Kitchen Gadgetry

This totally looks like something that a buddy I knew in college would have made for weed.

Hah. I did recently cook some steaks with it, and used a separate pen thermometer to check the water temperature. They were about .3-.5 dgrees (Fahrenheit) apart. Annoying, but I guess I probably have to expect that even in an undamaged state. :)

Does anyone have the anova? Do you like it? I got the one with wifi for christmas.
Also I down right tempted to get that smoking gun I would use that all the time.

Lots of us have the Anova. Itā€™s great. Not much to say about it other than it brings dead simple sous vide to the home for a very cheap price.

Yes, the Anova is great. It can do really cool things.

Iā€™m actually planning on using it to cook a Qua-Duc-Ant for christmas this year.

Youā€™ve just given me my christmas dinner

It looks good, right?
Iā€™m thinking Iā€™m gonna probably cook it at 155 in the sous vide cooker? Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

Mmmm, birds stuffed with other birdsā€¦ My aunt used to do an amazing Christmas duck/pheasant/goose trio, back when there was a house full of cousins every year.

Qua-Duc-Ant says it wants to be cooked to 165F (which seems a little high, but first time, maybe), and youā€™ll also want to brown it after it comes out of the water oven. I might lean toward 160F for 1:30, and then 5 minutes or so roasting in a very hot conventional oven. But I honestly have no idea how much that quick blast at the end will further heat the close-to-temp interior.

MORE SCIENCE! Also, post pics.

Yes, it is awesome. I have the BT model (technically v2 I think). I donā€™t use the BT functionality though.

165 seems way, way too high for sous vide anything to me.

Most poultry roulade recipes Iā€™ve seen seem to suggest 149. Serious eats made this recipe for a turkey porcetta where he cooks it at 140, and it looks good. I kind of figure the quaducant will be similar?

Iā€™m probably gonna go 155 for like 4 hours, and then sear it on a cast iron pan as hot as I can possibly get it. Alternatively, I may try using a butane torch to crisp it up.

165 is recommended by the FDA because itā€™s the point at which 1 second will kill basically everything - including your meat. With Sous Vide you can go much lower because you are holding everything at a sustained temperature. As long as you hold it long enough you can keep pushing the risks lower and achieve ā€œsafeā€ results. I think it was Modernist Cuisine that had some good tables showing time and temp and how your risk drops off the longer you cook.

I have done the Serious Eats turkey porcetta twice now and my only hesitation transferring the same techniques to the Quaducant is the mix of meat. The porcetta is exclusively white meat whereas the quaducant is a mix of three different types of birds and parts. With that said as long as the whole log of meat is heated all the way through to 140 and cooked for 5-6 hours I would eat it without hesitation. But if I was serving it to others I would make sure to do my research first =)

Yeah, the Quaducant has more dark meat in it, which generally can sustain a higher temperature than white meat.

This is why Iā€™m thinking 155, probably for 5 hours? That way itā€™ll definitely have plenty of time to penetrate the whole thing, and hold it at temperature for a few hours minimum.

Iā€™ll take pictures of the thing though, so even if my family dies from food poisoning, you guys can tell my tale.

I think I may actually do the serious eats thing and deep fry it at the end, tooā€¦ which may be more trouble, but the results seem like it will be the greatest thing ever.

The deep fry was actually pretty easy, if a little intimidating with the way the la crueset lid danced. Just make sure you thoroughly dry the log oā€™ meat beforehand.

Pictures of my 1st and 2nd attempt for the porcetta.

I read the serious eats recipe as recommending 5 minutes per side while deep frying but that was way too long in my opinion. That dried out the outer edges on my first attempt. My second attempt I did 2 minutes max each side, basically until it was crisp, then I pulled it out and it was much better. Soon as you have the color you want I would flip it and then pull it, itā€™s already cooked if you are using sous vide.

Also donā€™t expect much in the way of crispy, at least with the porcetta. The meat is so juicy it just canā€™t stay crisp for longer than a minute or two, itā€™s mostly just about browning.

I picked up an Anova a couple of weeks ago when an Enabler posted it was on sale. All Iā€™ve done is make 13 minute soft eggs and packed it away.

The manual says not to put it on the oven, which makes it difficult to use. I am loath to leave the anova sitting for many hours on a countertop. I donā€™t have a lot of space, and thereā€™s clumsy people and pets around that may decide to move the thing around. I have only 2 small countertops that are occupied by cutting board, knives, oil, etc.

I did a quick google and canā€™t find a good reason I canā€™t leave it on my electric burner. Does it think such low temperatures will damage an oven?

Are you sure it doesnā€™t say not to put it in the oven? I think thatā€™s about getting the device itself too hot.

Sounds like a CYA clause. I canā€™t see why not, as long as you donā€™t accidentally turn on the burner or something.

Yeah, I think they just mean donā€™t put it in the oven and turn the oven on, because duh, itā€™s a plastic piece of electronics and it will melt.

I generally stick the thing in a pot and put the pot on the stove, with the stove off.

The thing doesnā€™t get that hot. Itā€™s below the boiling point of water, and you can generally put your hand into the water briefly without burning yourself at all, so itā€™s not like the pot is going to damage anything itā€™s touching. I mean, honestly, it doesnā€™t even need to go in your kitchen. Put it on a table somewhere if you want. Put it in your garage.

I always put mine on the stove surface. We have Corian countertops and although they wonā€™t melt at Anova temperatures, they may soften enough to mar the surfaces.

Whatā€™s the current thing for making smoothies and blender drinks?

I put my Anova on a wooden chopping board on the bench-top and usually use a large old ceramic casserole pot. It keep the stovetop free for others uses, but I a hardly skint of bench space.