Kiss Giuliani Goodbye

From The Politico:

As New York mayor, Rudy Giuliani billed obscure city agencies for tens of thousands of dollars in security expenses amassed during the time when he was beginning an extramarital relationship with future wife Judith Nathan in the Hamptons, according to previously undisclosed government records.

The documents, obtained by Politico under New York’s Freedom of Information Law, show that the mayoral costs had nothing to do with the functions of the little-known city offices that defrayed his tabs, including agencies responsible for regulating loft apartments, aiding the disabled and providing lawyers for indigent defendants.

At the time, the mayor’s office refused to explain the accounting to city auditors, citing “security.”

It hits straight to the heart of the issues he was running on.

The story is already spreading like wildfire, and seems to be well confirmed.

I’ve always known the Giuliani was too corrupt to withstand the scrutiny of a Presidential bid.

I always thought he was too corrupt not to make it. I mean, it’s not like he got a blowjob from an intern or something.

I want to have an affair. Now, I’m not sure with who yet, but I will need lingerie, waxings… these are some real costs, Michael.

Olbermann had a guy on from the Village Voice who wrote a story up on Guiliani’s ties to Qatar:

Three weeks after 9/11, when the roar of fighter jets still haunted the city’s skyline, the emir of gas-rich Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifah al-Thani, toured Ground Zero. Although a member of the emir’s own royal family had harbored the man who would later be identified as the mastermind of the attack—a man named Khalid Sheikh Muhammad, often referred to in intelligence circles by his initials, KSM—al-Thani rushed to New York in its aftermath, offering to make a $3 million donation, principally to the families of its victims. Rudy Giuliani, apparently unaware of what the FBI and CIA had long known about Qatari links to Al Qaeda, appeared on CNN with al-Thani that night and vouched for the emir when Larry King asked the mayor: “You are a friend of his, are you not?”

“We had a very good meeting yesterday. Very good,” said Giuliani, adding that he was “very, very grateful” for al-Thani’s generosity. It was no cinch, of course, that Giuliani would take the money: A week later, he famously rejected a $10 million donation from a Saudi prince who advised America that it should “adopt a more balanced stand toward the Palestinian cause.” (Giuliani continues to congratulate himself for that snub on the campaign trail.)

In retrospect, Giuliani’s embrace of the emir appears peculiar. But it was only a sign of bigger things to come: the launching of a cozy business relationship with terrorist-tolerant Qatar that is inconsistent with the core message of Giuliani’s current presidential campaign, namely that his experience and toughness uniquely equip him to protect America from what he tauntingly calls “Islamic terrorists”—an enemy that he always portrays himself as ready to confront, and the Democrats as ready to accommodate.

The contradictory and stunning reality is that Giuliani Partners, the consulting company that has made Giuliani rich, feasts at the Qatar trough, doing business with the ministry run by the very member of the royal family identified in news and government reports as having concealed KSM—the terrorist mastermind who wired funds from Qatar to his nephew Ramzi Yousef prior to the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center, and who also sold the idea of a plane attack on the towers to Osama bin Laden—on his Qatar farm in the mid-1990s.

The best example of how Giuliani’s Qatar ties could prove disastrous for his presidential candidacy occurred a year ago, at the opening of the Asian Games on December 1, 2006, eleven days after Giuliani registered his presidential exploratory committee. Ben Smith, then of the Daily News and now with Politico.com, obtained a detailed internal memo from the Giuliani campaign in January, and it contained a travel schedule. Smith wrote that “Giuliani spent the first weekend in December in Doha, Qatar, at the Qatari-government sponsored Asian Games, on which he had reportedly worked as a consultant.” Giuliani’s calendar indicates that he arrived in Qatar on December 2 and left on December 3, heading to Las Vegas to address the state’s GOP. The Qatari government spent $2.8 billion to host the games, building a massive sports complex with security very much in mind. “We have 8,000 well-trained security members and the latest technology that were used in the Olympics,” said a security spokesman.

On December 1, the day before Giuliani arrived, the emir’s special guests at the lavish opening, attended by 55,000, were Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Palestinian prime minister Ismail Haniyeh and Syrian president Bashar Assad, all of whom are Qatar allies and were pictured sitting together on television. Giuliani’s presence that weekend wasn’t noted in news coverage at the time, even though his firm had apparently provided security advice for an event that included Ahmadinejad, whose country Giuliani has since promised to “set back five years” should it pursue its nuclear program.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0748,barrett,78478,6.html

But lest one discount the sources as too liberal there are other, earlier and less detailed, stories along the same lines. Including this from the Wall Street Journal:

In a highly unusual situation for a presidential hopeful, Republican front-runner Rudy Giuliani continues to head up his consulting firm, Giuliani Partners, while he runs on a 9/11-themed national-security platform. But he won’t release the client list, sparking the question: Who has been paying Giuliani Partners?

