Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is such a lousy name

There were various reasons for the stylistic changes in DA2, most of which were expected and broadcast (rather loudly) before release.

On the other hand, ME3 is being developed by the very same people who did ME2 as far as I know.

Plus, from the videos we’ve seen they don’t seem to be messing with the winning formula too much for ME3. It’s definitely a pre-order for me.

As for Kingdoms of Amalur, I don’t know. The demo is ok I guess, but I’m not really a fantasy guy and whatever itch I had for this kind of game it’s being taken care of quite well by Skyrim. I may come back to this one later in the year when it’s cheap.

Agreed. So often the importance of ‘hooking’ the player is lost on developers. Zelda has had this problem in the last few releases(bloated and dull opening sections). The lore and mythology should be eased in based on circumstance, not as a history lesson.

I groan the moment a game opens up with some long diatribe about warring factions, or aging prophecies, or flashbacks of named countries/characters I will forget the moment they leave the screen. Fruitless and pointless exposition because the hook has yet to be planted yet for the audience to even take interest.

Agreed with the awful naming of the game too. Kingdoms of Amalur…what? don’t care. Reckoning subtitle: Still don’t care. Already I get the sense that I am an outsider on the subject based on the game title alone, apprehensive about even ‘jumping’ in.

I played the PS3 demo and as a bit of a sucker for even mediocre RPGs, I’d probably pick this up. It seemed like good fluff to kill time when I’m out of other games to play - it seems like a good looking, mostly competent, by-the-books action RPG. However, the changing UI in chat dialogues was confusing and annoying and I encountered some MAJOR sound issues on the PS3 demo. Most of the audio cut out after spending 20 minutes on the demo - I could only hear the occasional footstep and crate smash. After a while it came back and then went out again. I would not play a retail release with those kinds of issues.

I basically haven’t played any major RPG releases in over a year, so for now I’m filing this in my potential backlog behind Skyrim, Witcher 2, Dragon Age 2, Fallout New Vegas and Dungeon Siege 3. So, maybe I’ll consider getting to it by 2013 if I can remember what it was bloody called.

I only just now noticed this post, but by god if this isn’t somebody’s post of the week in Tom’s gamer podcast then there is no justice.

Well, that plus the supposed unique selling point – an engaging, almost-brawler style combat system. But it’s not clear how good it is. I don’t understand it yet because I was too busy equipping a fire staff to break up spider webs blocking my path.

Yes: if the selling point of your game is intricate, brawleresque combat, let us see that, and not the giant rats, gnomes, etc.

Why people copy the mass effect dialog? is something from the consoles? why even have a circular dialog? do people on the consoles have a camera aiming has is face checking what direction are looking at or something? Poor game, pooor pooor game. So confused betwen Skyrim, Mass Effect and Fifa … I mean, Fable.

Actually, the dialog wheel as implemented in the mass effect games is strong design. Options on the left explore the current conversation node, options on the right advance to the next node. The top right option is always good, the middle neutral, and the bottom asshole. This is a fully thought-out and polished UI element. It works better on consoles with a little joystick but completely translates to PCs as well.

Thing is, only mass effect uses it that way. Everybody else just says “a circle? sure!”. TOR never uses the left side at all, and doesn’t link light/dark-side choices to location either, as far as I can tell. Completely asinine.

And of course this Amalur game randomly switches between right-side circles and baldur’s gate-style lists, because the developers don’t give a shit about polish.

I am still convinced this game will be fun to play. Cant wait for release day :-)

Hmm, the demo crashes when I start the game. New drivers maybe?

There is a reason for this, actually. Conversations that branch are wheeled, dialogue that is just info/backstory requests is listed. The idea is that tells you up-front if something is just extra info or actually part of the story/quest. I kinda picked that up from a video 'cause the demo, well, it’s putting me off. The explanation seemed to be correct from the little of the demo I played.

I completely agree that it’s a rubbish implementation and nowhere near as good as the Mass Effect version. Ah, well, Xenoblade Chronicles will have to be my long-term RPG unless I get Dragon Knight Saga, from the look of things. Short of exciting reviews 'cause this looked like I would enjoy it.

I played it again this afternoon with a different race and build and yeah, the combat is a total blast. It’s moved up to possible day one purchase. I need a good action-RPG while I’m waiting for D3 and Torchlight 2.

I can’t argue with the dumbness of the lore-dump that so many RPG’s can’t seem to avoid. Please, developers, stop doing that. Feed us story as we play the game. Frontloading a ton of story just insures that I’m going to tune out almost immediately.

quite a bit of fun, but OI that inventory interface is awful. seriously, to equip a new sword i have go into Inventory->Weapon->Primary, WAT? UX design, people. it’s not just for spreadsheets and web sites.

They must have copied the skyrim UI… RUNS

also, this game needs torchlight-grade random loot tables. i had like five STURDY LEATHER vests with the same stats within 15 minutes.

That’s not necessary. Right-click on the object when you first find it, select Compare, and then Equip. You then choose to make it your primary or secondary weapon.

I played through as a mage, and found a fair assortment of stuff, including a couple of green quality items in a pool of water.

I thought the demo was decent, but it didn’t blow me away. One issue I had was that I paused it this morning to go to work (started a conversation then left). But when I got home tonight, the mouse control was out of sync or something so while I could drive my toon around, I couldn’t move the vertical camera where I wanted. Made completing the game a challenge.

I do like how the combat options open up more as you get a few skill points into the different attacks. And the destiny stuff seems like it should let you switch it up if you get tired of being one “class.”

One thing I couldn’t figure out, though: is there really no way to see the stats of items when you’re browsing through a list? I found a number of merchants who sold tons of items, but I couldn’t figure out a way to inspect their wares without buying them. Seemed like a strange omission.

I also agree the UI feels very console-ish on the PC, and not in a good way. But the combat and character development seemed appealing enough that I will probably get it.

I did hate the silent protagonist, though. I guess I’m used to having my guy talk, from SWTOR.

I believe you’re able to right-click on the item and select Compare.

Played the demo some more. It is definitely a kitchen-sink design, with a little bit of everything thrown in – the problem being, not only have they thrown in things I like, but also things I hate, like canned jump spots, exclamation points over heads, and … ugh … QTES.

Anyway, once I adjusted my expectations from “A Proper RPG” to “Fable++” I began to enjoy myself. The two things that will probably get me to buy it are the art style (a 100% WOW ripoff, but a good WOW ripoff, which is actually rare) and the combat. There’s a lot to be said for squashing sprites with a giant flaming hammer.

Still, it’s going to come after many things that are in my backlog, meaning that at this rate I may not get to it until 2013.