King's Bounty 2

I did like the Disciples games and had already wishlisted that. It’s been a long time since the last one.

Yes, the previous games all had a strategic overworld map much like HoMM, and I’m very sad to see that go in this one. However, the tactical combat in this one looks significantly better than the combat in Disciples 3. The combat in that one ruined any chance that I might like that entry.

What makes you say this? The opening of the first video ont he steam page seems to show overworld exploration off, and the steam page even has this blurb:

And mentions gathering resources.

The gameplay video seems to show a structure more like King’s Bounty. Run around an overworld with one party and do quests and fight stuff. There did also seem to be a single home city that you build up over the course of the campaign, but I get the impression that’s no different from other RPGs with a home base.

Or Disciples 1/2. Sure, they also had cities you could capture but they were very different from the main castles which you built up during maps. I wouldn’t call capturing the neutral cities a core element of disciples gameplay.

That’s true, but it was still about map control and there were AI players that you were fighting against. I could be wrong, but I don’t see any of that here.

So, this is supposedly coming out very soon, but there is not much hype it seems.

Also, TenCent are acquiring the developers.

I, for one, welcome our Chinese overlords.

Funny, I don’t think I saw them buying a Russian company before. 1C is one of the biggest Russian companies. They make office software and web portals and MMOs and so on. I wonder if 1C Entertainment is part of their company or Tencent buys all of it. Even if it’s just videogame subsidiary company it’s huge. They have more than a hundred games on Steam: Report: Tencent to acquire King’s Bounty developer 1C Entertainment | Game World Observer

There was an article linked to the one I linked where the authors were discussing the idea that once TenCent acquires a controlling stake, they’ll push for certain, i.e. Chinese friendly, values and viewpoints to be dispersed via the game.

Cultural wars basically, as in actual cultural struggles, not the current libtard/femcuck/sjw etc furore.

So KB2 won’t have skeletons, gotcha.

From what I understand Chinese are protective of what you put into Chinese market. They don’t care what you sell elsewhere. Current Hollywood adherence to Chinese cultural norms is because they want to sell movies there and can’t buyout Chinese censors.

Activision Blizzard and Paradox Interactive are good examples. Tencent owns 5% of both. Blizzard depends on Chinese MMO market so it agressively conforms to Chinese norms (adjusts artwork for their market, bans “Hong Kong” in chat etc) while Paradox devs have never produced a game that would be legal to sell in China, I think. Even Stellaris didn’t pass the inspection.

I’m sure it will all work out just fine.

Can’t have them working 84 hours a week if they want to carve out some time for gaming.

As someone who has worked an 84 hour week, I can confirm this!

Should anyone wish to practice their russian:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1111899114?t=0h0m1s&tt_content=twitch_logo&tt_medium=embed

Reviews seem kind of underwhelming.

PC Gamer going for the box quote.

King’s Bounty 2 is a unique game, but it’s uniquely mediocre.

I just found out it uses Denuvo Anti Tamper. So I’m definitely waiting for a deep discount.

Yeah there didn’t seem much vibe about this…

oddly enough, the new Disciples looks like it might be a better Kings Bounty game.

That’s really unfortunate, I was looking forward to this. I was upset that Disciples was going the direction that it did, but if it’s a good stand in for Kings Bounty, maybe that’ll be okay.

Oh well. I’d say we already have plenty of good games like this, so it’s fine.

Wonder what happened to the crew that made the last King’s Bounty. Sounds like they went to other places and this was left to whoever remained behind.