Kooky game advertising

I got my free CGM today, and it fell open on an ad for Stronghold Crusader. Here’s the tagline:

Relive the heroic battles of the historic Crusades!

I seem to remember reading that the Crusades actually consisted of nothing but looting, rape, and mass murder. Still, it sounds pretty heroic to me!

I saw the subject line and thought this was going to be about the Mario Sunshine ad in the Japanese Playboy. Silly me. :P

Worse. The Prince of Qin ads with chopsticks and fortune cookies. Will those idiots in marketing never learn?

“Relive the heroic battles of the historic Crusades!”

Damn, I thought that was an Army recruiting poster for the war in Iraq.

No discussion on kooky game advertising should go without the mention of Battle Tanx and it’s cuddly little mascot.

Part I
Part II: The Bear Is Back!

I saw the subject line and thought this was going to be about the Mario Sunshine ad in the Japanese Playboy. Silly me.

If the thread author isn’t “Murph”, there’s a fighting chance that the contents won’t be so banal.

Wow, this is so fun!! I’ve never been the subject of a vendetta before!!

What in god’s name does squashing a bear have to do with a shitty tank game? W-ierd.

>>I got my free CGM today, and it fell open on an ad for Stronghold Crusader. Here’s the tagline:
Quote:
Relive the heroic battles of the historic Crusades!
I seem to remember reading that the Crusades actually consisted of nothing but looting, rape, and mass murder. Still, it sounds pretty heroic to me

Heh, I thought the exact same thing. I was reminded of the flak that Bush took several months back from the Arab community for referring to the U.S. involvment in Afganistan as a “crusade” in one of his unfortunate off-the-telepromter comments to the press. Many people felt that it implied religious superiority on the part of the U.S. I think it was just Bush not thinking about what he was saying.

Uh…how do you get a free CGM? I just dropped another $30 or so for a 2-yr subscription. And I have yet to see this month’s edition even though it’s posted on cgonline.

Order a game from chips and bits and you get a free sub.Also every now and then a website offers a free sub.

You didn’t recognize the bear? I suppose Snuggle fabric softener isn’t in the mainstream consciousness anymore. They were forced to pull both these ads by the makers of Snuggle.

–Dave

Oh, I knew it was the snuggle’s bear, I just have no idea why they used it.

I seem to remember reading that the Crusades actually consisted of nothing but looting, rape, and mass murder. Still, it sounds pretty heroic to me!

Not really - I must be unfamiliar with the book that details how the Muslim tribes (which, during the time of the Crusades, were on the verge of wiping out the Byzantine Empire) was in fact a collection of musing hermits sitting peacefully in their huts, humming and smoking shishahs, when the Crusaders blazed in to massacre them all.

After all, the Crusaders were a bunch of ill-equipped strangers in a foreign land completely swamped on all sides by the enemy. Considering the odds, a good portion of their victories were miracles fought against all odds. The only advantage they had was the petty rivalry and bickering of the native Muslim chieftains. That sort of thing lends itself both to heroism on the battlefield and inhumane bloodshed afterwards. So there’s both sides of the story there.

It should be noted that the Crusaders acted no differently in the way they treated the Muslims they conquered in the Middle-East than they would have acted in the equally vicious wars of Europe of the time (part of the reason the Pope wanted to send them a few thousand miles away to begin with). Rape, looting and massacre were almost universally part of warfare of the time. Contrary to popular belief, that sort of thing wasn’t smiled upon by the Holy Men and leaders of the time - if you take some time to read contemporary accounts of the Crusades, you’ll find more often than not that sort of savagery condemned.

Anyway, the books to read in my opinion are Steven Runciman’s three-volume “History of the Crusades” for a more well-rounded idea of both the heroic battles and the incompetency and savagery of the Crusaders.

C’mon Dr. Crypt, reading takes all the fun out of these wonderful off the cuff statements that are thrown out to promote personal agendas!

:lol:

Right, I’m trying to discredit Christianity through comments about video game ads.

Jesus prefers Unreal over Quake.