Knights of the Chalice (OGL RPG)

He should just can the serif font on the dialouge screens. The character sheets etc aren’t that hard to read.

I haven’t seen how to toggle the new font. Did I just miss something in the settings screen?

If one needs money, fighing any mid to high level humanoid (maybe not lizzard) random encounters seems to bring in lots of +1 stuff. It really adds up, even though looting and selling is annoying.

There is no reason whatsoever to loot non magical items. Now, Masterwork items appear with a + next ot the name in the looting screen, which is nice. Early on, nabbing masterwork items for your guys and gals makes sense. But there’s not much money in “white” loot, so don’t bother since looting is such a PITA.

The new font isn’t in yet, it’s just a prototype the dev posted.

I agree, I never liked the fantasy fonts either but people keep using them so I guess somebody does.

3 pages signals time for me to check it out.

Yeah, I would probably buy it with that font. It’s a lot better. I’m still not thrilled with the choice of font itself, but at least that’s legible.

Let me know when they actually do that, and I’ll pick it up.

minor spoilers about the order in which to progress

I spent some quality time with the full version today. It’s definitely worth the $15. At first I thought it was still really too hard. The first battle in the starting keep was hard enough, but after that I was getting owned in the Caves. I finally figured out that going to Corinth, the town to the north, was far easier, and by the time I finished there, I had leveled up a few times, and now the caves were much easier.

The game seems to want to lead you to the next suggested area, but it almost is never the best idea. For instance, after doing Corinth, an NPC was trying to lead me to the orc stockade. But doubling back and completing the caves first was a much easier way to go. The orc stockade wasn’t that bad for me, but I was already around level 8 or 9 when I got there.

I’m about to start taking on the giants for the town of Turnbury. Sounds like fun.

I kept going back to the caves. Each dungeon level holds new suprises. Take the vampire, for instance. I had him backed in a corner with everyone whacking him (taking no damage themselves), and I’d run out of wizard spells. After about 10 turns of dedicated melee, and him showing not so much as a scratch, I bothered to read his feats list and realised that my cleric could hurt him. (I’d originally discounted this due to no Turn Undead). I just cast cure moderate on him and poof :)

“Cure moderate” sounds like it could be useful in P&R.

So, the slaver town past the mountain pass. . .

Spoilers. . …

I know you could get taken to the slaver lords if you initated a discussion with the “council” guy and asked to be tken to them. I didn’t end up doing that (I’d tested this after a save). I just sort of wiped out the entire town. I got the gold key from the wizard dude. But I see nowhere to use it, and no way to find the slaver lords. The wizard gives a wierd clue about where to find them. Am I off base in thinking they aren;t in the immediate vicinity?

Interesting take on the vampire. I tried the caves first after the keep attack, and was loading and re-loading almost every battle. That vampire battle was tough, at level 3. I could kill the vampire through a combination of greatsword overcoming damage resistance, plus magic missile and fire elemental - I didn’t know about the cleric cure spells working against undead! nice! But I always had a knight dominated. I had to grapple and pin him til the domination spell wore off - cool (only?) implementation of grapple rules in a crpg.

Check out the locked door in the brothel I think.

Where can you get this game for $15? I am only seeing it go for £14.95, which is too much for me.

More spoilers I guess.

Yeah, I went down under the city.

There’s a gorgon in the big room but I don’t recall being able to interact with it. The room has two exits, leading to stairs up tboth to the Brothel and a shanty in town.

Run around the edge of that big room with the gorgon till you find the secret wall.

Hahaha well, I fail at foreign currency. It was closer to $25, but at first I mistook the L-shaped thingy for $. Still a worthwhile purchase, but I do think it would be more accurately priced at $15.

New version 1.10 with the font fix is out for those of you on the fence. You can read the changes here or download the updated demo here.

I take it you only get 10 upgrades since you’re only allowed to download the full game 10 times? There are no patches?

The dev apparently has the counters reset periodically.

Thanks for the info. At his release rate he’ll probably have another one out by the time I get to it next month, so I think I’ll wait.

Have to say, was really impressed with this game. It’s a really sweet implementation of party based D&D combat with a nice challenge curve. I’m about halfway through the game (deep into the first giants area) and there’s been several fights I’ve had to attempt quite a few times before I could beat them, at various stages from level 1 til now. The graphics are very simplistic, but the interface is actually very streamlined which is great.