LawBreakers - CliffyB's Boss Key joint

I really hope this game does well for Boss Key and the people who bought it. It does seem like it’s trying something genuinely different from the rest out there, with a fair business model, and a dedicated team behind it.

I personally aren’t buying it yet since I don’t want to play this on my PS4 and currently don’t have a gaming PC, but whenever I build a gaming PC I’ll eagerly buy this if it still has people playing.

That was well done, dude. :)

The writing was on the wall for LawBreakers. I’m shocked it didn’t get canned after Battleborns reception.

It looks like the pitchforks are already being sharpened.

There are a bunch of these big budget me-too-after-several-years games . Battleborn is one, for sure. But also Paragon, Paladins, and LawBreakers. Everybody knows they’re doomed to fail. Everybody.

It’s possible to come in late and succeed-- Smite is a successful title even though it’s a MOBA-come-lately because they had a twist on the genre, a completely new third-person behind shoulder perspective.

But Battleborn, Paragon, Paladins, and LawBreakers… nobody gives a shit about these games no matter how many millions of dollars they spend. If one of them turns out to be truly excellent, it’s possible that CliffyB’s holding-back-tears optimistic take could happen, and the title could grow over time like EVE Online. It can happen. But will it? (Nah.)

I don’t think Gigantic is going to do well either, after Battleborn tanked.

Yeah, that’s another one. I completely forgot about it.

Now I’m not a fan of the genre or anything, but I do keep on top of gaming news in general, so that isn’t a great sign.

Dannnnnnnnnng that’s a great video. Watch it, everybody. I wouldn’t say it’s fully deserved, but it just savages CliffyB.

that dev that says “and eventually, Cliff signs off on it… after driving around in his lambo”… oh shit…

Well, you are wrong.

1. Battleborn wasn’t one of the ‘me toos’, it was one of the pioneers, one of the first announced shooters-with-some-MOBA-elements games. Before Overwatch, LawBreakers, Paragon and Paladins. Hell the term hero shooter still hadn’t coalesced in that time.
  2. Paladins is a fairly big success, with 10 million registered players, and actually it has 1.3M regular players (that have played at least once in the last 2 weeks).

As the phrase goes The victors get to write the history, and the simple fact is Overwatch crushed Battleborne so it will always be seen as a “me too” like game.

Total Biscuit put out a great WTF video on Lawbreakers.

Overall he leaned towards being very positive, but identified several issues that a weighing down the game right now. Namely, the lack of a robust tutorial, a very static and sub-par practice level, the fact that the game doesn’t take the time to properly teach players the critical movement mechanics (blindfire used as propulsion), issues with auto-balancing during live matches, and reusing maps across all game modes whether they are suited to it or not.

I really want this game to succeed and thrive, but I am waiting to see if Boss Key can address these issues. I would also love an offline bot mode for practice but that is probably asking a lot from a mid-tier AA game. I will be patient follow development carefully.

Well, let’s see what happened after the first weekend:

Concurrent Steam users on the weekend (average of the last two days):

Free to Play:
Paladins - 37500
Gigantic - 2000

Mixed?
Battleborn - 140

Paid:
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds - 600000
Dayz - 4500
Killing Floor 2 - 3600
LawBreakers - 1950
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - 1800
Mirage: Arcane Warfare - 28

Breakin’ the law… breakin’ the law… (guitar squeal)

Yay, I can finally play with some people in Mirage! I have only played with bots so far (which isn’t too bad).

Also, what the hell happened to Rising Storm 2: Vietnam! I can’t believe the player numbers dropped so low. That is really disheartening.

Well, I don’t know where TT has his numbers from, but right now Rising Storm 2: Vietnam has 1452 players in it.

Yeah its doing about as well as all their games do 2-3 months after release.

You are right, I had to copy the wrong number by mistake. Fixed above.

Killing Floor 2 is gonna get a bump next month being the lead game of the next Humble Monthly.

Yep the active nightly player base is going down… So what do they do now?
Maybe its doing better on console?

There are a number of modern FPS games that do a lot better on console for multiplayer. Sadly Battlefield 1 is one of them, the logic is that PC players prefer more modern militaristic type of shooters.

Will it go F2P?