Let Us Argue About Food. Be Nice.

@Telefrog I will say this. Some pizzas I had in Italy are so far removed from American styles I found them hard to take in. Things like peas and whatnot on a pizza are … strange. Pumpkin and ham for instance.

I think that was in Gaeta, which is where I lived for 2 1/2 years. Some people there would claim that anyway. Others would tell you without Naples, it just wouldn’t have become a thing. The working class accepted it and ran with it there.

Truly I guess if New York has any pull in the US, it’s the beginnings of pizza as an industry here in the states. Without them who knows what pizza would have become.

Oh man. You ain’t kidding. As a young soldier in Italy, my eyes were opened.

Regardless, Naples, Gaeta, New York, or Shanghai, none of their pizza is a Chicago tomato soup bread bowl.

Any strange ones you remember?

I had a seafood pizza (fresh catch and shrimp) on lettuce. It was okay. Quatro Stagioni (Four Seasons) is good but also probably strange to Americans.

I feel like somebody should make that sandwich purist/rebel chart for pizza.

Obviously, somebody has:

Chicago isnt listed, but it’s probably ingredient purist/structure neutral.

What’s the chaotic evil of pizza?

Papa John takes a shit on a Ritz cracker.

And yet we have people proclaiming the glories of pizza bagels, and California style. Many of the same mocking the Chicago style. To which I say

Corn, asparagus, and whitefish. It wasn’t terrible, but certainly pretty alien to my American tastes.

Germany really fucked me up with their version of pizza. Mussels, liver, and a white mayonnaise tasting sauce.

I shuddered. Ugh.

Apparently I’m a hardline traditionalist.

No, you aren’t.

Really? It’s very much a standard in the UK, where pizza norms sit somewhere in the middle between the US and Italy.

According to that chart I very much am. Sir.

Your own words belie you. I literally have quotes of you, good sir!, proclaiming appreciation for a pizza bagel. Which means you are no hardline traditionalist! You are hardline Neutral, at best.

Pizza bagel is literally on the chart.

Good day.

I will quote the only worthwhile source on this insipid matter, in full.

To be fair to Kentucky (a sentence I’ve never before uttered), the Hot Brown suffers from the widest gap between “assumed edibility based purely on name” and “actual deliciousness based on putting it in your mouth” of any food product known to man.

Hot. Brown. Seriously, Louisville? Jesus.

Pfft, I do enjoy bagel bites, but NOTHING beats a meat lovers. Sir.

Hot Brown (höt bræøwn)
A sex act in which one individual practices fellatio while another is on the toilet defecating. Immediately after orgasm, the individual on the toilet stands up and, front-to-back, wipes his ass on the fellatio giver’s face.

Folding a slice is a horrible thing to do to a slice.

To everyone engaging in performative food snobbery and gatekeeping about their fucking food preferences: