Leaving Quarter to Three (and no longer sponsoring the site)

I’m curious what this means. Does Wumpus want his name redacted from his posts?

Possibly, wasn’t even aware that was an option. Anyway we don’t do that sort of thing.

Okay, it seemed weird to me, but wasn’t sure if I was missing something. Like, if someone wants to delete all their posts, that’s their prerogative, but it would’ve surprised me a bit if there was some expectation that forum administrators would do any of that for a user.

In the world of GDPR, it might be a feature you don’t want to simply ignore if you get a user request to do so (but I’m not a lawyer or GDPR expert and I don’t run this site. That said, I’m guessing there might be exposure if a European user makes the request?).

Would comply with requests from a european citizen as required by law.

Good. I was mentioning that just in case because you had just said earlier:

I wouldn’t pay taxes either given my druthers!

You won’t click a button per his specific request?

Why not?

@Nihm replied to a post I made during the migration that meant the world to me, I wanted him or her to know that. Thanks so much for the kind words!

I don’t like the idea of erasing history, and he didn’t make a fuss about it. I guess if he asked directly I’d do it.

What about a European citizen living in the U.S.? There must be other scenarios we can dream up to give stusser a headache. Just kidding, don’t anonymize me bro

Well crap. I am sorry to see you go @wumpus. We may not have 100% agreed on every little thing, but I definitely like and respect you and your contributions to the discussions across the forums will be missed. Thank you for everything you’ve done to improve QT3 (I love Discourse!) and for all the fantastic discussions you’ve been a part of. Take care my friend, and hopefully we will see you back again in the future.

As for the idea that forum moderation on QT3 is somehow lacking or totalitarian in nature…I’ve never seen it that way. I’ve been here a long time, through at least a couple of big user schisms that saw people leave for reasons they had every right to feel were valid. We all have different tolerance levels for certain types of discussion, and I know my patience has been tried at times. But through all those years I have never seen someone blatantly abuse the forums who wasn’t quickly backhanded into oblivion by Tom and Stusser. I’ve even seen a few of those people rematerialize on the forums after apologizing privately to Tom and go on to become valued members of the community. That alone tells me forum moderation is in good hands as is.

Gone, but not before you yourself had a chance to drive off a far more charming poster (@amanda_chen) with a bit of trolling of your own. That poster left with a graceful “Later.” You could have learned a lesson from that.

I like that his anonymize function doesn’t erase history, it just removes the poster information and username. Seems pretty great to me.

Yeah, same.

Still, was a really awesome thing he did for the site, and as a certified discourse hater from day 1, he certainly turned me around on it.

What happened to Amanda?

Link.

Speaking of Amanda Chen, does anybody have any contact with her? Would she come back if asked?

She frequents Broken Forum, and is a great contributor there (as she had been here). I suppose we could ask her there…