Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Which, to be clear, is perfectly ok. There’s nothing against the law with being wrong @Rock8man ;)

Joking aside it basically boils down to: I hear what you are saying, but it simply does not compute. If you were to ask 100 gamers about Zelda, and whether the music was a strength or weakness, I bet that only 1* out of that 100 would share your opinion.

*perhaps slight hyperbole, but also perhaps not. But then again Nickleback sold out stadiums so shrug

And 80 out of 100 would have no opinion, due to never having played a Zelda game?

I limited it to gamers. If you want to get really picky and say gamers who have played Zelda I could, and would stand by my sentiment.

I know you limited it to gamers; it’d be totally absurd to suggest that 20% of the general population would have played some Zelda game. This isn’t just aimless nitpicking: there’s this strange undercurrent in this discussion about Zelda being some kind of universal shared cultural experience among gamers.

Rock8man has opinions on a game, and is labelled as being “weird” and “being wrong”. It’s like a fucking cult. (Oh, ha-ha. I’m obviously just joking about the cult thing, just like you were just joking rather than actually insulting him.)

And for what it’s worth… The music in Breath of the Wild did nothing for me. I guess there was music? I can’t actually remember it. So I’m pretty sure that in this thread we have far more than 1% of people who didn’t connect with Zelda’s music.

Yeah, for the vast majority of games, I seem to share the consensus. There are various outliers like this. Zelda is definitely one. My love for the original Assassin’s Creed is another. My love for Shiny’s Enter the Matrix is another. My dislike of Baldur’s Gate is another. My love for Prince of Persia Warrior Within and the Dahaka makes it the second best in the series for me behind the 2008 reboot. My love for Final Fantasy X is another, I think, though I have more company there than the rest of this list.

And I though I’d been pretty clear that I hadn’t played BotW specifically. I have, however, played most other Zelda games (the 3DS games excepted). So my comment is that the series, historically, has had music as a strong point. I’ve heard nothing on BotW that convinced me this is not true here as well, but different strokes and all that.

Hey, I’ll stand by you on these.

You must be my brother or something.

Sounds like me with The Wonderful 101. It has its issues but when Tables Turn hits any fucks I have to give are out the window.

Gives me goosebumps!

I just want to chime in and say that I’ve been playing Breath of the Wild on the Switch and I love it. Put me in the camp of people who love the lack of hand-holding and the vast open world. There’s a charm to it that I haven’t seen in other open world games. While I love GTA V, etc… I have been longing for a child-friendly open world game (with some narrative elements) that I can play with my kids and this one hits the spot perfectly. Last night, I let my 4 year old run around and play on the horse, etc. She had a blast just picking up and throwing chickens, etc. None of the characters were murdering others or stealing cars or cursing. It was great. BTW, I’m looking at getting Lego City Undercover for the same reason.

After reading this thread, I started paying attention to the music, which I also really enjoy. :)

Also, as for playing with kids, this is funny.

I’m rolling. I pulled out the Wii over the weekend and introduced my son to Mario Kart. Much fun was had.

This is genius, mostly because it reminds me of my own son learning how to play games. He’s 16 now, going on 17, and has his own console and PC he games on and doesn’t even need my help to pay for his hobby, but it started just like this, him taking over and sometimes ruining my games.

The best example I can very easily recall (because I still give him shit about this) is when he was young he had a habit of starting over in games. He liked the simplicity of the opening most games have, and once he got out of a “tutorial” type area, he’d figure out how to delete his save and start over. This was fine for most things, but one day I let him drive (“only drive, be careful not to hit anyone, and don’t get out of the car”) in GTA IV. He did and he had a lot of fun. So much so, he decided to delete my save game while I was 30+ hours into it and still a ways off from beating the game. I don’t even know when he did it, I watched him whenever he played to make sure it wasn’t too violent for him. I never did beat that game, I nearly beat him though.

I’ve really enjoyed BoTW, but I have noticed that I’ve had a Chick Parabola-esque response to the open world.

When I’m first on the Great Plateau, even just the plateau itself seemed enormous. Then, when you get off the plateau, you’re like “that was tiny, the actual world is fricken’ huge!” Then, there’s kind of a sweet spot where you’re encountering each different biome for the first time, which is the top of the parabola.

But then, after you’ve sort of seen everything once, and your stamina is up to where you can run or glide more often than not, and you can teleport to wherever you want, the world starts to feel very small again. (Maybe a self-restriction of fast-travel would help solve that? But only I think only marginally). I guess this has been discussed at length, but really it’s the dis-empowerment restrictions that make the early game interesting.

I think that part of it is that the world’s systems aren’t actually that interesting to me. Once I’ve discovered everything in the world, there’s little reason (e.g. dynamic interactions, combat system depth) to want to stay in it. I enjoy being surprised with new little novelties, but once I’m out of novelties, I don’t find it that interesting.

This is absolutely a hollow complaint because I’m 60+ hours into the game, so obviously it’s a huge amount of content, and well-spaced, because I’m just getting bored as I’m hitting the “typical” game length. But, my problem, I think, is that I don’t see it as a compelling sandbox, just as a collection of compelling content. So, for instance, I couldn’t see myself playing it again.

That was hilarious, thanks for sharing.

The DLC solves your issue. They take everything away and force you to use only your wits and the little bit of gear and food and whatnot you can scrounge. It’s pretty awesome.

Plus it has Master Mode if you decided to play it again, making it more difficult right from the start… and since you know things pretty well if you finished it, you can definitely try to be bold and discover new novelties. There is more than one way to kill a Bokoblin…

So I’m playing this now as I managed to get a switch and it basically lives up to my expectations…which is that it’s pretty OK but generally overrated. I find this with most Zelda games, they are usually pretty decent but not the second coming of gaming they are often hailed as. I wonder what people would think if it wasn’t called Zelda and wasn’t from Nintendo.

The tilt puzzle shrines also completely suck, especially in undocked mode where it’s harder to do the flip trick.

Yes! This! I tried the first one while in bed. Haha. Nope. I did wake my wife up while thrashing around, though.

I started a game in Master Mode over the weekend. I’ve gone from feeling like a super hero to feeling like a lost, lonely man in a scary, deadly world.

It’s not the harder monster thing that really does it, it’s the regeneration. You can’t really cheese down a group of monsters anymore, you either have to outright assassinate them or really focus-fire them one at a time. I spent a lot more time planning engagements our just outright avoiding monster camps.

I cheated and scanned all my Amiibos, though, so I actually have a few decent weapons as well as Epona. That’s making it much more survivable.

I’m no where close yet but I think the Trial of the Sword might actually be impossible on Master Mode. Your weapons will all break before you can DPS down these monsters, if they pump them up too. If it’s the same trials, no problem!

Haven’t done master mode, how intense is the regen? 1% per second?

I’m not certain but it’s quick. It’s more punishing on higher hp enemies. If you’re not constantly DPSing them, they heal hundreds of hp and your break all your weapons on them. It does seem to cap at 80% though, so they never heal to full that I’ve seen.

Group fights are really tough. If you send a guy flying, you can’t shift to the other guys closing in on you. You have to chase down and focus fire them 1 at a time. So, breaking up packs with distractions and backstabbing stragglers is the way to go.

It feels more Dark Soulsy, where you need to plan your engagements. And some engagements just aren’t worth it.

The upside is there’s a lot more treasure around the world to keep you flush in weapons.