Knock at the Cabin - Bautista, Groff, Ron Weasley, and Shyamalan in the woods

If there’s a gun-toting raccoon in this movie, I’m headed to the theater right now.

No cute gun-toting racoons, but the awesome child actor more than makes up for it!

Just saw this on Peacock. Woof. Good acting and cinematography (aside from the horrible news scenes) but the story… these kinds of stories are all build up, but when you make one of those you better have a damn good payoff. They start with the dumbest moral dilemma that you come up with when you are 12 years old, but I’m willing to see where it goes. They took all that accumulated interest and gave you back a wet fart in a napkin.

To spoil it:

The movie goes exactly where it says it will. No surprises, no reveals, no nothing. They’re going to literally sit everyone down and explain what’s going to happen. It’s going to happen. Roll credits.

Yeah, that’s all Shyamalan. I don’t know if you’d like how the book leaves it based on how you describe the setup…but it just being explicitly literally true and oh they fixed it? That’s Shyamalan. Just the worst possible choice.

Oh man, I shoulda listened to Jazar.

I went into this with bottom-of-the-barrel expectations, and ended up actually really liking it? But probably 95%+ of that was Dave Bautista’s performance. Probably his best role yet.

If you liked the first like, 80% of the movie I highly recommend the book. If you also really liked the ending I maybe don’t.

But yeah, Bautista was great.

You know when Blade Runner 2049 came out and everyone was like “Wow, Bautista is actually great at playing this sort of deep, thoughtful character”? His character in Knock at the Cabin takes this so far it feels like a parody, and it really is a testament to his abilities as an actor that he mostly pulls it off.

He reminds me of Lino Ventura in Army of Shadows–one of my absolute favorite films. He was an ex-boxer, and it really showed in his physicality.

But Lino Ventura is nearly twenty centimeters shorter than Bautista, not covered in tattoos, and doesn’t spend much of the movie talking about coaching a children basketball team (or whatever it was).

We don’t know what Philippe Gerbier was up to before the war.

True.