Let's complain about our bodies

I went through the same thing back in 2007. Spent several hours in ER, the pain meds did nothing, and I didn’t even see a doctor for about 4 hours. Rode in an ambulance for the first time to get there. It is an experience like nothing else a male can have, though women like to compare it to child birth. Can’t say I have any base for comparison.

The only advice I’ve ever gotten is to drink a lot of water, cut down on sodium, and some people think cranberry juice helps.

Sorry dude, I remember the first time I had kidney stones, not fun. What has worked for me is also to drink more water.

Do you think Mio would be just as good as water? Or might it actually contribute to more stones? It has artificial sweetener instead of sugar.

Damn JP. When will you finally catch a break? :)

Last I heard, they can use ultrasound to break it up. But you still have to pass the fragments.

Their plan right now is to go another 24 hours here in the hospital with the hopes it might pass into the bladder in its own. If that doesn’t work they’ll do minor surgery to insert a stent to help it get out.

@jpinard i use Mio all the time and it works great for me and keto. I don’t think the artificial sweetener is much of a problem as long as you don’t overdo it. It has citric acid in it too I suspect. I drink a lot of the mango/peach, the blueberry/lemonade. The Amazon price for these is not great as you can often get them in the grocery store for three dollars each or sometimes two for five dollars.

Oof, sorry about all this. I drink a gallon a day of iced tazo passion tea flavored with a mix of Crystal light and mio.

How exactly do you make that? Sounds wonderful and would like to try some after I get out of hospital.

Super easy!

You steep one bag in hot water like you would for regular tea. At least a few minutes, but sometimes I leave it much longer. Pour the tea into a pitcher and add water (one gallon total for me). Add whatever mio/Crystal light you want (I use lemonade, blackberry lemonade, and strawberry lemonade, but you can use whatever you like in whatever amounts suit you as far as taste and sweetness).

I make a gallon up before bed every night, so it is cold the next morning and I don’t have to worry about adding a ton of ice to chill it.

I should mention that drinking that much liquid every day takes some getting used to. It will probably seem pretty difficult at first. You will also make more frequent trips to the bathroom than you are used to, so keep that in mind.

Ok this is not cool at all. I’m still in hospital for kidney stone, but they’ve run out of time for me to pass it, so this is what they’re going to do:

Go through my urethra, bladder and up into the ureter with a scope, then try to take stone out with a basket, or laser it to chunk it out. But if it won’t fit out normally they’re going to add a stent that runs from the ureter to my bladder, which also has a STRING that will run from my bladder out my penis. After the stone passes, I will have to pull the string to yank the entire stent assembly out. This sounds horrible.

That does indeed sound horrible. Fortunately I passed mine on my own. VERY glad I didn’t have to do stuff like that.

Maybe I can cheer you up a bit. After I was hit by a car, I was in the hospital for several surgeries. I had a catheter in for a couple of months. The finally yanked it out like starting a lawnmower. But I digress.

Eventually I need to pee. So I stagger into the bathroom pushing my IV stand. Get the hog out and let go.

It goes PPPTHHTHTHTPPPPPTHTHTHHTPPPPTHTHTH.

My dick farts. For a long time. I finally pee and immediately signal for a nurse. As I describe what happened she is obviously trying not to laugh. Sometimes a catheter can introduce air into the bladder. I was not amused.

fwiw that made me laugh @RichVR. Thank you for sharing your pain.

Dick Fart – that will be the hero of the detective novel I will never write!

Just got bad’ fromsurgery, spdidnt go well. Tried t knrea’ with Laser. It didn’t break well. Have eniurmakjsnknngrkjn and get
Rmmellemtmktms have the awful string thing in a week

I’m sorry you’re going through more hell in your life, jp. I do just want to say that this particular letter mess made me lol.

Ya that sucks. My 14 year old had a kidney stone on Thanksgiving last year. ER and a few hours later it passed…but I’ve never seen her in pain like that…scared the heck out of me. Good luck…stay safe.

Can’t Lee power pppppalwws you oikntotopppppppp

Dang, that’s even more dramatic than the walrus. Get better, Jeff!

Whew awake and mostly myself again. Talked to my nurse who said they got the stone out, but still decided on a lengthy stent in that covers the entire tube from bladder to the kidney. Not sure why they felt the need to do that unless there’s some damage to the tube from doing this procedure .