King's Bounty - Warriors of the North

But each 1% at that point lowers damage by 10%. Consider an attack that would do 1000 damage. With 90% reduction, you take 100. With 91% reduction, you take 90. With 95% reduction, you take 50. 1% is VERY significant once you pass the 90% threshold.

Tim, I have bad news for you, I don’t think it does.

While it expands on some of the ideas of AP and Crossworlds there’s enough difference to make each game exploring.

Mind you I am only 3 hours in (300+ on AP and CW).

I have a question about the first boss fight…

Question

[spoiler]The giant spider boss. I am playing a viking, and I a have no idea how to kill him. I have gotten somewhat close, but most of my damage comes at the beginning of the fight, but by the end my troops are just nickel and dimeing him to death.

I have tried heavy melee, but they get bogged down in the waves of spiders. When the boss moves, my troops take several turns to fight thier way back to the boss again. I have also tried ranged, but they can’t do diddly while spiders are next to them.

Has anyone beaten him and if so, what troop composition did you use? Any special buffs (I do not have too many considering that I am a warrior type).[/spoiler]

Armored Princess is a fantastic game on its own merits. It also has Princess Amelie, and I’d sure like to be her best friend who she takes shopping and talks about boys with, if you know what I’m saying.

Have you killed everything else you can?

I am having trouble turning in the moonstone it seems to think I don’t have enough crystal or money which I clearly do.

Plus she has the most combat suitable armor ever!

Does anyone find that the first hours WOTN is not as good as AP or even KB?

It’s too restrictive and goes on for too long. I find it tedious. Hopefully the second island opens up more choices.

So far 4 battles with minor loses. A first in any KB game for me. The beginning troops aren’t that great and you are forced to use them exclusively.

That armor makes perfect in-game sense. Leaders do not fight in the KB universe, but they DO affect their army’s morale.

That explains why the high morale icons are happy faces :-)

Bugs of all kinds.

Typoes in dialog boxes. Some skald songs are either broken or are just completely different from descriptions. CTD after battle.

It’s not quite at old-time Interplay levels of buggyness, but it’s up there with Troika or Paradox.

I do like the realignment of classes, though. So when do you get some kind of rage upgrades? I got to level 7 warrior with the same old viking vortex. I have a sneaking suspicion there is hidden UI for upgrading it… Edit: never mind, just takes a long time to meet Ms. Stunning.

Because these games are so long I tend to only play once. I played through the original as a mage, and AP/CW as a Paladin (in progress), so I’m likely going to try whatever is the equivalent of the third type. Is it still the easiest as a mage and hardest as the warrior-type? Or am I getting that backwards?

Did you beat the encounter? I am fairly sure I have killed everything I can. There might be a mob here or there on some of the other islands (I have only access to 4) I missed. I do not think another level (I am 16) will make any difference.

I did but playing as a Mage. Hmmm kinda tough for advice. Have you tried trolls for regeneration, engineers for bot repair, Jotun as meat shields?

Have you gotten all three upgrades for no loss? Spamming stone skin for damage reduction? On normal a fail state is possible.

Upgrades? Trolls? I never found trolls. The most exotic units that were available to me were dwarven gunners and alchemists. The latter only had a grand total of 10 available.

Anyway I did beat it although it was some luck. It took me about 7 tries. I noticed I had about 9 scrolls of summon animal and I used that every round and the distraction helped me kill the boss. Even with that strategy it took a few tries. I used all viking units and some snow bears sold on that same map.

Yeah advice is hard to give since available units are somewhat random which is awesome. Did you enjoy the wtf change after?

Avoid the friendzone trap.

It changes slightly depending on the game but it usually falls that warrior is the easiest and mage is the most difficult, with the paladin falling somewhere in between.

Thanks for the correction. I can’t remember why I thought it was the opposite. By the time I jump into the game, I’m hoping that a patch will have taken care of some of the more obvious glitches Miramon mentioned earlier.

In ap and so far in wotn Mage is clearly superior to warrior and paladin. Fights take longer but the ability to summon massive amounts of powerful allies let you take down “invincible” con mobs.

Well, in the original Warrior was possibly easiest early on, but it got extremely difficult later on. When I asked about this, other players would state Mage was easier because of summoning and protection spells etc.
For that reason I was stuck for an eternety in that labyrinth with Dragons.
Eventually, I cheated myself an uber-stack of some top-tier unit, but even this one was bruised up pretty badly when I finally made it through the labyrinth. Faced the prospect of either cheating me another uber-stack or simply giving up on the game, I chose the latter.

Regardless, I liked the original KB (or the original remake, if you want), but when I toyed with the idea of picking this up, I reinstalled the first one and … let’s say I think it completely consumed my tolerance for it’s quirks.

The reliance on constantly “returning to base” to get reinforcements, the AI stacks who jump on your weakest/most vulnerable units (typically ranged attackers) which you have little means to protect efficiently, the abundance of fight you can win, but which all have the potential to end up being phyrric victories … I don’t think I can stand this another time.
Also, as shown in the original game, you can screw yourself relatively early on by using up too many reinforcements of good units, and (in the original) then the game can screw you up by not spawning enough useful reinforcements/new units in the stronholds you uncover.

Also, from the first reviews, it sounds that this sequel is as boring as the first KB was in it’s worst moments - appearently there’s basically one type of “creatures” for you to recruit (Vikings) for a long time, with the majority of opposition belonging to one type as well (Undead).

I guess - after my disappointments with XCOM - I now know how it feels on the opposite end of the spectrum, when you’d like some beefy changes with the original concept left unchanged but you get a clone with unchanged mechanics and gameplay.
Cool for all you unreserved fans of KB, though.

rezaf

This game has a lot of bugs, they already did a steam update for some of the crashes but it still CTDs randomly. Does not feel as polished as Legend or AP.

What bugs me severely is the Auto Combat AI, it uses hardly any spells and it doesn’t use rage spells at all(!) This means you have to micromanage even the easiest of battles to minimize losses and it gets quite tedious. I sincerely hope they patch in this functionality but I’m not certain they will.