Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I didn’t see another thread so will start one. Discuss all things Breath of the Wild here.

I had no interest in this until I saw the gameplay. Open world exploration tickles my fancy. Watched the Treehouse playthroughs and just wondered if anyone has any more details on the Amiibos. For example, if you leveled up this Amiibo in the previous game does it carry over to the new one? For example your wolf link has 10 hearts, will it have 10 hearts as a companion in BotW? If so that would tempt me to get and play the previous game.

Also, any idea what the new amiibos for the BotW will do?

Thanks all.

It’s still too far away for me to get too excited at this point, but I tend to enjoy all the 3D Zeldas, and have been with the series since growing up with LoZ on the NES in the 80s.

Few games are as memorable and full of spirit as Zelda games, so I’m sure it will be an experience not to be missed.

It’s Zelda, I’m at a minimum level of interest by default.

I haven’t played since Gameboy days. This game seems to be much more like the original game.

The last zelda game I played has been wind waker on the GC. I loved it. However, not being much of a console gamer I didn’t buy much else other than mario sunshine which i got frustrated with. Id love to play more zelda games, but I can’t justify buying a console for one or two games.

Ugh. I’m a huge fan of the 3D Mario games, but Mario Sunshine was just a constant reminder of how much I suck at gaming. In order to look to your right, you had to move the c-stick to the left, and in order to look to your left, you had to move the c-stick to the right. It’s the concept of moving the camera, not your perspective, and it couldn’t be reversed. I tried for a long time to get used to it, but my brain just couldn’t grasp it. I always looked the wrong way first, and eventually I just gave up. Mario Sunshine was one of the first games to make me realize there were certain things I just couldn’t relearn anymore as I got older. If I’d been 10 years younger I probably could have adopted to that reversal with no problems.

The rush of people to go play the game on the last day of E3: https://youtu.be/ahMRnlWf2P0

I’m certainly impressed with how much they seem to have embraced the open world stuff - console Zelda really needed to do something to mix things up. But I’m also kind of nervous - given that Nintendo doesn’t really have any experience with this sort of thing, I worry about how they’re going to handle pacing and collectibles. On the one hand, they’re not going to automatically go down the tired Ubisoft path, but equally Ubi have at least learned some good tricks from iterating on the same basic design so much.

See I’m not super worried about them following the Ubi plan. Nintendo gonna Nintendo, so I’d expect this to be different from standard open world in at least 3 amazing ways, 4 slightly annoying but ultimately inconsequential ways, 2 ways that are at once infuriating yet charmingly novel and exciting, and 1 mind bogglingly incomprehensible decision.

Which is to say that I’m interested to see what they do, because it’s sure to be different.

Zelda, along with Metroid, is a series that will sell a console to me.

Wow, that enthusiasm is admirable. They also kept it pretty orderly. No one fell and got stamped on, just a rush of people all running at the same speed.

Agreed.

almost 15 minutes of Zelda:BotW footage.

EDIT - Well, I’m going to have to update my “games of 2017” list, this looks excellent.

Sounds like the first official review is in, and Edge magazine is giving it a perfect 10 (no one is sure which version this is, presumably it’s both Switch as well as Wii-U versions).

Source - vg247

TLDR; better than OoT (even though they also gave Skyward Sword a 10).

Spoiler-free conclusion from the review:

The result, for all the longevity of its series and the familiarity of the open-world genre, is a game that evokes feelings we haven’t known for 20 years. Not since Ocarina of Time have we set foot in a world that seems so mind-bogglingly vast, that feels so unerringly magical, that proves so relentlessly intriguing. Plenty of games promise to let us go anywhere and do anything; few, if any, ever deliver on it so irresistibly. Nineteen years on, Ocarina is still held up as the high-water mark of one of gaming’s best-loved – and greatest – series. Now it may have to settle for second place. 10

Spoilerific review scans are here, which I’m not reading. :)

Why can’t I preorder a physical copy of Breath of the Wild for the Wii U from Amazon? Is this some Amazon bullshit or some Nintendo bullshit?

(Or am I just overlooking something?)

There’s something weird going on there. I saw that too, some sites are saying it’s just an error but if that’s the case it’s taken then awhile to correct it.

Gamestop and Best Buy will let you buy physical copies on their web pages. Not sure what’s up with Amazon though.

I want to like the game… I want to play it… I just can’t get back the artistic style the selected. it looks washed out and low-res. I know it isn’t but blech. I can’t get my head around it!!!

Here’s a link to the youtube video of that 15min of Botw

The art style itself appeals to me, but I agree the colors look too washed out. Needs more saturation or something, I dunno. But the look appeals to me a great deal.

I find it much more tolerable than Elder Scrolls Online, another game with a seemingly washed out palette I could never come to terms with.

Trying to decide to buy digital or get via Amazon prime for discount, but it’s not on Prime. So confuzzed.