Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (BotW2)

It’s my wife’s birthday. She will have a other one…

That’s how Skill Up describes this sequel in his review.

Literally this. I played BotW years ago, for a bit, and couldn’t get into it. I started over a few weeks back, and I do ‘get’ it this time! I defeated two of the Titans, and I really want to continue and finish the storyline before starting TotK. which, with my limited time to play, will be months, but I don’t mind. I might skip this thread for a while though!

Dammit, I just spent a bunch of money buying games. For some reason I thought I still had a few weeks left to be tempted by this.

Guess it’s time to dust off the ol’ Switch again…

Played two hours. Still in the starting zone. I like all the building objects thing but hope you don’t have to do that to solve all those outdoor puzzles or to get places. It’s a fun diversion but would get tired of it if you have to build all the time. Like it so far.

Only about 30 minutes in. Sometimes Raru(?) sounds almost like Keanu Reeves.

I did the Costco eShop cards into vouchers into Tears of the Kingdom last night. Not sure when I’ll get around to playing it but we’ve got a 15 year old who kept asking if I was going to get it and so very subtly hinting at how much they’d like to play it. And now I have that other voucher there so I have to figure out what other game I’d like to toss onto the backlog.

(Pikmin 4 trailers look neat! I’ve never played the series before, but I figure that’s going to be a good pick for the second voucher).

I think the game leans heavily onto the building the entire game. So I could see that being off-putting to certain people. I played 2 hours and it’s really good. Still stuck in the newbie area. The building stuff is fun, but like I said I could see some people not digging it. I certainly am. Looks great on the OLED switch.

Made it to hyrule at 2:20 am last night. Enjoyed the tutorial and the building might be fun with experimenting. The same old bullshit weapon decay is there but I attached a stone to a long pole and killed many more enemies without heavy degradation so that was a nice pleasure not having it break after 3 kills. We will see how that goes. Excited to just explore. Ran fine so far on the OLED.

The Digital Foundry tech review was surprisingly positive. Seemed like almost a rock solid 30 fps except when pulling out the building tool.

I managed to avoid pretty much anything being spoiled other than “there’s floating islands” and “you can glue stuff to stuff”, and my first few hours have been absolute joy. It feels like more BotW, but they’ve gone ahead and given me endless tool and power permutations right from the get-go?

My jaw has dropped countless times now, but my favorite moment so far has to be my first two interactions with the Ubisoft open-world towers (minor opening 3-hours spoilers):

I spent probably twenty minutes trekking to a distant tower, wanting to fill in part of my map. I failed to climb it the first time, tried again and slipped halfway up but caught myself on a ledge. I used a portable stove to cook a stamina-recovering meal (while perched halfway up the tower) and made it to the top. And there was nothing there. The top of the tower was sealed and I had no way to interact with it.

I then followed the story marker which led me to another tower (and the means to “unlock” them.) I was floored when shown the intended use of the towers :)

Same here, went in blissfully spoiler-free when I started last night. And man, that old magic is back! It is so great to be back in a new Zelda game.

Seems a little unfair that a Zonai glider “wears out”. And if there was a warning anywhere before it happened to me at a lethal altitude, I missed it.

I had a little bit of trouble near the beginning trying to figure out how to go up the icy cliff near the third shrine. Otherwise the beginning was great!

Though after playing mainly on an Xbox Series for the past year, the relatively low frame rates and muddy textures hurt the game (though to be fair, this is true with many Switch games, Pokémon Arceus I’m looking at you). The art style and animations help to compensate, but still.

When I used it as directed in the starter island, it started flashing green after a while which I took to mean that it was almost out of juice.

Same here, except I’d stuck some fans on it and gotten high enough I couldn’t navigate back to a safe height before it broke. Oh well!

#videogames

Just descended (or skydived) to Hyrule earlier today, and that first vista was breathtaking. So far, really enjoying this. I haven’t yet run into a puzzle or situation that I was unable to solve.

I like that they have kept lots of the same sound riffs like the Dun da da da daahh! When you get a spirit orb. Or the Ha ha ha! When you get a Korok. Those sounds are lodged deep in my psyche as a pavlovian response to reward.