Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Gotta be honest I’m totally in love with this game. The save system is hard but it makes me really think about if I can find a place to sleep and what decisions i’m making.

Usually not a fan of the survival elements but it’s really grounded here. This whole game is trying to simulate what’s it like to be a peasant in this feudal system and it’s very rewarding once you accept it.

Also, the dev’s were very smart to allow you an easy out (just go to a bath house - it saves the game, and heals/feeds/cleans you for a small fee.)

If you’re a fan of RPGs this game very much deserves your attention. Highly recommend PC w/ Mouse and Board.

JG

Good to hear!

So not recommended in your eyes?

I played for a few hours today. The only major bug I’ve run into was once when I tried to jump a fence and I ended up stuck in the map. That being said, there are lots of little indivisible walls and lips and things that get in the way of movement… I’m sure that won’t be my last bug in this area.

I found combat to be frustrating for now, but it might just take some time to get used to.

The save system is dumb as all hell… overall I have mixed feelings on the game right now. Certainly intrigued… the world looks great, the plot interests me… but you can tell this thing is rough rough rough around the edges.

Finally completed the prologue. The save system was a pain mostly because the game shunts from from one thing to the next in order to set up the story and move you through the tutorials. They don’t give you any place to save your game and the autosaves are (to me) very far apart. But now that I’m out of that, things are a lot more open ended and finding a place to save your game is pretty easy.

Aside from some silly bugs, I’m really enjoying it. It feels a little bit like Darklands but with a greater focus on narrative.

Same here. I’m waiting for this potential gem to see some polishing.

I love the idea of the game, a world with no fantasy elements, no zombies, etc. I’ll hold off for now (I’ll be on PS4) until they get the edges smoothed off.

One question on the save system: Sometimes, like in Witcher 3, I’d deliberately save at a spot where I suspected my choices may take me down one branch of the game vs another. Like, e.g. choosing one of the ladies vs. the other. The idea being to go back to that decision point later and play the other path just to see how the game looks in that direction.

Is that doable here?

Yep me too. I think I’d really like it but I’m in no hurry right now.

I’ll pick this up when it gets to the $30 mark. That should give them time to smooth out the rough edges.

Wait a minute. No zombies??? Every game has zombies.

I finally finished the “tutorial” area and came to the second keep. I must say, if you have time to sit through the game uninterrupted, this game is very attractive and interesting. I enjoy the cut scenes and the story. I enjoyed exploring the first keep and it’s towne. It really gives me a good feel of what a small towne is like - heck, if this is how attractive Shroud of Avatar is, I’d be happy playing just one game this year.

But that saves - it gotta be fixed. I don’t have the luxury of sitting for hours at one go. I can appreciate no save anywhere but please let us have “save on exit”.

Lastly, whoever design the controls when you are on a horse back need to be skinned alive. Seriously who puts you onto a horse and then does not use the mouse for turning of direction? Instead, you needed to use WASD to steer the horse, which is fine… BUT, the first time you sit on a horse is when you are being pursuit by 3-4 horsemen and one of them tries to crossbow you to death. And so, you need to GALLOP and that pervert who design the default controls expect you to press L Shift to gallop. And so your middle finger is on W, your ring finger is on L Shift (I can’t use little finger on L Shift as I don’t have the acrobatic strength to do so)… and you could only use the long finger on D to steer right. What do I end up doing? I use my right hand and cross over my left hand to press the A to steer left. Why can’t we use the mouse to steer!!! Jeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz… this game just make it so hard to like it.

Curious, I thought this game was supposed to be historical/realistic (at least to a point). Wouldn’t a crossbow on horseback be a one shot weapon?

In the heat of trying not to get killed, I honestly did not ponder whether they are using bow or crossbow. I know I am being shot at… wait; the arrow on my thigh - that’s an arrow, alright. My bad. Apologies.

I was just curious. Apparently mounted crossbows were a thing according to Wikipedia. Don’t know how fast reloading was, but with later crossbows they could reload on horseback.

Afaik crossbows are not in the game because they didn’t have time to implement them, one of the opportunity cost victims.

Not really. Arrows and bolts almost never killed people and if you had armor they weren’t especially effective unless they hit you in the eye or something crazy.

I didn’t really give it a good amount of time, but then again, I don’t feel like giving it another go either, so that would be a no for on me.
I didn’t even mention how much I hated the combat, which was ridiculously hard. I don’t want to have to think about from which side someone’s sword is going to strike while in combat.

I think you REALLY need to love the realistic part of this game to really enjoy it.

You did not enjoy your time in Skyrim either,right? I’ve heard this mentioned alongside it quite a few times.

I meant one shot, as in it would have been difficult/slow to reload on horseback. According to Wikipedia, which is always correct, it was used as a one shot weapon on horseback, until later technologies made it easier to reload. Of course this is all irrelevant since crossbows aren’t in the game.

I am at wits end in regards to the lock picking. It is difficult and yet, so many of the key quest depends on this skill to proceed…