Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

This bothers me more than anything else about the game. I never really liked Jim Cummings’ voice anyway and he’s all over the place. I can’t not hear Darkwing Duck, no matter what character he’s doing.

Great game. Purchased it immediately after playing through the demo.

Wow, tremendously fun demo. I’m a little surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

Yeah, I didn’t catch Jason’s reply, but yeah, I was assuming higher resolution textures. Rendering at a higher resolution isn’t necessarily an improvement if you’re relying on the lower resolution to hide shortcuts or flaws.

There’s a big difference in what you can see at 720 and 1600x1050 let alone 1900x1200.

I still think this is the best controller-based overhead action game scheme I’ve ever encountered. It’s just so natural to change weapons, evade/roll, fire at enemies, jump, etc. I really hope this game becomes the new standard for all isometric action games.

If Diablo 3 ever gets controller support, I really hope they use something similar to this control scheme for it.

I liked the controls, but I kept wishing that you could select weapons with the Right Stick instead of having to use the buttons. That might be too fiddly for some, though.

I kind of like that it’s on the buttons, as it allows me to still be attacking enemies while being able to look at the four weapons I have selected and deciding which to pick.

Although I can see where you’re going… your solution would allow you to never move your thumbs off the two sticks.

Keep in mind that you can also change weapons using the d-pad, instead of using the trigger+face buttons.

Yep, that’s about it. To undermine my own suggestion, I could also envision someone holding down both triggers in a panic, so not firing while that happens could be bad.

Really? Awesome! I must have missed that. I officially retract my gripe.

One thing I can’t figure out is how you’re supposed to use your relic power. The first relic you get lets you do a power shot. Then I found another one in the second level which lets me do a scatter shot. They both have spear symbols on the relics, so I assume you use it with the spear somehow, but how exactly do you use it? I know your relic meter has to be full. But then, how do you actually use it?

I was assuming it was automatic when it was the power shot, since maybe it was doing a subtle amount of extra damage with the spear or something like that, but now that I’ve switched to the scatter shot, I can clearly see that I’m not using the scatter shot ability.

They just automatically work when you have Relic power.

Then how come I don’t see any kind of scatter effect now that I’ve switched to the scattershot relic? It is supposed to work on the spear weapon, right?

Is it just a really subtle scatter effect maybe?

I still can’t say enough good things about this game as a combat engine/isometric action adventure game. I just love how limber Lara is, and how I can throw spears, drop bombs, evade, shoot enemies, jump around, and do it all so naturally and instinctively.

I don’t think it works on the spear or the pistols. Try a machine gun to see it.

Use the health/ammo regen relic until you get some that have those + other powers. Being able to spam autoshotgun is a thing of beauty.

I just tried the XBLA demo (couldn’t find a PC one), and I guess I’m sold. Problem is, I don’t know which platform I should buy it on.

On one hand, some of my friends have the 360 version, and they’re supposed to add online coop, and it might be a great game to play on the couch, but I have a hard time playing that kind of isometric game at such a low resolution.

So there is the PC version, and Steam offers TR Legend along with it if I buy it before tomorrow… But how is the port ? Is it xbox pad friendly ?

I guess the best should be to wait for the inevitable sale, but it looks too sleek to pass upon even if I have a ton of games on my backlog…

Low resolution? 1920x1080 is low res now?

I’m not trying to play the PC elitist there, so yeah, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. My TV is only 720p… Is the game in 1080p ?

I thought most 360 game were 720p… they can be upscaled but they often look kinda blurry. I usually don’t care that much, but I find that it makes isometric games harder to control. And the demo I played was definitely blurry, just like Deathspank is with my PS 3, and unlike for instance Torchlight on my monitor…

Most games look much better on a decent PC than on a 360 if the port is alright, anyway, so the question remains.

Inactiviste, it sounds like you’d get much better looking games from your consoles if you had a better TV. Not saying that to be snarky. I also happened to have TVs in the past where things looked blurry and not crisp. Getting a better TV and monitor to play on has definitely improved my console experiences a lot.

Anyway, that’s for the long term. For the shorter term, back to the question at hand: I’m guessing the PC version will support the 360 controller, but be better looking, or look just as good. There’s a demo on Steam right now, but you have to sign up for Gamespot to get the code for it.

That was a pretty good altough smallish (hence the 720p) TV in 2007 when I bought it, after the 360 launched. Granted it was supposed to be very good at filtering SD TV, which seemed pretty important back the but not that much nowadays.

I’ll just wait a bit before buying a new one, maybe for 3D to hit a good price point…

Maybe the blur also has something to do with the way the game is focused, sometimes too much bloom can be more trouble than it’s worth. Maybe I must get stronger glasses too, I’m getting older and I spend too much time in front of screens so I sometime have problems focusing.

Anyway, that’s for the long term. For the shorter term, back to the question at hand: I’m guessing the PC version will support the 360 controller, but be better looking, or look just as good. There’s a demo on Steam right now, but you have to sign up for Gamespot to get the code for it.

Should have just asked for demo impressions. Thanks for the help tough.