Kotor or TOEE?

[i]"KOTOR. And I havent even played it, but I have played TOEE.

KOTOR, easily. Hell, Lionheart over toee. "[/i]

Going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume you havn’t played Lionheart. That game is a front-runner for coaster of the year.

I’m not convinced NWN was a step forward from BG2. I like NWN, but at best I’d say it’s a step sideways, and I think in some respects it was a step back.[/quote]

Heh, I suspected that someone would say that-- but I think, as I said, there’s little doubt that releasing NWN was a step forward for BioWare – at the very least in terms of production values/tool kit/art/multiplayer features, etc. , even if you didn’t like the game as much as BG2.

At the time of BG2’s release, BioWare was still a bit unproven – they’d had a great success with BG, a decent “starter game” with Shattered Steel, and made a console game that was well regarded but no one seemed particularly excited with it. A solid record, but it wasn’t clear whether the company would remain a company like Volition (which had a pretty similar record at the time, although not a BG-level hit, and a lot of critically acclaimed game)…or evolve into a Blizzard-type company, that consistently releases top tier games. AFter NWN and KoToR, BioWare has definitely moved in the latter direction, and NWN was definitely a key part of that.

I agree. I’m not a fan of NWN, personally, but it did a lot of things very well and broke new ground for RPGs and games in general. Even if you hated it, you can’t deny the new ground it broke. I expect what Bioware has built/learned from NWN will affect its future games for the better. If anything, I hope it taught them that we likey good narrative.
It was also a financial success, wasn’t it?

KOTOR is a safer game for Bioware. It plays to their strengths. It’s BG2 refined. The storytelling, the options, even the perspective are dramatic steps forward. It’s just a fantastic RPG. People aren’t kidding when they say it’s a better told story than anything Lucas (or the hacks who make the comics and books) have come up with since the canon.

Glad to hear Gothic 2 is good. I’ll have to find some time to check it out.

When is KOTOR PC hitting the streets?

Tuesday, Nov. 18.

Christ, I’ll be able to buy the Two Towers: Extended Edition and Knights of the Old Republic on the same trip!

That’s exactly what I was planning to do as well. :)

Christ, I’ll be able to buy the Two Towers: Extended Edition and Knights of the Old Republic on the same trip!

Only if you wait until Wednesday. KOTOR ships on the 18th, so it won’t be in store until the 19th.

I dunno, the gone gold announcement from LucasArts says it’ll be in stores by the 18th, so I guess it’ll depend on your location.

Having played ToEE for about 20 hours this week I have to give it some props here. Patched this is one heck of a solid RPG experience. I am enjoying the turned based combat so much. Its a great change of pace from the Infinity Engine series and I find the combat is so much more tactical then in the Bioware games…not putting it above KoTOR but it is a worthy game in its own rights now.

Same here. Part of it is nostalgia, I must admit, but even for those who haven’t played the original module ToEE is one helluva RPG. It’s somewhat imbalanced, being light on story and heavy on its combat system, but that’s essentially what D&D is on paper and the game has always required a good DM to flesh out a storied campaign.

ToEE is the first game in years that’s keeping this old man (turned 39 yesterday) up past midnight during the work week.

I dunno, the gone gold announcement from LucasArts says it’ll be in stores by the 18th, so I guess it’ll depend on your location.

Press releases usually use the shipping date for some reason, which is bizarre because only locations extremely close to the shipping center get it those days. The official “ship date” from both EB Games and Gamestop is the 18th, so most won’t get it in store until the 19th.

Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, just don’t want someone going home dissapointed.

Same here. Part of it is nostalgia, I must admit, but even for those who haven’t played the original module ToEE is one helluva RPG. It’s somewhat imbalanced, being light on story and heavy on its combat system, but that’s essentially what D&D is on paper and the game has always required a good DM to flesh out a storied campaign.

ToEE is the first game in years that’s keeping this old man (turned 39 yesterday) up past midnight during the work week.[/quote]

Must be our ages then John as I am 38
:lol:

ToEE is the first game in years that’s keeping this old man (turned 39 yesterday) up past midnight during the work week.[/quote]

Must be our ages then John as I am 38
:lol:[/quote]

Hey I’m just shy of 40 and I am loving ToEE.

Heh, finally cleaned out the first level of the temple and I’m almost 8th level (except for my sorcerer, who’s given over 1k xp to the party for several gauntlets of +4 strength).

I haven’t played D&D in so long I can’t remember how to open magically held doors, and there are two close to the earth altar.

John I haven’t opened them so far, and I’m wandering down in the Elemental Nodes with a party of level-10 adventurers. I’m not positive they’re supposed to be opened (see spoiler below) and in any case you can get all the way down to the bottom of the dungeon without opening them.

On the other hand, I’m playing a good party, which basically means I kill anything that moves in the Temple. Evil parties can actually interact with the denizens and it’s possible one of them somehow opens up the doors for you.

***** SPOILER ALERT *****

I read somewhere that Zuggomy (the evil entity that is shown in the movie) is locked behind the magically held doors. It’s possible someone or something at the bottom of the dungeon gives you the power to open the doors, but I don’t think that happens until you hit the very bottom and are ready to take her on. I’m almost at the very bottom (there is supposed to be one small level below the Elemental Nodes) and as I said, the doors are still closed for me.

Edit: FWIW I just checked the Game Banshee Walkthrough and they don’t seem to know what to do with the doors either.

Thanks for the response.

I’m so glad I waited on the patch before digging into this game. I’m on the 3rd level of the temple now and ToEE is quickly becoming my favorite game of the year. Come to think of it, even with HL2 and Doom 3 both being delayed until next year, this has been a pretty good one for PC games, particularly for an RPGer. In fact, with ToEE now patched, Gothic 2 available in the States, and KotOR coming out next week ($40 at Best Buy), 2003 could be the best year ever for CRPGs.

Just cleared the Borken Tower here and all I can think about is what the makeup of my hardcore party will look like. I am loving this game so much…

Anyone else experiencing a weird periodic stutter during combat? It’s not bad enough to ruin the experience, but it is annoying. No cd or hd access that i can see, so I’m stumped on this one.

OK, I think I’m in trouble with the game. I’m at the end and I want to destroy the Orb, but I can’t find a fireball scroll and my sorcerer never took the scribe scroll feat. Sure, I could use the Orb against Zuggtmoy but my goody-goodies prefer to destroy the vile artifact instead. My question is whether or not any merchants/vendors carry a fireball scroll or if there’s a known cheat/hack that would let me ‘drop’ one into my party inventory?