Kingdom Come: Deliverance

And after 183 hours of play, I have finally finished Kingdom Come : Deliverance.

Picking up from the previous post, I did end up reloading and making sure Kuno survived the battle with Zoul’s forces. We ended up losing The Stone and Fletcher though, my two favorite Bastards. Zoul’s plate pieces made a nice upgrade to my personal armor too, so that was a nice bonus.

I then spent the next two dozen hours of playtime on the final main quest events which all tie together and are on somewhat of a schedule, so you can’t stray too far or you risk not being where you need to be when the right time comes. I spent the downtime during these events doing the Bandit/Cuman/Brigand hunting quests for Bernard/Robard/Sebastian. Sebastian’s quest line, Interlopers, had far and away the hardest battles I have fought by myself. That final camp contains eight very well-equipped brigands, and they like to sound an alarm when attacked, so you really have to be stealthy and try to lure them off into the woods one or two at a time. You could also attack in the middle of the night when they’re mostly unarmored, but where is the challenge in that?

Finally, with all side quests and tasks completed, I fought the final battle (no spoilers), watched the end credits roll, then, to my surprise and delight, started the Epilogue! That was more history lesson than adventure, though I did run around a bit finishing a couple of loose ends from before and fighting some random bandits and Cumans in the process. Then it was finally time to meet up with Sir Hans and his men and literally ride off into the sunset.

I have to admit, when I started Kingdom Come : Deliverance, I was more than skeptical that I would even be playing past the Prologue. The initial difficulty of both the UI and combat were very frustrating. Perseverance pays off in this game though, and I am happy I stuck with it. It has ended up being exactly the gaming experience I needed over the past few months, given everything that has gone on in my life and the world in general. Medieval Bohemia proved to be the perfect escape from the stresses of 2020.

In the end, I think that the combination of excellent historical research and atmosphere, quality writing and pacing, beautiful graphics and music, interesting and engaging characters and overall high quality production values in general make Kingdom Come : Deliverance a game I would recommend to everyone without hesitation. I had a blast playing this game, and even after 180+ hours I was sad to see it end. A big part of that was the fantastic voice acting job done by Tom McKay as Henry. The decision to not just use Tom’s voice, but actually model Henry in Tom’s likeness somehow made the connection to the character even more real, and I thoroughly enjoyed Henry’s facial expressions, body language and dialog during the games thousands of interactions. He became like an old friend, and it was hard to say goodbye when the game came to an end. I look forward to another chapter in Henry’s story, and in the meantime Kingdom Come : Deliverance will take it’s place among my Top 50 Games of All Time. My thanks to Warhorse Studios and everyone involved for making such a fantastic game and DLC that provided me with so many hours of enjoyment.

In the absence of a like button, “like” :)

Epilogue was pleasant surprise for me as well, I enjoyed the politics cutscene at the end that basically shows Henry how little he knows about anything.

That is how I felt as well. If you can get thru the first 10% of the game you are in for a great ride.

this is on sale on psn for around 10 bucks. Can anyone give some pros and cons to help me decide whether I should grab it or not?

Well, what of it I played on PC (haven’t finished it, story of my life) was fun and cool. If you have any interest in the middle ages I’d say it’s well worth ten bucks, although I have no idea what performance on consoles is like.

I’m still caught in the same situation. The PC version (through Game Pass at the time) looks way better than Xbox (also through Game Pass at the time). But the PC version ran horribly on my computer. So I guess I’m just waiting for an eventual PC upgrade before I get this game, or hoping that they issue an upgrade to the Xbox version’s graphics for Series X|S. (Edit: Hmmm, there’s people on youtube claiming Warhorse are NOT going to do a PS5/Series X update. Understandable. PC Upgrade it is I guess).

Been a while since I played it (more like tried it out; think I put about 3 hours into it), but it looked and ran fine on the Xbox One X.

Need to get back to it sometime. Love the “realism” it’s going for but combat was kicking my ass big time and I got frustrated and quit.

See the last two paragraphs of my post a couple of posts above yours for a detailed description of why I loved Kingdom Come : Deliverance.

Pros : Setting, main character acting, beautiful graphics in a seemless open world, soundtrack, depth, story, free of any major bugs or issues.
Cons : Hard as hell at the start, but stick with it and you’ll be rewarded.

I really enjoyed the game and the setting. It does have a very difficult, some would say, learning curve at the beginning. Part of that is because of an early event that happens and part of it is by design. This isn’t a game where you start and you can just be good at combat. Sure some may say that, but for the vast majority (based on what I have read on forums) of players there is a shock at how easy it is to die at the start. Not like Dark Souls easy, but the game I think tries to give you the feeling of being a know nothing apprentice that has to learn to be a warrior. You aren’t born to it.

