Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - More ape world madness

Directed by Wes Ball (Maze Runner)

I keep waiting for the battle scenes to depict throwing feces.

The “original” trilogy (i.e., the Caesar movies) were way better than they had any right to be. They somehow managed to make more developed characters with motion capture and mostly non-verbal communication, than most similar movies can manage with actual human actors.

I hope this ends up just as good, but I don’t have high hopes. So many ways they can mess this up.

I would start with Wes Ball, the director of the Maze Runner movies.

This makes me realize I’ve still not seen War for the Planet of the Apes. I should fix that. Loved the first two.

So this appears to be “Beneath the Planet of the Apes”?

Okay, that isn’t nearly as “Beneath” as the first looked. But to quote it “they aren’t telling us everything.” Which is a good thing.

Looks good. The callbacks to the first trilogy in particular seems well done.

Hopefully the storytelling and the villains are as well done as in the first trilogy. I’m a little bit worried by the King here, because he comes of as a bit of “moustache-twirling evil” - one of the thing which I think made the original trilogy work, was that the “villains” in these films had motivations that made sense - i.e., more than just “power”. The best villains are the ones who are the hero from their own POV, and whom you might even agree with, from their POV.

IMO, villains whose only motivation is power for power’s sake tend to be weak from a narrative point of view.