Kitchen Gadgetry

Hmm, as a jerky guy, does that have a comparison of time for vacuum vs. normal marination? 15 minutes = 3 hours in a bag, or whatever?

I have seen 10:1 and also that 20 minutes in the vacuum tumbler=24 hours of regular marination. I ran mine for 30 minutes, because I read that is how long the place I was trying to copy did.

My wife saw this in an ad and really wants one:

Watermelon Corer (angurello):

Here it is in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j649Wkxv5w

I was expecting to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ded9eDB2Eh8

The thing you linked might actually be useful.

I enjoyed the ā€œotherā€ people in the video hacking away at watermellons with knives like they were wrangling live rattlesnakes. PUT THE KNIFE DOWN!

I didnā€™t know that watermelons had cores.

Only Peter Molyneuxā€™s do.

I was expecting to see this.

Iā€™ve seen her before. All I can ask is, doesnā€™t that hurt?

Griddle - electric or stovetop? My parents are offering us one for Christmas. Primarily pancakes and sausages, occaisional burgers.

Oh god, I dropped my Anova WiFi Sous Vide to the floor (well, it actually rolled strangely off the counter, after having been sitting there for about 15 seconds - I must have put it too close to the edge).

I hate when things like that happen with electronics with measuring tools and such - Iā€™m always afraid that it looks like it still works but has been thrown off a bit somehow.

Yes, I am a bit nutty here, I admit. :)

Get a Rollie!
(Do not get a Rollie)

This is a better review of it, with shorter, more hilarious video.

Iā€™d suggest electronicā€“one of the biggest benefits to 'em is super-fine temperature control (you know, if you get one that does that), otherwise you basically just have an extra-large skillet on-hand. Mind, those double-burner stovetop griddles arenā€™t bad in the size department, but then if you ever get a different kind of stove or whatever, well, who knows.

The other thing is washability. I have an old electric pancake griddle. Itā€™s about 2 feet across and about a foot in the other direction. . . and the metal plate is attached rather permanently to the plastic housing. While the grease tray and cord/temperature knob can be removed, the whole thing is incredibly large and unwieldy (the big plastic feet donā€™t help), making it an absolute bitch to wash. As such, it almost never sees use.

On the flipside, a couple of Christmases back, I got a Griddler 5-in-1 Panini Machine/Griddle with removable plates, and love it. While the whole thingā€™s not as large (and being split in two means that even when itā€™s folded all the way back to give you two griddling surfaces, thereā€™s still an awkward gap in the middle), being able to take the plates out for a good soak-and-scrub makes it infinitely more usable. That the plates feature both ridged and flat surfaces, and that I also could buy a set of waffle-making plates for it (waffles every weekend? FUCK YES) was an added bonus.

Anyway, to summarize: electricā€™s nicer with the fine temp control, big is great. . . but easily usable/washable is better.

The Grauniad reviewed the Egg Master a while back.

Set it to 100 C and check if water is bubbling. :p

Hmm, the Cuisinart 5 in one Griddler is about $130 CAD and actually looks pretty decent. Iā€™ll run it by the wife and maybe go with that. Thanks

Itā€™s a very serviceable product, and between toasting paninis, wraps, and Zakis on the reg, it really does get almost weekly use for waffles. Iā€™m sure there are things that are better out thereā€“thereā€™s a ton of cooking crap in this worldā€“Iā€™m nothing but satisfied with it.

I have one of those, and I agree with Armando on the detachable plates. We had a grill before with fixed plates, and it never got as much use because it was a pain to wash. I use it to make pancakes all the time, and did notice that one half (top) is not quite as hot as the other as the pancakes donā€™t cook at the same rate.

I think mine is the Deluxe so probably a bit fancier but I can vouch for Griddlers being really well made.

Something that Iā€™d love to own but canā€™t convince myself to spend the cash on:

The Smoking Gun. Home food smoker.

Thatā€™s the first in a series of videos if you are at all interested.

Before I moved I would occasionally use tea and aluminum foil in a large saute pan to smoke various items. My new home has cooking alarms that alert the neighborhood when you open your oven, so this is no longer an option.