Kraven The Hunter - It's Kraven time!

I don’t know.

I don’t watch trailers, but I noticed this is directed by JC Chandor.

My first reaction was, “JC Chandor, noooooooooooo!”, but then I remembered he did a godawful movie called Triple Frontier, so now I’m all, like, “oh, right, makes sense…”

That was a Netflix movie, so it doesn’t count.

All is Lost is one of the best movies of all time, so JC Chandor will always be on hallowed ground with me.

Love and respect Chandor for his first two films, but based off the trailer this looks like Morbius territory.

So his superpower comes from being bitten by a lion? I’m seeing a pattern here…

Yeah, at first I was a bit dismayed that Chandor is doing this, but then I remembered that the main qualifications for a lot of these deals is how little the director is willing to get paid and how much they’re willing to adhere to the greater franchise vision.

Also, Ha Ha, you saw Triple Frontier!

Yep, absolutely. Also, I shouldn’t be so cavalier about Chandor, because I suspect he’s doing stuff like Triple Frontier and whatever Marvel script gets dangled in front of him so he can also do moves like All Is Lost, Most Violent Year, and (fingers crossed!) Margin Call. He’s got a couple of non-comic book things upcoming that might actually be the fruits of Triple Frontier.

I see Russell Crowe has entered the Michael Caine period of his career. Or rather the later Laurence Olivier period, as every sketchy role also comes with an over-the-top accent.

I don’t know anything about Kraven’s kids, but I don’t see the point of a super-powered one. The original appeal was that this was a regular human guy who was so bored with being good at what he did that he had to take on super-powered beings for fun.

Ah, but Crowe brings more than an over-the-top accent to Pope’s Exorcist. He brings a motor scooter:

I’d like to see Olivier try that!

Aaron Taylor-Johnson tho.

I don’t understand what this is. Kraven is a Spiderman antagonist. The upcoming Sony ps5 game Spiderman 2 has Kraven as the villain. But this is NOT a spiderman movie?

It’s like the Venom movies. Based on a Spider-Man comic character, but tweaked so he’s not so much a villain. Here, for example, Kraven doesn’t hunt Spidey or animals. He apparently hunts poachers and his Russian mob father by using his special lion-blood powers or something.

oh - I haven’t seen those movies, so thanks for explaining it.

Its so weird though - if I do a youtube search, there is even Kraven the hunter movie trailers, WITH spiderman in it - probably someone just made them themselves then. They did look somewhat weird.

Multichannel production FTW. They timed it with PS5 Spider-man 2 also with Kraven the Hunter.

Does that mean Aaron Taylor-Johnson will never come back as Quicksilver in MCU???

This looks like it’s Morbin’ time again. Just a buncha killin’…

It doesn’t look as bad as Morbius right off the bat (hurr hurr), but there’s also absolutely nothing in this trailer that would make me think I need to watch this on the big screen rather than waiting for it to eventually pop up on a streaming service I’m subscribed to.

That’s my biggest issue with both this (and Morbius before it). Why would I want to watch this? What reason do I have to care at all for this character?

Even if Ironman and Thor might not have been A-list heroes when they debutted in the MCU, they were still recognizable heroes in the franchies and (IM at least) promised some fun popcorn entertainment. The chaining them together using Shield and the promise of a future Avengers movie worked for the same reason.

Is anyone really pining for a Sinister Six movie with these on-screen iterations of the characters? Especially given that No Way Home basically undermined using the classical Goblin, Doc Ock, Electro and Sandman in such a movie.

Sony only had access to the Spider-Man portfolio. So how do you make an extended universe if you only have spider-man? Turn all of spidey’s villains into anti-heroes and make your own Avengers out of them once you’ve built up each one with their own movies.

You know, I’ve come around a bit on superhero/villain movies. As a kid, apparently I was a sheltered little asshole. I saw maybe a grand total of 10 actual comic books growing up. I did see superheroes on TV but they were the watered down cartoonish versions. So I know NONE of these heroes/villains. Nor does my wife. So we actually enjoy watching a streaming movie about some unknown hero/villain because it ends up being a sci-fi’ish action movie with a new plot we haven’t seen over and over again.

There’s also so fucking many of them it’s almost a trope that we can say: "You wanna watch this unknown superhero thing? Might be better than that B-horror movie we were going to watch?

YMMV, we’ll probably watch this when it hits streaming. No interest at all in seeing this in a theatre.

Sure, but you only ask that question because you have a vague knowledge of the character from Spider-Man. Otherwise, you have that same question in front of you for every non-sequel, right?

Why would I want to watch this movie about some 1930-era guy in a Fedora? Why would I want to watch this movie about a gangster family? Why would I want to watch this movie about a shark?

I think that in this case, the very fact that you have some context behind the character is actively turning you off. I am in the same boat: If this was a pitch for a generic super-hero movie I might be intrigued by the actors, the director, or something that I saw in the trailer. But in this case I always thought that Kraven was a silly villain, so this went from a “I’ll wait for reviews” to “they’ll have to be STELLAR reviews.”