Let's drink tequila

I’m chilling at home this new years, and sipping on some tequila. It occurred to me that i don’t think I ever posted about my all time favorite tequila, so here it is.

I’m drinking the silver, which is my favorite tequila in the world. It is super good, but perhaps not that well known.

The thing is, this tequila is no longer made. So if you see it, ever, you should drink it. You should buy all you can.

My plans fell through so I’m at home with some of this:

I’m not a big alcohol person so it’s mixed heavily with Coke. Begin your shaming.

I had shots of Patron, Cabo Waco for margaritas, then DJ 1942 to sip on.

Two bottles ordered. Thanks for the recommendation, man.

Tequila and coke? Hrm…

At least go with, I dunno, OJ?

I’m working with what I’ve got.

I always forget what tequilas I’ve mentioned here when I’m drinking tequila, and I’m already kind of drumk and lazy at the time.

Tonight I’m drinking a very nice reposado, that tastes like an anejo. It’s from a brand called 6 degree. I may have mentioned it above, but whatever, I’m drinking it again.

Normally i drink blancos, because i like the raw, grassy taste that is the essence of tequila. But, for folks who are still kind of learning to appreciate it, anejos and reposados are often a safer bet. Less burn, and more sweet, caramel flavors. I believe that a very good Blanco is no less complex, but perhaps harder to appreciate, especially as a first shot, while the burn is still shocking.

Anyway, this reposado is excellent, and would definitely be a tequila that would appeal to non tequila drinkers. Which isn’t to say it’s not a good a tequila on its own… If you like teauila, you will also like this.

It’s very, very similar to clase azul. To the extent that i bet a lot of folks wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, even in a vertical tasting.

Very strong vanilla and honey flavors, and extremely smooth. It’s not usually what i go for in tequila, but it’s very nice. And it’s SO cheap compared to clase azul. Clase azul’s reposado will run you a hundred bucks for a bottle (although, in fairness, it’s a really fancy bottle). I think i got this bottle for $39.99? An amazingly good bottle for the price.

I’d highly recommend it for folks who like sweeter tequila. Drinks very well neat.

I found a new thing after stopping in the liquor store today. My collection was getting a bit sparse, as i don’t drink much, and so rarely refill the cabinet. Decided to see if the store had any new tequilas, which they very rarely do, but was pleasantly surprised to find this.

So it’s a Diablo Blanco, sometimes called “still strength” Blanco. Instead of the normal 40% abv, it’s 55%. It packs a wallop.

But it’s also exceptionally smooth on the front, and surprisingly sweet. It has a complex flavor, with a lot going on. Like I said, the front half is much smoother than i expected for a still strength Blanco… They put some love into making this, because the smoothness didn’t come from age.

The finish is spicy, and there’s some serious heat at the end. A reminder that despite it being very good, it’s still 55% alcohol. Take your time, or bad things might happen.

This is just a first impression, but thus far, it’s a winner. Was $45 for the bottle, out in the sticks of Pennsylvania.

Upon further reflection, this tequila is exceptional.

According to the time stamps on the last two posts here…

You have been drinking tequila for at least four days.

I love tequila. There are so many flavors and I just love how it tastes.

My absolute favorite tequila is Aha Toro. I found this while in Costa Rica at a little restaurant called The Gingerbread House (run by an Israeli Chef of all things), and can only get it mail order or when going through customs. So when I’m running low, I typically order 4 bottles.

Centanario is is my go-to for just a nice sip every once in a while because it’s so damn economical at about $28/bottle. To me, this is the quintessential flavor of tequila

I’m buying coworkers tequila again and I need a recommendation for a smooth tequila to drink neat that isn’t too expensive like DJ.

It must be popular enough to show up at a local tequila place with about 100 options. I wish I had a picture of the menu.

The problem with tequila is that it’s hard to say, “get this” without seeing a menu, because there are very few tequilas that are super common at bars in America… And there are so many tequilas that are exceptional.

I can think of a ton of cheap, good tequilas… some are in this thread. But I can’t think of any that i would guarantee they’d have somewhere other than Don Julio.

Claze Azul is something they would have lots of places, but it’s generally not cheap. It’s also not really my kind of tequila as is very sweet and vanilla tasting. But it’s definitely smooth, and appeals to folks who don’t normally like tequila.

Forteleza is big enough that they might have that. If they have their anejo, that’s excellent and approachable.

Oh, if there are folks who like scotch, you might go with a mezcal. It’ll be smokey, and sometimes helps get scotch drinkers on board. They would likely have something from illegal, like their joven. Not super smooth, but nice. Shouldn’t be expensive either.

Oh, they might have casa amigos’ anejo. That’s pretty smooth and nice. Not generally expensive either.

Get a picture of the menu.

I’m drinking tequila while i write this on my phone.

I bet you might find a picture of the menu on Yelp or similar, unless they change it up a lot.

Everything you say is spot on. And it makes me think of a thought I once had.

There are many kinds of alcoholic beverages. And some can taste close to, or the same as others.

But two are unmistakable: Tequila and Gin.

It’s not on Yelp or Facebook among hundreds of pictures. It’s almost like they don’t want you to see it. I thought I had taken a picture of it recently and just spent 20 minutes looking through old photos. I give up.

@Timex you’re ridiculous. Claze Azul is expensive, Forteleza is nowhere, mezcal is fucking disgusting. Casa Amigos anejo might be a great suggestion though. I bet they have that.

I said it was! But it’s something that is often find in bars, because the bottle look fancy.

Like i said, it’s getting bigger, so you’re more likely to find it. Will be cheaper than the azul too, and better.

But really, without the menu, the question was basically just “what are some good things, off the top of your head right now”

And mezcal is awesome. You should drink it

I’d have to be pretty drunk to drink mezcal.

Because mezcal cooks the agaves in open fire pits, it gets a very smokey flavor. If you don’t like this, then ya, you won’t like mezcal.

But a lot of scotch drinkers like that kind of smokey flavor, as you find it in some really peaty scotch. And for those folks, they tend to like mezcal.

It’s a celebrity backed anejo (Clooney), so I wasn’t expecting much but it’s actually pretty good, and it’s also everywhere I shop.

One thing I have discovered is that unlike other spirits I am usually just as happy sipping the mid range tequilas as I am the top end. I also usually get much more of a caramel and burnt sugar flavor from them so tequila has vaulted up my drinking list recently.