KOTOR: How do I become a Jedi?

I am in the sewers killing Gamorean Guards… how and when do I become a Jedi?

I hope this isn’t like SWG where I have to jump through a zillion hoops!

More importantly, where and when do I get my lightsabre?

SPOILER

Shortly after you leave Taris, and it’s unavoidable.

Patience grasshopper, around level 6-8, depending on what you do on Taris.

Also, a small tip. When you get a level up, you can choose to save it until you switch class to jedi. Say that your lvl 3 scout gets enough xp to be able to level up to lvl4 and you get that arrow symbol over your face, if you don’t actually go to the character screen and level up your character you save all that unused experience which can later be used to increase your jedi levels.

Considering that there is a cap on your level total (20 levels) and that you’re going to spend the majority of the game as a jedi this might make the rest of the game easier as you get access to more jedi powers. Of course the flip side is that you are handicapping yourself until you finally do get to switch. Personally I want to do it because playing as jedi is the most fun and I want to get the most out of that class. In my first game I played it through as a level 8 scout / level 12 jedi sentinel, and while I never found the game harder for it, it was a bit annoying to see bastila get the cool sentinel bonus feats at lvl 12 while I had to wait until lvl 20 for them.

Check out the gameplay guide at Gamefaqs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/game/17087.html) for more details.

I was able to get through Taris as a level 2 Soldier. I am told that there is a point that you are required to level, however I never noticed it and realized after leveling to 2 that I should save my xp for the Jedi class. Just load up on grenades and let your lackeys handle most of the dmg. dealing.

I still am not finished but the Level 15 Guardian/Level 2 Soldier is pretty strong. Also I feel cheated after destroying Malak in the first encounter and being forced to stop fighting. :(

You’re forced to level on the Endar Spire as part of the “tutorial” process. Remember when that soldier who woke you up goes off and gets killed by a Dark Jedi? If you get to that door and you’re still at level 1, the game gives you the XP and forces you to level to 2. On my second run through I found that it’s possible, barely, to get enough XP to level without touching the door, so that’s what probably happened to you.

yeah, I was aware of not needing to level… I am lvl 4 soldier right now and am leaving it as such… won’t level again until I become Jedi… .hence my original question for starting this thread

thanks

• D

I leveled throughout the first area and I haven’t felt any major regrets. The force powers aren’t that much superior to the normal perks, IMO. Still, you won’t have long to wait to get them if you would rather save your skill/power/etc. points.

Personally, I was running out of feats AND powers for all of my characters near the end of the game. That said, deciding to spend my last three powers on level-3 lightning for my light Jedi turned out to be great fun. :)

That really must have sucked away the force points, though, no? :shock:

That really must have sucked away the force points, though, no? :shock:[/quote]
I started with a 14 or 15 wisdom, upped to 20 with stat upgrade, upped to about 30 with items. I was a Scout 4 Consular 16. So that’s, um, 16 * (10 + 10) = 320. Then another 40 just for being me. (I mean that literally; the main character gets the Force Sensitive feat, which provides 40 bonus force points.)

So when you’ve got 360 force points to play with, you really don’t care about the piddling 35 that Force Lightning takes (for a total light-side character).

Oh, and don’t forget being successful with area-affect Stasis about 3/4 of the time. It’s great fun to whack Dark Jedi with lightsabers when they’re paralyzed for the next three rounds. My entire trip through the last stage consisted of Stasis, Force Lightning, and lightsaber play.

Out of curiosity, are you “forced” to become a Jedi? What if you don’t want to be one?

• Alan

No way around it, that I can see. Plot device, and all.

Well, the game is called Knights of the Old Republic, after all.

The game handles this really well (it doesn’t feel forced or artificial), and it’s an important part of the story. You actually can play a character that doesn’t want to be a Jedi, if you choose. But you can’t change the fact that you have Jedi powers, and you’ll eventually have to come to terms with your powers one way or the other.

that’s why they made SWG, if you DONT want to be a Jedi then join SWG.

If you WANT to be a beta tester and NOT a Jedi, then SWG is really for you!

It’s not like the game is hard, so it doesn’t really matter what you do with your xp… jedi powers, soldier levels, or thief levels. Don’t get me wrong… the game is fun as all get-out. But there’s not much point to playing the min/max game in KOTOR… the game is a walk in the park in terms of difficulty no matter how you play it.

I beat the game with a character that started with 18 in chr, 17 in int, 8 in everything else and horrible power/feat selection. It is rather easy.

In order to be a jedi you have to kill. A lot. Find some guys with armor and kill them. Find some guys with tougher armor and kill them. Find a box of puppies and kill them. Throw a bag of kittens in a river. Strip mine Tatooine for copper and then let Canadian geese land in the sluice runoff, the cyanide will kill hundreds of them. Basically, whether you’re playing SWG or KOTOR, a whole world worth of NPCs has to die in order for you to say ‘these are not the droids you’re looking for’ and mean it.

Or you can just focus on the story in front of you: find BASTILA, THE JEDI and maybe she can tell you something about BECOMING A JEDI. Though IIRC if you want your first lightsaber to be any good, you’ll still have to abort unborn baby spiders by the truckload.

/jeep/