Knights of the Chalice (OGL RPG)

Not that I know of, it’s not used in crafting armour, weapons, rings, scrolls, or wonderous items. I just sell them, though quite a few are not worth the inventory space, like agate.

1.06 is out:
http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78

Changes:

1. Fixed a rules compliance issue: a character should be able to take an equivalent move action (that is to say an action other than moving which takes as much time as moving up to the character’s speed), such as Use the inventory, after taking a five foot step (free action) and making a single attack (standard action).
  2. Added an option for automatic end of turn, as requested. If this option is on, the game will check after each action performed whether there’s anything more you could do and if not, it will automatically end the character’s turn. Examples: after moving and then attacking; moving and then using the inventory; performing a five foot step then some attacks and finding yourself without anymore enemies around you.
  3. Fixed a problem with casting from a scroll outside combat: the scroll was destroyed even when the spellcaster cancelled his spell.
  4. Improved the design of the scribe scroll and craft wand screens.
  5. Escape will bring up the menu screen even when the computer is playing.
  6. Added a button linking to the main help index in the title screen.
  7. Cure spells cast outside combat on a player character will not require the caster to be adjacent to the recipient.
  8. Fixed the issue when swapping characters: this issue was responsible for the bugs with Luminara targeting Kline as well as the double swapping issue. It was a small bit missing in the swapping code.
  9. Added Luminara and Elinor to the list of random female names. Cool names. PS: I enjoyed reading the personalised descriptions of Elinor’s swords.
  10. Fixed broken link in the Ghoul Touch spell description.
  11. Fixed the spelling of peeble to pebble in Magic Stone spell description.
  12. Damage dice now printed as “1D8” rather than “1D08” in the character sheet and inventory screen.
  13. Changed the way campfires are printed so that the contrast is higher.
    14) Added Movement by holding the Mouse button pressed.
  14. Fixed a big bug in the chronometer. Thanks for spotting that, I missed it earlier as I thought the reloading was cutting down time. Now displays both hours and minutes.
    16) The game will now save the cursor state (attack, shoot or observe) of each character at the end of their turn and resume it on their turn. Also saved in save games.
  15. Fixed a bug with Dexterity 0 when obtained from sleep. Being put to sleep (or pinned) reduces the dexterity to 0 but it should not “paralyze” a creature. It’s only when a character acquires dexterity zero from ability damage that he becomes paralyzed because of low dex.

While the game is difficult at the start, the difficulty seems to sink heavily once you get past level 12 or so. I could explain a little more but I don’t want to spoil anything.

14 & 16 are joyous, joyous things.

In D&D terms, this is really powerful. Also, given the forgiving (in terms of requirements for things like flaming) crafting, it means you can be pretty well kitted as long as you are willing to farm a little extra xp. How easy it is to farm that exp remains to be seen. . . (I ran out of gold well before I felt like I was hurting my development by spending Xp to get +1 adamantium or mithril gear for my peeps).

The money flows really free once you pass the mountain caves, as human enemies start dropping magical gear… Also, once you hit 12-14, you can pretty much handle any encounter the game throws at you, but the game seems to over-CR relatively simple encounters. (3 lizardmen warriors, 2 lizzie clerics is /not/ a CR 17 encounter, no matter how well leveled they are). Norglade, aside from a couple encounters, seems far too easy.

Well, if money starts to flow more easily, I can definately see it getting much easier thanks to the item creation. Everyone is going to have great stat boosts and kickass equipment.

That said, it’s interesting that the lizzie encounter is called CR 17. I don’t suppose the clerics are high level? That’s definately odd.

I will say I’m enjoying the PoR vibe, though it isn’t as tough as that game was (granted, if you knew the game, it was much easier) I reckon. Getting out of a certain level found in the starting cave, as well as the Orc Stockade, are giving me great Zhentil Keep vibes.

Yeah, i’m enjoying it, too… I think the lizzies were relatively high level clerics and warriors, and without the gear my party had might have been more of a challenge, but 100hp is not much when you have doom swords and doom bows that can knock that down with one full attack and almost always hit.

I think he added a campire in the orc stockade in 1.06.

Also, orc stockade is the first place I’m seeing regular magic weapon drops. And it’s hardly regular. Through the areas I’ve seen, and level 9 or 10, this is another way the game has been more like thefirst Dark Sun than PoR. Course, crafting equalizes that.

You taking max HP on level-up, Panzeh?

Nope, but I do trick out everyone with +6 con amulets. However, I do take back what I said, I just went to the tower, and I stand mistaken. Damn that’s tough.

Finally finished it, took 33 hours according to the in game saves, but that doesn’t count reload time. Did pretty much every quest I think except maybe one.

I would buy any expansion packs or new campaigns with the same engine, I loved the tactical combat. Much more rewarding to me than the Neverwinter Nights/Baldur’s Gate real time pause system.

The writing is bland at best, laughable at worst, but as a vehicle for setting up new fights I didn’t really care. Some of the last battles where trying for my team, especially the melee characters. My two fighters had been the backbone up to that point, but they could barely dent some of the end foes.

For those of you having trouble with the orc stockade:

Make sure your wizards/clerics have crafting skills. All it costs is money and XP (and obviously you need the feat). You don’t lose any spells from doing it, infact you can do it when you have absolutely 0 spell points. My cleric didn’t have any crafting skills when I was doing the stockade and it took me ages to beat the final boss. AGgggggges. In the end I realiesd I had a few human slaying arrows that I’d bought. :]

He cleric has the make wand ability, and happily carries around 2 50*cure moderate wounds. I think you should do the same as well.

is it possible to get the graphics like they are in the screenshots? on my pc, they are VERY blocky…

Maybe your system doesn’t meet the minimum specs? How about upgrading your graphics card? Hehehe.

The screenshots were probably taken from the game running in windowed mode.

The demo is fantastic but there’s no way I’m paying for this until they do something about looting and change that horrific font.

Yeah, I can’t read it at all. I won’t pay for this either, for the exact same reason. Just give me the option to change in some obscure file, and I’ll buy immediately.

Version 1.07 is out here: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78

For those of you not purchasing because of the font (something I understand completely) what about this:

Would that be enough to change your mind? The first line is using the higher resolution font, the rest are the old style.

That high-res font still isn’t ideal, but it would be enough to change my mind.

This is some seriously fast turnaround time. Love those small indie teams.