Kitchen Gadgetry

Check the last Secret Santa thread. @ArmandoPenblade gifted me a pizza steel. Highly recommended. Thanks again, Armando!

I use a baking steelā€¦ works extremely well. I used to have a stone a long time ago, but it cracked.

One of these days, Iā€™m gonna trundle my way down to Hurricania and beg your kindness for a steeled pizza, Rich :-)

Does it really work so much better than a stone? Because I actually have a functioning stone, and I while I could see the steel being great, Iā€™m not one to trade things of equal functionality.

Ya, Iā€™ve found the steel makes better pizza. Whether itā€™s worth the investment, thatā€™s up to you, but itā€™s a big ass slab of steel and will literally last forever, since thereā€™s nothing that could possibly harm it.

Jessica Jones begs to differ.

Would owning a rice cooker be redundant, if you already have an Instant Pot?

My Zojirushi rice cooker died today, and I discovered that I can actually make a decent pot of rice in the Instant Pot. More to clean up because of the non-nonstick pan, but otherwise it works well. I only used my rice cooker for rice.

The consensus earlier (I think in the ā€œwhat did you cook recentlyā€ thread) seemed to be that rice cookers make better, more consistent, more controllable rice and that that was worth a dedicated device. I remain skeptical, but Iā€™ve never had a dedicated rice cooker. If you have, and still think the Instant Pot does acceptably, youā€™re probably fine sticking with that.

FWIW, I havenā€™t replaced my rice cooker and just use my multi-cooker.

Itā€™s slightly annoying when I want to make two things with it for dinner. But thatā€™s kinda rare and I just suck it up and make rice on the stovetop.

It depends on how often you make rice.

If you make it several times a week, I think it makes sense to have a dedicated appliance. I also have never had rice out of an instant pot that was as good as even a cheap dedicated rice cooker, but that could be a question of dialing in the technique. But, if you like the product from the instant pot, it might make sense for you to just use the one.

I cook rice in a pot on my stove.

Rice cookers are genuinely useful. I love being able to throw a cup of rice and some water in a machine, press a button, and know that Iā€™ll have perfect rice at X time without having to even slightly monitor anything, turn down a temperature gauge, etc.

Is it necessary? No. But it is pretty nice to be able to just say, ā€œAt six p.m., there will be perfect rice - I pressed the button.ā€

Yep, that is the use mine is getting, and it is an enormous relief for my style of cooking (which is to prepare 4-5 dishes all at once once or twice a week).

Thanks for the rice cooking feedback. Yeah, since my rice cooking needs are fairly predictable and simple these days, Iā€™ll probably just stick with the Instant Pot for now. Only issue is fine-tuning the proportions (1:1 is not quite right, despite what Iā€™ve read ā€“ a bit more water seems better) and the non-nonstick pan (adding a little olive oil is said to help).

Regarding the old rice cooker, itā€™s a 4-year-old Zojirushi NS-TSC10 5-1/2-Cup and not under warranty as far as I know. Issue is that the buttons are unresponsive, while the digital display still shows the current time. This suggests that the clock battery is still functioning and has not lost power ā€“ Iā€™ve read that a dead clock battery can sometimes cause the device to stop working, or something. (The manualā€™s troubleshooting section does not list this specific issue.)

Only thing I can think of that I might do, short of shipping it to Zojirushi and paying for a repair, or just throwing the thing away, is to remove the four screws from the bottom and replace the clock battery, which may require some light soldiering. Not sure if Iā€™ll feel like doing that, but I might. Until I muster up the energy to give that a shot, Iā€™ll just toss it in the closet and use the Instant Pot instead.

Have you called Zojirushi? Even when things are not technically under warranty, reputable companies (and Zojirushi is such a a company) will sometimes help you out if you ask.

Hmm, good suggestion. I asked, and they could only refer me to an authorized repair center and the nearest is in a different state. Total cost would likely be equivalent to or exceed the cost of just buying a new rice cooker.

Awwww, Iā€™m sorry to hear that. :(

Yeah, the beauty of the rice cooker is it frees up range space, and allows you to juggle one less thing while cooking, and it comes out perfect each time. I hate stove top rice cooking, I always worry about fucking it up, even if it is extremely idiot proof. I also hate timing multiple things while cooking, and the spacious rice cooker eliminates timing as the rice is good for a while after cooking in the cooker.

Rice cookers are great, I just canā€™t dedicate the space on my counter to one, and I hate gadgets that I need to take out and put away.