KotOR for PC

[quote=“DrDel”]

ummm… cuz it’s your game?[/quote]

Del, before you spout off a quip like that please read the thread and see what I am refering to. There are things that are not in our control. Like I said in another post, some things can be worked around, but if an isssue with a driver/hardware is significant enough we have to wait until it’s fixed.

Del, before you spout off a quip like that please read the thread and see what I am refering to. There are things that are not in our control. Like I said in another post, some things can be worked around, but if an isssue with a driver/hardware is significant enough we have to wait until it’s fixed.

My question would be- if its a hardware/driver issue with Intel how is it that you guys are sending through a patch to fix it? If its possible to patch it then couldn’t it have been integrated into the shipped product? I’ll buy that you didn’t find it before going gold but if your programmers are able to fix the problem then shouldn’t you be held accountable for the problem in the first place? Not meant as an attack and maybe I’m misunderstanding the issue here.

Lets please don’t get into the “everybody attacks Bioware/DaveC defends bioware” death spiral ok?

It’s obviously not ideal that Bioware didn’t catch this previously but it’s not Bioware’s fault that a hardware component doesn’t work correctly.

BTW DaveC, I picked up KOTOR today. I’ll be listening for the sounds and thinking of you when they play.

:D

I’m not at all well versed in this, but why do people still use OpenGL? I thought it was pretty much eclipsed by D3D long ago? Guess not.

A lot of the sound credit has to go to these guys:

http://www.thesounddepartment.com/

We did a lot of sounds in-house, but most were made by these guys. We were pretty busy getting everything together an in the game.

You’d have to ask the graphics guys why that choice was made. I’m not sure.

Are we ready yet to definitively state that the PC version is superior to the Xbox? I struggled a bit with the Xbox version but now I’ve got the PC version I’m keen to start afresh, newly armed with mouse and keyboard.

The graphics and performance are much better, for me anyway. I am running it at 1600x1200 no AA/Aniso. XP2700+/1gig/9800Pro.

The interface though, I dont know. I liked the Xbox one a lot, for a console. I thought it was very efficient for the most part. Last night the PC interface felt very clunky, but its probably because it looks very similar to the Xbox one that I was used to.

One thing I definitely dont like is how when you go into the inventory, journal, character sheet, etc. it doesnt scale with your display res. So at 1600x1200 my inventory is just a little square in the center 20% or so of my monitor. Typical of most console ports but still, ugh.

olaf

Haven’t played the PC version but I can’t see how it would be that much superior. I mean, it isn’t a shooter, there’s no “twitch” factor, and the controls on the Xbox were damn near perfect IMO. Look better, sure, but play better? I don’t plan to buy the PC version I don’t think because, well, if I want to play it again I’ll use the Xbox.

D3D hasn’t eclipsed OpenGL, the main difference is that OpenGL is multi-platform and D3D is for windows and xbox only. I know that nwn has a linux version and I think it has an OS X version as well, so OpenGL is the natural choice. You could support both of course, but just by reading this discussion you might see why this might not be a great idea. You will probably get at least twice the amount of hard to find bugs that appear with different hardware/driver combinations.

Got it installed. Looks nice at 12x9 with 6x AA and 16x AF, though the models and textures aren’t the greatest. But for a RPG, it looks good (considering I installed Gothic 2 a few days ago, KotOR looks generations ahead of that game).

NWN was originally designed to have a simultaneous PC/Mac/Linux?BeOS (yeah, BeOS… I read that somewhere) release and the only way to do that is to choose cross platform software. OpenGL was the obvious choice to do that. I know DX is probably easiest for Windows programming, but I would love to see developers using OpenGL more often to spread the love to other OS’s.

I would love to see support for games on other OS’s. Then I could stop using Windows, which is (by far) my least favorite OS.

Not going to happen, though. :roll:

D3D hasn’t eclipsed OpenGL, the main difference is that OpenGL is multi-platform and D3D is for windows and xbox only. I know that nwn has a linux version and I think it has an OS X version as well, so OpenGL is the natural choice. You could support both of course, but just by reading this discussion you might see why this might not be a great idea. You will probably get at least twice the amount of hard to find bugs that appear with different hardware/driver combinations.

Thanks for the info!

I would love to see support for games on other OS’s. Then I could stop using Windows, which is (by far) my least favorite OS.

Not going to happen, though. :roll:[/quote]

There’s little chance this will happen until OpenGL 2.0 is fully ratified. Even then, though, DirectX isn’t just graphics, but audio, networking, game controller API, etc., so it’s hard to move all that other stuff away. Of course, there’s WINE for Linux, but that gets broken every time a new game ships (or at least, it seems like it).

Here’s the beta patch:

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=280284&forum=80

Dan

BioWare programmers have always been OpenGL types. They haven’t used D3D for any game they’ve done, IIRC.

OpenGL is still popular because, in addition to cross-platform capability, it’s more intuitive in the opinions of many programmers - even those who started on DX - and it’s also more powerful. It’s easier to update for vendor-specific paths (which, John, are perfectly normal, as is IHV input during development. Why do you think ATI and NVIDIA have huge dev-rel teams?) You also don’t have to wait for the next DX revision to take full advantage of a card’s features.

The current DX9 mess (DX9 wasn’t really finalized and ATI coming to market early led to DX developing in their favor), anyway, the current DX9 mess is and always would be a complete non-issue with OpenGL, since vendor-specific optimizations are easy to implement.

Well, KotOR Xbox is D3D if you want to get technical.

Yeah, but you only have one video card to worry about on the Xbox, and I don’t think it has OpenGL drivers :)

I know a number of 3D programmers who would disagree. The main issue on the DX side is the issue of precision FP32 / FP16 (Nvidia) versus FP24 (ATI). But the OpenGL drivers have to implement vendor extensions that need to account for the same thing – and so the 3D guys still have to write multiple code paths.