normal soldier, bunch up and aim for the head zoomed in.
People only hate you if you run around like a headless chicken or go alone rambo-style.
Your guns will be pretty useless for a while until you levelled up but often times other players will spare you some cash (the higher your level the cheaper the guns / armour).
Try the different classes until you found one you liked but then stick with it as levelling is per class not general.
When in doubt go with the medic. Everyone loves medics for obvious reasons!

Headshots, headshots, headshots. On Normal difficulty, headshots with the pistol will work just fine 80% of the time. Headshots with a lever-action rifle will take care of the other 20% of situations. As a bonus, you’ll level up your Sharpshooter class skill very quickly this way.

If you decide to play as a Medic, be aware that the designated “Medic” weapons have an alternate fire mode that shoots a healing dart (middle mouse button by default), and the cooldown on the healing dart is independent of the cooldown for the handheld healing tool. You also get money for healing people.

Hearing this makes me want to boot it back up again. The only thing that bugs me is how susceptible the whole design is to repeating strategies. I love the fact that you can push for higher difficulties as you play, but the way spawning works in conjunction with the environments sort of invalidates a lot of the challenge once you figure each level out. Even Left 4 Dead fell into this trap to some degree, despite all it did to prevent predictable behavior. I guess it’s unavoidable in games like this.

By the way, has anything big or interesting happened with Killing Floor in recent years? I see Tripwire keeping at it with holiday reskins and such. Did any of that stick or impact the game in any meaningful way that might warrant a revisit?

They added quite a few levels to the game for free with these updates. It’s interesting to play these alongside the original levels because you can clearly see which ones had their origin in the free mod. They’re too dark, boxy, rough-looking, janky, and have bad flow. The later-made levels are smoother playing, have a consistent theme, better effects and texture work, and are designed to get players moving around the level on their own. The newer levels aren’t necessarily better, but they definitely have more production value.

Yeah, the design of the older levels definitely felt like they’d been handled in a very fragmented way, as opposed to having any sort of adherence to theme or interesting structure.

Anyway, more levels is a great incentive. If I started playing this with my usual group of scumbags without, I think we’d all realize pretty quickly why we stopped playing. If I remember correctly there’s a thriving community of fan made levels for it as well, so i guess there’s that too on top of everything Tripwire has churned out.

Killing Floor is a fantastically fun game, but it has one big flaw I hope they fix in KF2:

If you join in the middle of a match, you and the team are boned because

a) You start with 0 money, like you would at the start of the game.
b) They were a man down for 1+ rounds, and therefore probably can’t spare you much money. Some possibly died as a result.

To “win” a match you all have to be there from round 1.

Just reading about it makes me want to go level-action-rifle some pasty zombie things in the head.

Mostly this is correct, but it’s a bit more complex. Money is earned and lost in a few ways. You get money for killing monsters, healing survivors, and surviving through the end of the round. That means that, except for the end-of-round survival money, the total amount of available money increases at a relatively constant rate.

Money is “lost” when you die and have to pay for new equipment, and of course you lose the end-of-round survival money. You’ll drop whatever weapon you were holding at the time you died so you can offset that cost by retrieving it, but often players die while frantically trying to heal themselves, so no weapon gets dropped. You also lose money when a player leaves the game, since that kill-bonus money and survival-bonus money is just gone. Some players are nice enough to distribute their money and weapons before quitting, but this is less common.

The nice thing is that high-level players spawn with some equipment, so it’s far less of a problem. Really though, I would like it if late-joiners got some sort of additional bonus based on how late they joined, maybe 50% of what their round-survival bonuses would have been.

Killing Floor 1 has the best feeling pistols in any FPS I’ve ever played. Bit of a weird title to give it, but I will always remember it for that aspect alone (it’s also a pretty fun little game).

I hope the sequel is a more clean experience and less janky (which is the perfect word for how it felt at times).

They already have a Steam page up!

That one KF1 map – the one with the farms and the road and the fields – is so effing awesome. You rarely see a wide open map in this type of game. I hope it they remake it.

I’ve had some good times with Killing Floor, but I can’t say I’m impressed about them saying gore is the most important feature for the sequel. That’s just stupid.

It’s the marketing lead. It’s either something catchy like that or “we put gameplay first” which is as boring as it could get when you’re trying to drum up interest for your new game.

My understanding is that it was based on a Red Orchestra map.

Teaser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUJZW9Wqckg

New screens and stuff from PAX South.

http://tripwireinteractive.com/news/new-killing-floor-2-screens-and-a-report-from-pax-south!.aspx

I’m sure it looks better in motion, but those screens look decidedly last gen.

Gameplay footage with commentary: https://youtu.be/6LeDvDdadxQ

Coming to Steam early access on April 21st.