Lab-grown biological brain pilots jet simulator

WHAT THE HELL

I am usually in favor of doing science. It is a triumph. But this…this creeps me out bigtime.

http://www.wireheading.com/misc/artificial-brain.html Full article

Great, they’re building Cylon jet planes. Nicely done, science.

Oh god, that terrible Rob Cohen movie was right.

The article says the neural network was grown from rat brain cells. GREAT. So now we have fearless rats that can fly airplanes. Cats are fucked.

Especially the glow-in-the-dark ones. Not even the cover of night will protect them from The Brain’s jet fighter force.

Holy shit.

3 Articles.

All linked into the same thread.

This is perhaps the scariest thing I’ve ever read. Skynet is just a few steps away, as this is literally Artificial Intelligence in its prepubescent stages. Great job Science.

That guy looks suspiciously like a Mi-Go.

Freakishly bizarre as that is, I find it strangely comforting that more and more things in the modern world are starting to resemble sci-fi novels. I’m still pissed about the absence of flying cars and cities on the moon, but at least we have rat-brain pilot AI and vaguely Blade Runner-esque electronic billboards.

How soon before the rat brain turns evil and bombs a city?

It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. In a panic, we will try to pull the plug.

Hmm… So flying a flight simulator basically requires a small collection of rat brain cells.

This explains a lot of posts in comp.sys.ibm.pc.flight-sim over the past decade or so.

It’ll just fly the plane down a sewer first chance it gets.

Intro sewer level for Elder Scrolls 5:

Now equip your sword by pressi - AAARRRRRGHSquelch!!!

Next step: ratbrain telemarketers, collections departments, and customer care representatives.

Winner!

Why use 25k rat brain cells anyway? Shouldn’t a neural network like this be simple enough to simulate in software?

I’m not sure, but I think the point of the research is to understand how real neural networks function and learn. Using an artificial neural net wouldn’t really help with that. Teaching the rat-brain to fly an aircraft seems incidental to the experiment, cool though it is.

The hardest part was teaching the rat brain to think in Russian.

Tom should unban Derek Smart so we could ask him.

Eastwood reference for the win.

Wearing the face mask of an unfortunate Miskatonic graduate, no doubt. Why do our cruel alien overlords toy with us like that?