Le Wroom: Le Mans 24 Hours 2009

The #1 Audi is catching up by about 4 seconds per lap last I heard, so Peugeot can’t rest easy just yet.

The Audi may catch up a little, but it’s two laps down. The Peugeots can afford to lose a little time without pushing the cars beyond breaking limit, and the Audi doesn’t have the speed to truly put the Peugeots under pressure. This race is now Peugeots to lose.

08:55

Ferrari #81 is getting an awful lot of TV coverage for someone running 10th in the GT2 class. And pretty much only when driver P. Dempsey is in the car…

That’s the way it goes - gotta keep those Le Mans TV-widows interested!

Still pulling for an Aston Martin to make the podium!

(setting recorder for the night)

09:15

Audi #1 spent a couple of minutes in the garage, likely to clean out air intakes et. al. as there have been problems with the turbo chargers overheating. They certainly don’t have two minutes to spare in the battle against the Peugeots. Looks like Audi will have to settle for third this year.

Noooooo, an AM just crashed! I didn’t go to sleep in time!

Edit in: Whew, not the 4th place car. Now I can go back to bed (TV still on, of course)

09:37

An Aston Martin smacks into the tire wall at the Dunlop Bridge. It’s the 009, the slowest of the Aston, running 10th in class. Safety car is out.

The closest race right now is in GT1 where the two factory Corvettes are neck-and-neck. #63 has led the whole race, but their fastest driver, Jan Magnussen, is down with stomach problems, and with the safety car out, the #64 Corvette has closed the gap.

10:14

The stewards warn of possible rain at 11:00. Though good news for Audi, it’ll probably not be enough to snatch the lead from Peugeot.

10:45

Allan McNish in Audi #1 races right up the butt of Peugeot #8, McNish flashing the headlights at every opportunity, just to psyche out Sarrazin a little. The Audi is still two laps down though.

Spectators are breaking out the umbrellas. The big slick vs. intermediate vs. rain tires is on. Forecast says light rain only though.

11:31

Audi #1 does an unscheduled pit stop to change the steering wheel. According to driver Tom Kristensen, some of the electronic functions don’t work. McNish does only one lap, then the Audi #1 goes in the garage. Driver change. Capello goes in, despite McNish not having driven very long. Looks like the mechanics are struggling with the electronics and something’s going on with the rear. The Audi mechanics look a little flustered, which is NOT a common sight at Le Mans. Good news for Peugeot, whose cars are running like clockwork.

11:41

More than 20 hours gone, and in GT1 the two factory Corvettes are literally side-by side for the class lead. It’s the closest race this year by far.

11:44

Audi #1 is back on the track, but Capello apparently has a little trouble, maybe it’s just cold tires. Simultaneously, Audi #3 goes into the gravel trap. Again.

The Peugeot guys do not dare to smile. Yet.

12:47

Corvette #64 suddenly stops working, stalling right before the pit entry. The race marshals push it to the pit entry (off the track). Corvette mechanics run (well, walk at a brisk pace at least) to the pit entry. There’s some debate with race officials as to whether they’re allowed to work on it, as it’s outside the official pit area.

13:46

Team Goh Porsche #5 crashes into the barrier at the chicane on the straight. It’s out of the race and the 2nd place in LMP2 is gone, but what’s more important, driver Seiji Ara doesn’t seem to be all to well. Let’s hope it’s nothing serious.

Edit: Ara is out of the car and on his own two feet. Good to see.

13:50

Lola Mazda #39 stalls right before the pit. Smoke turns in to flames, but nothing too serious. Probably a ruptured oil line.

14:47

Peter Elgaard, manager of the Danish Touring Car Championship is known as “Little Bernie Ecclestone” for being a brutally tough race manager. Now he’s crying like a waterfall as his son Casper Elgaard drives the Essex Porsche #31 to victory in the LMP2 class. Winning at Le Mans, for anyone, is a very big deal.

That’s the end of 24 hours of racing.

LMP1: Peugeot finally got their win, and well deserved one it was. They were the fastest cars of all, ran like clockwork, and the pit work was impeccable. The usually unbreakable Audis had their share of problems this year, probably because the car wasn’t as tried and tested as usual. A fourth place is a very respectable debut for Aston Martin, and it’s great to see he Gulf colours again.

LMP2: Proving the old saying that if you want to win at Le Mans, buy a Porsche, Team Essex traded last years second place with a win. The cooperation with Michelin paid off in terms of tire wear, and pit work was generally faster than their closest competitors. Danes may be used to drivers (notably Tom Kristensen) winning, but this was the first win ever for a Danish team.

GT1: Corvette celebrated their last race with a win. God I’m gonna miss the rumble of that V8.

GT2: Risi Competizione led from start to finish, and Ferrari utterly pwned Porsche this year. May Ferraris appetite be wetted for something bigger? Oh, and Dr. McDreamys #81 car made it to the finish.

Overall a great race with rivals running neck-and-neck several times. It truly shows that Le Mans has turned into a 24 hour sprint race.

It will be interesting to see what comes up next year: Will Peugeot defend its title? Will Audi try to take back the throne, and will they build a new car for it? Will Aston Martin be able to tackle the diesels? Will other LMP2 teams be cueing up to buy Porsche RS Spyders? What will replace GT1 if the class is dropped? What will Porsche do to beat Ferrari next year? And will others try as well?

LMP1: Well-deserved victory by Peugeot. I was really happy to see the Lola Aston Martins, and hope they, Peugeot, and Audi will all be there next year.

LMP2: I just hope that the Porsches return to the American Le Mans series. Missed them this year.

GT1: Just not enough competitors. But the good news is…

GT2: Corvette GT2 will debut later this year. Now, if a Lotus will show up, I’ll be a happy man!

krise madsen, thank you for your updates. I wasn’t able to watch the race at any point, but this thread was good consolation. You do good work.

Well done, Pug. Thanks for the thread, Krise.