Kitchen Gadgetry

I actually have a pair of collapsible Japanese hashi. They unscrew like little pool cues.

I was reading reviews of carbon steel pans on Amazon. Itā€™s amazing the amount of people who buy these things, have no idea how to use them, donā€™t read directions, and then post a review. ā€œIt rusted after my first use!ā€ ā€œEverything sticks to it!ā€ ā€œIt warped using it on an electric range!ā€ The top review for one pan is complaining about the handle, she never used it and sent it back.

Got to wonder if selling on Amazon is worth putting up with crap like that.

These same people probably wouldnā€™t know how to treat cast iron as well.

Though I always have a few dozen of the intermediate ones in a little pottery thing on my counter and put them through the dishwasher, they last forever. Once youā€™re good with them they are so convenient vs. tongs or silverware while cooking. The 1.99 pack of 25 from any Chinese market are quite robust.

Odd question, but Iā€™m starting from 0 knowledge, so maybe better to hire someone local to help. But Iā€™m looking to motorize my noodle machine and have no idea where/what to start googling. Itā€™s this big thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4JFM5K

I figured some sort of belt instead of directly attaching to the axle and a pedal for ā€˜goā€™. Noodle production is the major headache when doing popups, so looking to speed it up a little bit.

Iā€™m also getting a big meat mixer (I use 3 stand mixers for a dough batch), but seems I could use a cordless drill to drive that. The dough is sand-like and mixed for 10 minutes total in 2 sections.

A belt and/or gearing for speed adjustment makes sense. For home use, we use the attachment for a KithenAid mixer, so it relies on the mixer speed. Are you looking to use the pedal for speed tuning, or just an on/off switch? If the latter, Iā€™d think a plain toggle would be fine if thatā€™s easier.

For a pre-made solution, something like this seems like what youā€™re looking for. Iā€™m not sure how to find out if it would or wouldnā€™t attach cleanly to your machine, though. I donā€™t know if those connections are at all standardized or not.

Keeping tension on a drive belt will be tricky, unless the motor and the noodle machine are rigidly attached together and you may need a tensioning/idler wheel also. Are you thinking an AC motor with some sort of speed control pedal, or just on/off? What RPM do you need for the rolling?

Doh!

Timexā€™s autocorrect is spreading itā€™s influence to the rest of the forum! Beware, everyone!

Sorry. Iā€™ll stop now.

Can you remove the wheel, and if so, what does the screw/bolt look like? My DIY self would think about locking a row of small nuts on the screw and attaching a cordless drill to it as necessary.

One thing that this thread has accomplished, making fresh pasta for dinner tomorrow. Why have the KitchenAid and the pasta attachment if I donā€™t use them?

This is the way.

We need to do the same thing. Add to that I need to get some ingredients for fresh Bolognese sauce. Rich you just inspired me.

Fresh pasta is so easy too, and itā€™s not even like I need to buy special ingredients for it. I really donā€™t know why I donā€™t make it more often. I should follow suit.

Itā€™s like pizza. For a couple of months earlier this year I was ordering pizza every weekend. Often it just wasnā€™t that great and itā€™s expensive. So I started making my own. Again, incredibly easy, it just takes some planning.

Fresh ravioli are freaking amazing. Caramelized onion, mushroom and mascarpone with just a little browned butter sage sauce. Not hard to make and freezes well if you make a lot. That and hand cut tagliatelle were always my favorites, and neither is hard to do once youā€™ve confident in making decent dough.

Thanks for link to the atlas drive motor. Browser tells me I had apparently looked at, but forgot about it. Iā€™ll look into getting one. I would just need on/off because if things go sideways (other than safety, also sheeting issues) Iā€™d need to stop everything immediately.

Yeah, having a giant wheel spinning seems a little more dangerous too. I wouldnā€™t need anything fancy. RPMs maybe around 20? It needs a lot of pressure in some spots though (initial sheeting and end of thinning).

Good call. The wheel is just screwed. I think Iā€™ll stick with seeing what a drill does as a proof of concept before digging into things.

Looks like the dough is a bit dry. Too late to fix. Resting now. Either fresh pasta or takeout. Coinflip.