Kutaragi goes off his meds. Again

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3175&Itemid=2

“Speaking about the PS3, we never said we will release a game console,” he said. “It is radically different from the previous PlayStation. It is clearly a computer. Indeed, with a game console, you need to take out any unnecessary elements inside the console in order to decrease its cost. … This will of course apply to the PS3 as well.”

“However, the PS3 is a computer,” Kutaragi said. “Lowering costs is important but more important is its capacity to evolve. I think the HDD will gain in capacity. If a new technology gets into mainstream PCs, the PS3 will have to adopt it as well. Maybe the Blu-ray drive will become writable. Well, maybe not at this point.”

At one point in the interview, Kutaragi said that there will eventually be so many options for the PS3, the platforms could theoretically be made build-to-order. He pointed out that this would be a problem for resellers, but added, “as a computer, the PS3 could really be sold via BTO.”

. . .

“I think a year from the launch we could indeed extend the configuration of the PS3. Why not!” Kutaragi conceded, “Okay, this is may be joke or a personal opinion. I mean we have no such plan at this very moment. However, companies like Dell or Apple have such programs. In the PC world, specifications rarely last more than two years. You need to update them. I believe the PC is always evolving. I think that the time may come that the 60GB HDD would become too small or the RAM to low. Such issues are numerous.”

Ahem.

I love this guy. I had to read the first quote like fifteen times before I even understood it.