Laptop hinge breaking

One of the hinges on my laptop is rapidly deteriorating. The screen housing pops open at the hinge whenever the angle of the screen changes even 1 mm. I can mostly snap it back together… but of course any further movement and it just reopens. I also saw a couple of little black plastic pieces on my desk yesterday so I’m pretty sure that whatever keeps the screen permanently together is wearing out or broken.

My question is, is there a way to fix this? I am sort of leery to take apart the screen housing for fear that I will wreck something. Or is this just a sign from God that I need to buy a new laptop?

You don’t mention the age of the laptop or your general financial condition.
You can duct tape it, but it’s never going to be right.
Actually fixing the issue is likely cost prohibitive and the symptoms likely indicate a design issue that will still be there in the future.

If we’re voting on your choices, I think God is speaking loud and clear.

Ah, good point. I got the laptop right at the end of 2017, so it’s 3.5 years old. It has a GTX 1050 Ti. So it wouldn’t make me cry to have to replace it

I’ve read that high-powered gaming laptops with lots of RGB have sturdier hinge designs. It’s just science.

That is… not all that old actually. But I agree that it’s time to replace it & I’d strongly consider something that’s made better if at all possible.

But I’m not sure what current well-built gaming laptops look like & how cost-prohibitive they might be vs the cheaply-constructed versions. I’ve been out of the market / buying MacBooks for many years now.

Diego

I would be seriously annoyed if I had to replace a 3.5 year old laptop. I like to get a good 6 years of I can.

We’ll sure it’s annoying. If you need the portability feature of the laptop and you’re constantly opening and closing it, then a broken duct taped case is going to annoy you too. Pick you poison.

Are there any well-built laptops? Build quality in laptops in general seems like garbage and has for ages. I’ve heard ok things about the Latitude line from Dell, but I am definitely NOT a fan of the Inspiron-based XPS I have, which is kinda old at this point. Not including Macs here, they might be built well but they’re not really my cup of tea.

Inspiron is Dell’s budget line.

Bump up to full XPS. The XPS 13 and 15s are well-loved for a reason. They’re aluminum with carbon fiber decks.

Almost all Surfaces are magnesium or aluminum. The exception is the new Go, which is part aluminum and plastic.

I generally steer clear of any laptop case that is made entirely out of plastic.