Kotor or TOEE?

Ok so i my budget didctates only one of them. Which one?
My priorities are:

1. Story
  2. Combat / char dev / loot

Kotor, no question. It’s the best RPG ever made.

KotOR. For the love of God. KotOR.

~MJK

Well, much as I love ToEE, there is virtually no story involved. Combat is terrific, character stats development is great, graphics are good, but almost no story at all.

I never played TOEE (technical issues) but I finished KOTOR twice and am considering a third go round on the PC version. The game is 35-40 hours long just to give you an idea of how much I like it. I have never played another single player game through twice that took 40 hours a try.

– Xaroc

Well, that was decisive. KOTOR it is :D

I fail to understand how TOEE was even listed as an option.

It’s the only other new RPG right now…

ToEE is a fine game, especially with the patch. But it’s no KotOR. Ideally, play both. But play KotOR first.

Or if money is no object, play ToEE before you get a chance to see how good KOTOR is. ;)

KOTOR. And I havent even played it, but I have played TOEE.

KOTOR, easily. Hell, Lionheart over toee.

D&D lost it’s charm on me somehow, I can’t play it turn based (and I loved the Gold Box stuff)
There’s just zero options to do anything, I keep wanting the battles to be like a fantasy Jagged Alliance (or silent storm, god that game is perfect), but it’s not. Feels like a board game. (and yes I did play and like the p&p stuff, but a DM can make or break it and there is obviously no DM in TOEE)

scoffs Hordes of the Underdark, my friend. Hordes of the Underdark. :P
KotOR’s great, too, as is ToEE–they’re all fairly different games, though.

Gothic 2

Crazy-speak.

OK you got me there, I’m just confused and a little mad at myself on the whole TOEE thing. On paper it’s EXACTLY what I want.

I can’t put my figner on why it’s stinky either, except for a vague feeling that I’m wasting my time trying to have fun with it. I seriously cannot get into it, TB games make me think of JA2, then my eyes keep drifting over to the Silent Storm box (stupid dvd box, I have nowhere to put it away unless I put it with the movies and then I’ll never find it again)

I do like crpgs, I swear!

Can someone convince me to actually play it? I can’t force myself to play it at ALL. Total waste of cash, I literally cannot stand even being in that first town. Help. Shoulda bought KOTOR or Viewtiful Joe…

Crazy-speak.[/quote]

Let me know when you’ve tried PC KotOR Stefan. I wasn’t kidding when I said I thought it was the best RPG ever. (Before this my best would have gone to Baldur’s Gate 2 and/or Ultima 4. KOTOR is better than BG2.)

Christ, I’m gonna’ be in RPG hog heaven next week. A friend is getting me Gothic 2 for my birthday tomorrow, KotOR next week, and I just started ToEE once the patch was released.

Crazy-speak.[/quote]

Let me know when you’ve tried PC KotOR Stefan. I wasn’t kidding when I said I thought it was the best RPG ever. (Before this my best would have gone to Baldur’s Gate 2 and/or Ultima 4. KOTOR is better than BG2.)[/quote]

Looking forward to checking it out (haven’t even seen it in action, other than at the E3) – I think James Ohlen is definitely one of the very best designers in the biz, so I’m sure I’ll love it. Each release from BioWare is a huge step forward for that company. That said, it’ll have to be great to knock Gothic 2 off for best RPG of the year, in my opinion – that game is definitely fantastic, and I hope it isn’t as overlooked as its predecessor.

And KotoR definitely won’t make me think Lionheart is better than TOEE (a game I also liked a lot, although the bugs were annoying).

You’ll love KotOR, Stefan. Great combat system (with fantastic lightsaber combat), great characters, lots of choices about how you solve problems (and the whole “good and evil” thing), and the best story that Bioware has done to date. So far, my personal Game of the Year.

I like ToEE quite a bit, too. It’s a good “old school” D&D game with some sophisticated tactical combat. I’d like to see Troika tackle something more epic (along the lines of Fallout or Arcanum) with this engine.

I’m not convinced NWN was a step forward from BG2. I like NWN, but at best I’d say it’s a step sideways, and I think in some respects it was a step back.