Kitchen Gadgetry

No you.

Edit:

The ridges aren’t hard to clean and the pans are great. I can’t speak to aluminum pans but the implication that everything that works well in a commercial kitchen is good for a residential one is false imhe.

Thank you all for your answers.

Yeah, I love my half sheet pans.

+1’ing the Nordicware variety; huge, durable, nonwarping, reliable, even-heating. They at least used to be made with a big logo stamped into one side of the baking surface that sucked to clean, and in general, as not-nonstick aluminum, there’s gonna be some oil burning on in any long cooking time scenario that isn’t fun to get off. It won’t hurt anything but visual appearance, but if you want perfectly shiny beautiful pans every day, you’ll need to commit to some scrubbing. I just let mine get blotchy, heh.

I have a couple of Cuisinart jelly roll pans. They are made from steel with a non-stick coating. They do not warp at all and are my favourite pans for the oven.

https://www.cuisinart.ca/AMB-15BSC.html?lang=en

It’s actually quite normal. Thicker sheet pans can hold shape a bit better, and ovens that circulate air can help decrease the uneven heating effect. Even more importantly, a pan that transfers heat very well and is softer can lessen the effect considerably, and that describes Nordic Ware pans quite well, thus, “they don’t warp.” Technically they do, just not to a measurable effect.

My stainless sheets also warp. I bought some nordic aluminum from amazon and they’re ok. I then bought like 5 or 6 from a restaurant supply store for service. They were around 7 dollars a piece there.

Stainless were a lot easier to clean, but had to set temp differently, so I just use them now in the fridge as trays to hold raw chicken packages so junk doesn’t get everywhere.

Steel is much less heat conducive than aluminium, that’s probably why they warp.

Every time I read through this thread I think where do you store all the gadgetry?

If you downsized and could only keep three gadgets what would they be?

I suppose there really needs to be two lists:

1. Three Counter Gadgets
  2. Three Gadgets you can fit in a drawer

It depends on what counts as a gadget? Does a toaster? Because I definitely need that. If a toaster doesn’t count towards my total of three:

Rice cooker
Slow cooker
Instant Pot

If a toaster does count, I think I’d give up the Instant Pot over the slow cooker, but it’d be a hard decision.

I think I would count a Toaster Oven so I am not sure about a toaster!

My three would be
Ninja Air Fryer Toaster Oven
Instant Pot
Electric Tea Pot (my wife would pick either the Keurig coffee maker)

Our rice cooker is so small it fits in the cabinet easily.

Cuisinart Convection Toaster Oven
Baratza Encore Coffee Grinder
Instant Pot

I think the Instant Pot can do rice, so I’d sacrifice my Zojirushi rice cooker. I’d also have a hard time giving up my Cuisinart multi-temperature kettle, but ultimately you can boil water on the stove…

It can, but don’t expect it to cook rice like a rice cooker does. It’s just that once you find a recipe that produces the results you want it will be more consistent and require less attention than doing it on the stovetop.

Ok, everyone is listing instant pot on their list. I feel like I am missing out now, why is an instant pot something I need?

The main reason to own one is that it’s a decent electric pressure cooker that’s affordable and has a ton of device-specific recipe support. But because it has other functions, it can sub for some other kitchen stuff in a pinch and it’s portable. So in a pinch you could manage a pretty decent variety of meals just out of an Instant Pot without even needing a proper kitchen. (It isn’t really optimal at those other functions, though, so if you have the space etc to use more dedicated devices I’d do that instead.)

Gotta say, I’m not that much of a fan. A simple pressure cooker does its job perfectly, and I’ve never really needed or wanted a slow cooker, that just seems like a way to nuke ingredients down to their constituent parts, and a pressure cooker also does that 10x as fast. If toasters are out of the picture, I would go with a Cuisinart, a grinder, and a mixer.

I suppose it depends upon whether you’re an 8 hours or 8 minutes kind of person.

I have an older kitchen with not a lot of counter space, plus a strong personal preference for empty counters over crowded ones, so all I have on mine is a toaster oven. The Cuisinart and the stand mixer and the sous vide rig etc. live in cupboards and closets. Of those, I’d keep the toaster oven, the sous vide rig, and an electric kettle. I’d ditch the Cuisinart (albeit reluctantly), since I find chopping and slicing kinda therapeutic.

Drawer gadgets is a thinker. If the small hand mixer, the stick blender, and the coffee grinder count—and they actually fit in my largest drawer—then those. But then there’s the box grater. OK, so no more stick blender. Until I really needed one, and then I’d cheat.

I gather Toaster Ovens are very popular! is this on top of the normal oven? Doesn’t it basically have the same functionality? (yes, the oven is huge, but if you have one anyway why double up?)

If I was told I needed to downsize to three appliances and three gadgets because my new kitchen was too small, I’d stoically inform the missus that we’re sadly going to have to get rid of the bed to make room for “a few of my things.”