The Persian Gulf emirate of Qatar, for one. Qatar is a U.S. ally and relatively moderate Arab regime.

Inconveniently for Giuliani, Qatar is also the country that in 1996 apparently tipped off al Qaeda’s Khalid Sheikh Mohammed to his impending FBI arrest, allowing him to slip away and ultimately mastermind the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2007/11/07/giuliani-firms-qatar-contract/

Not that I disagree with the point being made about Giuliani, but the light in which they cast Qatar (on its own) seems a little hyperbolic. I mean, if you’re going to get bought off by any Arabs, that’s probably the one to go with since their ship is sunk with Al Qaeda at least as much as ours is. If they cooperate I am almost certain (for the top brass at least) it’s as much out of fear as any sympathies.

Look, what you’re all missing, in your myopic little elitist worldview is one salient fact that presupposes your passive-agressive meanderings towards some scintilla of relevancy; to wit:

9/11 MOTHERFUCKERS! WOOOOOO!!! USA USA USA!!

America’s mayor can skin a buck and string a trotline, cocksuckers. Let’s see the Russkies try that!

H.

That would probably be the best ad ever.

Didn’t Bocephus sing “Send me to Hell, or New York City, be about the same to me.” ?

Is Giuliani actually popular with the good ole boy set? Because that seems odd to me.

This Hamptons stuff isn’t going to stick, and I’m actually glad about it. Wouldn’t it be nice just once if the voters sent a message that they’re not going to scared into voting for a guy like Rudy based on his rhetoric and his platform, rather than have to be coaxed into voting for the guy with the least amount of scandals?

So in other words, voting for a guy who illegally expenses large amounts of personal stuff is ok? Just how will this guy actually run a government?

I don’t see that alleged; what I see is an unusual classification of a legitimate business expence that would be awkward to publicize. He’s allowed to go to the Hamptons, and the city legitimitely needs to protect him there. Are you suggesting he should be personally responsible for the expenses his guard detail incurs when he is not on the clock?

As a practical matter, this sort of thing is IMO small potatoes, on the level of Clinton’s BJs (which I didn’t feel rose to the level of an impeachable offense). So I don’t really feel that Giuliani popping over to the Hamptons for some extra-marital joy with his mistress, is all that big a deal, although it’s poor form IMO.

But in an election cycle when you have conservative columnists in a tizzy over John Edward’s haircut or Hilary’s cleavage, I feel that that Republicans have cast the first stone.

Yeah, I wish we had a better system of election coverage, and better analysis in the media. But this is the system we have, as a result of ADD voters, media conglomeration and deregulation, and the cheap negativity of Rush Limbaugh and his many wanna-bes. You reap what you sow.

I might see a red flag or two when i see the Assigned Counsel Administrative Office Non-Local travel expenses go from $7235.00 in FY 2000 to $400,000 in FY2001…especially when it’s an office concerned with providing legal aid to poor defendants. But that could just be me.

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM43_071128_comptrollerletter.html

Gas prices did go up a lot towards the end, there.

Yep, he actually is. I base this on my Good ol’ boy father and his friends, who are about as middle-America as it gets. My personal theory is that everyone loves a conservative urbanite or a liberal cracker. That’s one of the reasons I don’t care for Obama, he’s a liberal urbanite, which removes him too far from what I consider the tolerant middle ground. Now, whether Giuliani can survive his last name or the current scandal, I can’t say.

H.

Just for a sense of clarity, there is nothing personal or illegal about these expenses. They are for security costs that were incurred by the mayor that would have been incurred regardless, as he required 24x7 security no matter what he was doing. That the city government then paid for these out of odd department accounts (which were later recompensated properly by the police department) in what appears to at worst be an effort by someone hide where they were being incurred, is the only question.

It’s a legitimate one, though, if he was using the system to hide traces of his affair. It’s the ethics, not the legality of it, that trouble me. Post-Clinton, I don’t see this being a big issue, even for Republican voters. If the story of Guiliani having an affair(s?) was news, then it would get more play.

But this is the system we have, as a result of ADD voters, media conglomeration and deregulation, and the cheap negativity of Rush Limbaugh and his many wanna-bes. You reap what you sow.

LAWLZ, that may be irony. I have a call in to Alanis to find out.

Could be. I’ll admit I’m no expert on Qatar. For me this story is important because Guiliani is the big neocon candidate. Why is he the neocon candidate? Because the neocons are his lifeline to the social conservatives. Why do social conservatives care so much about neocon foreign policy goals? I’ll tell you this much, it doesn’t have to do with nuanced and real politik understandings of the middle east…

With that record he’ll probably run it pretty much like Bush and Cheney.

Yeah, I understand. I just thought it was worth mentioning.