I played it on PC and did have some crash problems if I remember right. The game doesn’t have a quick save, but it has a consumable that actually is much more available than you might think that will let you save the game whenever you want. They are sold like potions.

OK, I grabbed this on sale but then, you know, the shit hit the fan in DC and I’ve been on that thread for days.

Anyway, just started up yesterday and I’m hoping I can see this game through. It’s definitely got a different feel than any other game I’ve played. It’s a gorgeous game, though, even on base ps4. I love the aesthetic of the UI, especially.

Question: I think I’ll be fine getting a handle on the combat, but is it possible to simply avoid lockpicking in this game? Even this “simplified mode” they implemented just doesn’t click with me. I think it’s too many iterations of the Fallout/New Vegas/Skyrim lockpicking that’s overruling my brain here. I’d rather not get frustrated and just roleplay as a Henry who can’t pick a lock to save his life.

I believe it may be possible to complete the main quest line without ever needing to pick a lock, however you’ll have to find a different way to get a couple of required items at certain points. I consider lockpicking to be an essential skill in KCD because so many of the side quests practically require it and many of the chests and containers you’ll find in bandit camps, abandoned buildings, caves, etc. are locked.

I’ve heard the lock pick mini-game is much more diffocult on console than it is on PC (it was ridiculously easy on PC once I got the hang of it, unlike pickpocketing, which was a nightmare on PC). Even so, I’d suggest sticking with it and gaining levels for later in the game. You will meet a Miller early in the game (after you finish the Prologue) who has a chest you can practice on freely (no fear of arrest) to gain several levels easily early on.

Good to know. Thanks!

It is pretty damn unique as far as RPGs go.

You’re welcome. One thing I wish I’d known when I first started is that there are several opportunities like that early on in the game where you can gain significant skill increases in certain skills just by “practicing” over and over with certain NPCs or objects. The Miller is good for both lockpicking and pickpocketing, and a bit later Captain Bernard is good for skill ups on combat skills and several attributes (which raise as you train in combat). Many tasks in the game become significantly less difficult if you’re more skilled (especially combat, as it opens up more combo moves and passive skills as you advance), so learning all you can early on is a big boost to your overall effectiveness. I walked away from Bernard after learning the basics, only much later in the game did I return and learn a couple of additional skills that would have made dozens of fights way easier for me had I just soaked up everything Bernard had to teach me.

I hated the lockpicking or the pickpocket skills when I played through the first time and completed the game without too much trouble. I ignored the whole Miller quest line first time around. The skills do make things easier, but aren’t essential.

Yes, but you will miss a few things and probably get a little frustrated. But there are two guys who will teach you and one has a practice area. Use them just like you would your fighting skills and you can level up. Doesn’t take much before you can open most locks. There will still be some that will be impossible for you though.

The lock pick game is really hard with a controller. I actually played the game with a controller, but switched to key board to open locks. Much easier.

It is also worthwhile to fight in the contest arena (forget what they called that in game). You will get your ass handed to you at first but you can skills by doing it and eventually you can win.

I have the Royal Edition of this game on the Windows Store wishlisted. But it’s always $40. It never goes on sale. The Xbox version goes on sale all the time (including now) for dirt cheap. The Steam version goes on sale all the time (including being part of a Humble Bundle right now). But the Win10 version? Always $40.

Maybe they’ve just forgotten about it whoever arranges their sales on various platforms.

Why do I want the Win10 version?

1. It has the gorgeous PC visuals. The visuals on Xbox are a large downgrade.
  2. It has the Xbox achievements.

Best of both worlds!

(Also I have a save game in the Win10 version from when the game was on Game Pass).

Also, it’s very annoying that the Royal Edition is $13 at Epic Game Store. They couldn’t price it $2 higher so that I could get $10 from Epic?

I know you are big on xbox achievements, but I would not recommend the windows store version. I remember reading on reddit some people having issues with their savegames on the gamepass (windows store) version. The way the game files are encrypted there can lead to some unreliabilities.

On Steam version I have over 200 hours in my full playthrough, without any issues.

Btw, Switch version of Kingdom Come was announced. Made by Saber and supported by Warhorse (who are making yet unannounced KCII).

I know Saber managed to get Crysis and Witcher 3 to Switch in surprisingly good state, but I am still really curious how KCD is going to look and run, given how…imperfectly it ran on last gen base consoles.

Thanks for the warning!

Yeah, if the price on Epic store was $2 higher, it would be only $5 total and a total no-brainer. But $13 still seems a good price for the Royal edition, both on GoG right now and Epic Game Store. I assume those two versions are the same as Steam version since none of the files should be encrypted.

Also yeah, the Switch version is going to look terrible compared to the PC version. I played the Xbox version for a while when it was on game pass, but I couldn’t stand how much worse it looked compared to the PC version. Switch version will look even less detailed!