Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Yea, spending time in jail is really not a big deal in this game.

Unless you go to jail at the very beginning of the game. I was like uh…guys?

Hey at least you get the

achievement for that :)

So I picked up the DLC from the Epic sale ($10 after coupon!). I bounced off the game hard - twice - on Xbox, mainly because I found the combat and lockpicking impossible. I’m hoping a mod or three will make it playable on PC for me.

Any suggestions?

You really do not need a mod on PC if you use mouse for lockpicking for the first few levels. It is vastly easier than with controller. Once you level it up a bit you can use controller too. Plus there is the simplified lockpicking option in the menu.

Yeah, I tried the simplified lockpicking when it was added. That was the second time I gave up on the game.

Lockipicking isn’t that big a part of the game, as far as I can recall. I think it’s required… once? Twice? But otherwise you can do without it. Combat no quite so much.

This so much. I couldn’t pick a lock using my XBox controller, but had no trouble with a mouse.

I know some of the treasures required lockpicking. Also there is nothing as frustrating as beating a couple Cumans or Bandits and then finding all their goodies are hidden behind a lock you can’t open.

This thread has made me very interesting in playing KCD, but I can’t for the life of me figure out why.

My experience has been that lockpicking is fairly easy on PC with keyboard/mouse. Practice a bunch on the chest behind the mill when you first start out to get the basic control scheme down, and from that point on it is by far the easier of the two mini-game skills. I am resigned to always be completely worthless as a pickpocket, I just cannot seem to master the dexterity required to time things right, move to the proper circle, snag the item and move back before being discovered. The couple of times I needed to pickpocket something to advance a quest I had to wait until the person was sleeping, and even then I had to reload several times.

Lockpicking on the other hand has been the most lucrative skill for me. I use it constantly, I’m at 15 now, can pick Very Hard chests, and have made a fortune off just the treasure maps and bandit/Cuman camp chests alone. You can skill up by picking every locked door and chest you see (just don’t get spotted). I never rob the chests of common people or of the NPCs I like, but I will pick all the locks for the experience.

I am currently trying to work up my Archery skill. Archery is very well designed in the game from a mechanics standpoint, but horribly broken from an experience/leveling one. You would think that taking part in the archery range contests scattered all over the game world would help build archery…but NOPE, they barely add anything to your experience even when you win them. Hunting levels it slightly faster, but even that is fairly tedious. Shooting bad guys works well, but is fraught with obvious perils, especially when your skill is low. So far the best Archery training I have found is playing Chumps in Ledtechko.

Visit the archer standing on the little island between the planks crossing the river in town and he’ll tell you about Chumps, an archery game where you shoot at logs floating down the river. You bet coin on each contest, but it’s fairly easy to come in second place (you get your money back) or first place (triple your money) and each contest has you shooting 20 arrows (which are supplied to you), and with every hit you gain decent experience. I had just raised my Bow skill to 4 and went hunting, I shot several deer and only got 23% of the way to level 5, while using lots of my own arrows. I went to Ledetchko and played 3 rounds of Chumps, won around 100 groschen and picked up the other 77% to get me to level 5, all in about 20 minutes. Plus, Chumps is kind of fun!

I have such a love/hate relationship with archery. Particularly, the decision to not give you an aiming reticle. It’s a ballsy move, and it makes you have to kind of work at it. It makes actually landing a hit feel like a win. But I’ll be damned if I don’t STILL struggle with it, and I’m approaching the end of the main story mission. (Just nabbed the DLC over the weekend, but haven’t really had a chance to play it yet.)

That said, archery has also led to one of my favorite moments in the game thus far (even if it felt a bit cheap at the time.) Was pretty early in, and I was still really struggling with combat. (Oh, who am I kidding? I still do!) There were two bandits in the woods who I had to take out for the mission, and they just kept repeatedly kicking my ass – they were well armored, and I was only level 2 or 3, still really struggling with the sword. So I waited until nightfall, when they were asleep. My stealth wouldn’t allow me to get very close, but I was able to pop one of them in the head with an arrow. The other of course woke up and rushed me (before I could get another arrow ready) but didn’t have time to dress or anything, and it made the battle a WHOLE lot easier.

Was one of those early moments that made me really appreciate the way they approach the game design, and one of my favorite “win” moments with archery. (Each successful kill of a hare still feels like a victory, too. Even at a fairly high level, I still miss…a lot.)

I gave up on archery early on. By the end of the game I might be able to hit a rabbit from 10 feet with 5-6 tries. I did shoot arrows in the general direction of enemies (I don’t think I ever hit one) just to try to get their attention.

I started this up on the PC through Game Pass.

• I put graphics on Very High, with high detail textures. It looks waaaaay better than the Xbox version that I had started briefly.
  • The main reason it looks better is the lighting and the detailed textures. The lighting really makes all the opening scenes look different. Like a fireplace completely gives a room that red/orange light glow, where as the Xbox version had a flat yellow light throughout every scene.
  • Unfortunately, even though the FPS counter claims I’m bouncing between 33 and 44 frames a second, depending on the scene, it feels really, really choppy. Any tips on what settings to turn down that won’t reduce the graphical fidelity but make the game look and run smoother, especially with a 2009-era CPU?

Edit: I turned the Physics from Very High to Low (the most obvious CPU-bound item). That helped a lot. But it’s still hitches so still not smooth.

KCD really needs 6 core minimum, 8 core ideal CPU + SSD for a completely hitching-free 60fps experience.

I had it run pretty good on my system, although I did have problems with the occasional crash.

Well, it looks pretty hitch-free on the Xbox, but it’s nowhere near as good looking. But I think my CPU is better than the Xbox’s, and my graphics card is way better (980Ti). So theoretically if I can find the right settings, I can have it look better, and still be smooth. Unless they’re doing something on the PC besides GPU stuff that makes it much more CPU intensive.

I tried it again today with a few more settings turned down. Unfortunately, it’s starting to look more and more like the Xbox version now, but still has the hitching. Hmmmm.

What CPU do you have?

Maybe you can try limiting framerate to 30 to simulate console performance.

I have an I5-750. 4 Cores.

I did continue for quite a bit today even with the hitching. Just like with Bethesda games, you kind of get used to the hitching after a while.

Everything leading up to “Run!” and then the mission itself was pretty well done. It kind of reminded me of “A Plague Tale: Innocence”, except that game was more intense and emotional.

I’m enjoying Kingdom Come: deliverance quite a bit. I think I’ll buy it when it’s on sale. Is the DLC worth getting too? If so, maybe wait for the complete edition to be on sale, if they have one.

I’ll probably wait until I have either a better PC though, or if it gets released on next gen consoles. Even though I say I get used to the hitching, at this point I have the settings turned down so low the game doesn’t look very pretty anymore.

I didn’t buy any of the DLC but I have seen people praise a few of them. “A Woman’s Lot” I think that is the name of i, is highly thought of.

I very much recommend the complete edition, it has some really funny and some really unfunny (but good) quests, plus you get an (optional) dog companion and get to rebuild a village. But get the Royal edition when it is on some steam sale, the windows store (gamepass) version is less stable - I read about some people getting their saves corrupted and everytime I asked what version they played, it was the gamepass one. Something with that stupid ass file encryption nonsense I bet.