Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I’ve completed like 60 puzzles so far, and I’ve come across maybe 4 motion control maps so far. They really aren’t a big deal, and certainly not invasive enough to qualify as a slap in the face. It’s not like they only work on a controller or Amiibo you’d have to buy separately.

I mean shit, it’s way more annoying to arrive at a shrine that needs a ton of arrows (and doesn’t provide any) 5 seconds after you just used the last of them in some big fight.

The Zelda GDC talk is up (I’m in love with this game):

I saw what you did there!

(I mentally reduced the font size of the parenthesized part.)

OK, I bought an Bokgoblin amiibo… was sitting there, waiting to picked up, what could I do? The reward once per day is fine, regarding how fast weapons break, I am fine with it.
Speaking of weapons, I fought a hard goblin settlement and got rewarded with a lot of gear, 3 knight swords +26 , lots of arrows and really good spike shields. 1 hour later I only have one of the swords left ;( I hoped they were really durable, they were better than the other stuff… so I really will save this one for special occassions ;)

I marked that camp and visit after every red moon. I also visit the combat shrines after every red moon also. My inventory is filled with light sabers and knight swords. Light sabers for guardians steel for everything else.

Also I find ancient melee weapons are totally not worth it.

Also I am a guardian slaying badass now. AMA.

I didnt know combat shrines respawned. Aaghh. I’m missing out on weapons.

So I found this shrine with a “modest test of strength” and I’m having Capra Demon flashbacks. I never thought a Zelda game would trigger my Dark Souls PTSD. :)

Just finished my second of four big things! Off in the desert this time. So different from the Zora one, yet epic and pretty astounding in its own right.

This game does pure sense of scale better than pretty much any other game out there.

For sure. And for someone like me who likes to charge through the main story and do side stuff at the end it’s challenging to remain focused!

I like the roguelike island … you lose everything, and this island is your new playground… don’t want go into more details

Anyone able to give some advice on what to sell to vendors and what to keep? I am doing very little cooking so far but I know to save those components. And I have to save all the ancient stuff for later on. What’s safe to sell?

I’ve been selling off excess cooking ingredients, by first cooking them up into simple meals. 5 easily-found ingredients nets you a nice little earner.

Beyond that, I’m selling excess gems (except for stuff like diamonds) and keeping most everything else.

Basically start gathering/selling stuff when you need the rupees!

Do gems have any other use? What about things like Amber? Is that considered a gem?

I think nearly everything has uses, so I’ve been keeping 10 or so of each and selling excess. They’re good rupees! And I mark bigger deposits on the map using the stamps, so I can always mine more! I’d include amber, yes, as it comes out of the rocks.

If you’re worried, the safest thing is to just sell meals cooked up from ingredients. I guess it all comes down to how desperate you are for cash.

I’ve thrown caution into the wind and started selling any and all gems with the exception diamonds. They are easy enough to farm up and I have not fully confirmed but I think nodes respawn on blood moons. I know they respawn, I just don’t know the respawn trigger. So just put a marker on an ore rich mountainside and revisit. I went from a struggling poor hero to a home owner in designer clothing and an antique bow. I have yet to come across a need for gems other than diamonds.

The Thunderblight BadGuy encounter can fuck right off.

So far everything else has lived up to the hype.

I keep hearing about an awesome island event that I have missed out on so far it seems. I have avoided spoilers on it other than it’s existence, but now I’m intrigued and want to know how to find it but also don’t want to look at a guide on how to find it.

I know one island event that plays like a sandbox roguelike… it can be found south of Hateno

I found and completed that island earlier tonight. My only advice, without delving into spoilers, is just make sure you have 30-45 minutes available to play, because there are a few stages/progression points on the island and you can’t save while on it.

I can’t get over how un-Nintendo this game feels, while at the same time being recognisably Nintendo. It makes me really excited for what they might do to their other franchises.