Last Call BBS: Zachtronics' new game

Wow! What is the Zachtronics spin exactly?

Once you’ve dealt all cards (always deal 3 in this case) you can use the vacant “deck spot” as a transfer area for one card at a time, kind of like in Freecell. It’s a simple but super awesome change.

Got it. Sounds cool. Thanks!

When I was in third grade, my mom was addicted to solitaire. She would sit on the carpet behind an upholstered chair in the living room and play for hours while me and my sister were at school. That’s when she realized she needed to go back to school or work.

When I was in fourth grade, I was a latch key child and my mom started earning her master’s, and later doctorate degrees in Civil War history.

So I have a slight phobia of solitaire. :)

Understood! Well, the good thing with Last Call BBS is that you can pretty much ignore the two solitaire variants in there.

You have to get 10 wins on the base and all difficulty levels on the secondary to get all of the story entries…

Yeah, but it’s not like it’s required. I don’t know how good the story is, but I don’t expect it to be anything but secondary.

Is anyone playing this? I just had a very inefficient solution to the KAZAM puzzle in the food court game. The GIF is even too big to upload here, I’ll need to halve the time to get it under 2 MB :D

Feel free to add me for leaderboard padding! Probably safe to put friend codes up on the inter webs? 54633947

I am playing this but mostly I focused on Dungeons & Diagrams so far.

I only play the solitaire, really. I’ll play the rest eventually ;)

I just finished Dungeons & Diagrams this week (and a couple dozen of the endless random puzzles)!

And the other part I got surprisingly into was the model-building. Made each model once already. It’s a nice activity when I feel like a low-pressure activity.

I just tried this out for the first time on Game Pass.

I really like the Dungeons & Diagrams game, which initially I thought was a regular nonogram/Picross game, but it turned out to be a bit more difficult with all the different constraints. I think I’m getting the hang of it and got through the first row so far.

Next I tried the Steed Force model builder. I enjoyed cutting the parts out and assembling them together, but I couldn’t be bothered to do all the proper masking to paint the details. Does the game actually evaluate whether you’ve painted the models correctly?

I’m assuming there’s some overall progression for this game. And if so, will this require completion for all the mini games? I figure I simply won’t be good enough at some games or just not have interest in finishing some of them. Like those models are just not gonna be painted, and I’m not keen on playing Solitaire.

No, no verification. You can paint them however you want. I thought at first it going to be too exacting for me. Then I played a little more and found out that exacting is awesome.

I’m not positive, because the only games I’ve played for very long are the two you mentioned, but it seems like there’s just some casual story stuff that shows up at different points in the progression of each game. It’s all very wistful and melancholic, telling the story of the developers behind these different games. Very fitting for a final farewell to game dev.

I’m frustrated with this wonderful game. It has failed to save my progress four times now even though I’m shutting down my Sawayama system properly. I lost half a model (painted very carefully) and numerous Dungeons solutions too. I redid them a few times but it keeps happening.

I googled the problem and found a post with a suggestion for how to recover a save file but it didn’t work. Sadly, I think I have to quit playing it.

Ouch, that stinks!

That’s a bummer. I’ve luckily had no problems with the steam version on macbook, other than it gives me a crash report each time
I quit, but all is fine knock on wood

Most time spent with the food court game, which is the most zachlike-like of the bunch. Really stumped on how some got those low cycle scores

Thanks. I feel better if I can just play whatever I feel like. :) I want to try out one of the programming games since I’ve never played a Zachtronics game before.

I’d be pretty upset if I spent a bunch of time painting one of those models and the work didn’t get saved. I do love the hard drive blipping sounds though.

Turns out I’m much too hooked on Dungeons and Diagrams to stop playing so I’ve taken to backing up my progress by taking pictures of my solutions on my phone. I just had to restore three puzzles I lost but it was a snap. :)

(But I should really be using a Polaroid camera to get in the spirit and era of the game.)

Oof. I made it to the last Dungeons and Diagrams puzzle and it’s a doozy. I can’t find anything on the grid to start a process of logic or deduction so it’s all basically guess-work.

After a few hours working on it yesterday and today, I finally found a solution that follows the rules properly (contiguous area, no open squares of four spaces) but somehow it isn’t the correct solution. Aggravating!

I’m inclined to move on with my life secure in the knowledge that I completed this part of the game even if the game doesn’t agree.

I’m only half way through the game, so ignore me if things change later on, but don’t the ‘dead end’ spaces each need a monster?

Correct. No dead ends without monsters.