King Arthur: Knight's Tale - X-HOMM from Neocore

You should be able to click on them, which expands them, taking you to the associated section of the game’s help feature (forget it’s name). I didn’t realize this at first, either, but thought, “Let me click on this,” and boom! I saw the light. (Truthfully, though, it’s probably because I’m anal in that I read everything within a game before really diving in. 😊)

Thanks! I will try that tonight!

Never saw another tutorial window in my session last night, but I did open the “Don’t Open This Door” door and fought the dozen or so dead inside. It wasn’t a cakewalk, but it wasn’t as difficult as I expected either mainly because there weren’t any ranged units in there. Judicious use of chokepoints and the overwatch ability made things go a lot smoother, and Lady Dindraine put on a nice display of her archery talents without ever leaving the doorway. As a reward I found a very nice relic and a bunch of gold in the chest and barrel inside the building.

I also found a couple more hidden chests off on the perimeter of the area, and combined with the haul from the different areas the mission has you clear, I ended up with a really nice (blue) 1-handed upgrade for Mordred and a nice (also blue) armor upgrade that I assigned Kay. I also decided to give the keep to Balan, pissing off Balin in the process (but he was a pain in the ass anyway) and then assigned him as Protector of the Bridge which improved his loyalty a decent amount instantly. Since Balan is Righteous/Pagan, same as my version of Mordred, that should only increase with time and my morality decisions.

I went back to Camelot and built the Merchant. I sold a couple hundred coins worth of useless stuff to him, then dropped 550 on a really nice (blue again) armor upgrade for Mordred (whose previous armor then went to Balan). All those upgrades combined with the relics I found in the mission and handed out to everyone (along with two healing potions per party member thanks to @Scotch_Lufkin’s tip!) has me feeling pretty confident in the next mission (which is level 4 apparently). First though, a new side quest appeared (level 3) that I will probably tackle next to gain more XP and loot.

So far this game is a lot of fun and the story and characters are quite interesting. The detail in every mission location is amazing, they all feel very unique which makes the world much more engaging overall.

I continue to be enchanted by this game. I don’t have a lot of gaming time right now, and the mission-based structure of this game is perfect for my limited schedule. I can throw 45-60 minutes at it each night and get through an entire mission, the distribution of loot afterwards and some Camelot maintenance then save and quit with the feeling I’ve made progress. You can save in the middle of missions as well, which is very handy.

My main party of Mordred, Sir Kay, Lady Dindraine and Sir Balan or Sir Tristan is very well equipped and Level 6 now. I’ve rebuilt all the buildings in Camelot and made quite a few upgrades, and I’ve unlocked additional hero slots as well. The rest of my heroes are Level 5, except for Sir Ector, whom I do not like very much (he’s a jerk), so he gets left behind unless a mission requires him (though I have been using the training grounds to keep his level at least somewhat consistent with the other heroes).

I’m really enjoying the different missions, each with a unique feel and a little story to go along with it. I like how the lore of Avalon is opening up the more missions I go on as well. The tactical combat is good, and remains challenging without feeling too overwhelming. I’ve come to appreciate the skills of heroes like Lady Dindraine, Sir Tristan and Sir Yvain. It’s very satisfying to hide Sir Tristan, move him into position behind a big boss type who is engaged with Mordred and Kay, then surprise backstab for massive damage. Lighting enemy archers on fire and seeing them die from the flames before they can get off a shot of their own on their turn is also quite satisfying.

I’m about 15 hours into this game so far and it’s been great. If you like turn-based tactical combat games and/or the Arthurian legends setting then you will likely enjoy this game. It will undoubtedly go on sale again for the upcoming fall and holiday sales, I highly recommend picking it up when it does.

This is on sale for $30 on Steam through the weekend, and I keep looking at it. Sounds like it varies the combat missions enough to stay interesting? That was why I ended up bouncing off the new Disciples game. The combat felt stale really fast and there wasn’t anything else there to keep me going.

I’m in the same boat. This game has been on my Steam wishlist since Jan of 21.

As the game progresses the enemy unit types progress as well from mainly Brigands and Undead in the first act to Picts, Sidhe and Formorians in Acts 2-4 respectively. The further along you progress, the more skills, effects, conditions and damage types you’ll need to deal with, meaning you can’t just tank your way out of everything like you can early on. You’ll be pouring over loot to compare to equipped items looking to add a few more points of health, armor, action points, movement points, resistances and special abilities that allow your heroes to survive. Tactical combat is tactical combat…you will still be wishing for one more action/movement point, trying to use cover to your best advantage, plotting ways to get at the ranged units in the back…all of the stuff that makes tactical combat games fun. You’ll also be doing it in a dark and corrupted version of Avalon alongside legendary Arthurian knights while unraveling the story of just how Mordred, Arthur, Avalon and everyone in it got to be this messed up.

The $29.24 price at Steam matches the current historical low. It would not surprise me though to see the game go on sale in the fall/holiday sales for the same price or even $24.99. Personally, I paid $30 for it in a summer sale, and it’s been worth every penny already.

Me too. I know the game is worth it, from watching video. My only hesitation is that I bounce off faces so frequently

Hmm…

Oh there is no way I can leave the thread until this is resolved… =)

Jesus, why does the swipe keyboard constantly type faces instead of gave faces gave games

Ah, you’ve saved face :)

I prefer it when you can save your face anywhere

Now that I am reading Cornwell’s The Winter King I need some Arthur in my life and this looks like it will do nicely.

Will the game allow me to kill Lancelot? 😈

Sort of? Lancelot is one of the knights you will discover and have the opportunity to recruit along the way, though he is tied to a particular alignment on the Morality wheel. While directly murdering him isn’t really possible, you could always let the enemy whittle him down, then use an area effect skill or cleave to inflict friendly damage to finish him off. He will then appear in the Crypt in Camelot where you can mourn or rejoice as you wish.

Rejoice I shall!

My man! King Arthur Approves!

firstknight

Well I caved and bought this. Will hopefully get a chance to start it tonight!

I don’t know who that is, I think you mean this guy:
excalibur_1981_plano_critico

“Fucking Guy!”

Oscar Wilde as Lancelot from Lancelot and Guinevere 1961