Let's go creating THE CREATOR (2023)

I checked it out on YouTube. Nope, barely remembered that. It was cool, but I like The Creator’s version better. I can’t wait to rewatch it on YouTube.

I should mention that I saw The Creator in one of those 720 degree theatres and it was my first experience with that. And the 720 mode (projection onto both side walls extending what’s on the main screen) kicked in along with the song and the scene. So it was a trifecta of sensory overload. The 720 thing ultimately proved utterly gimmicky, and I would never pay extra for it again. But I am still thinking of that song, and that scene.

Visually very stunning but as others have noted the plot was not strong. It would be nice for Gemma Chan not just to be a sentient prop in a movie one of these days.

I just looked her up. Hey! I recognize her. She was in Crazy Rich Asians as a model, and the whole point was that she was more than just a Sentient Prop!

Watch Humans! It’s Westworld but good.

Looking it up, it’s sadly not currently on any streaming service in the U.S.

It is a solid show that ended too soon.

That was an incredible VFX showcase.

And it was dumb as shit.

Also, I know they do it for cinematic effect, but whenever they showcase special operations soldiers in the field they have so many goddamn lights on them and their weapons. And it’s nighttime. Jeezus. C’mon. In the very beginning, they find an American soldier. Yeah, no shit? Dude was lit up like a Christmas tree in the dark.

I am a huge fan of Dollhouse.

If memory define who we are, this is about a technology that lets erase memories and overwrite them with other memories.

Yep. It was really, really dumb. You could notice how it was the type of thing when a concept artist gets to make their own movie, because the art was cool to look at, but the world building was atrocious and devoid of all logic, and the plot itself was pretty bad too. It was like if a 11 year old would make a script, instead of a good scifi author.

The Creator has ended its domestic box office run at $40.7 million.

Scripts matter.

I don’t really understand how movies come out with terrible scripts. I mean they spend tens or even hundreds of millions to make a movie, and oftentimes they’re just nonsense or terrible.

Worldwide total box office is $104 million, so it likely did not make back it’s relatively low $80 million production budget. (Studios only get a fraction of non-domestic BO.)

In more positive news, this BO total is right around where The Marvels will end up, so things could’ve been worse!

I’m not sure there was a single scene where I didn’t think, “Wait, what?” or “Why are they doing that?”. Such an insanely boring and non-sensical script. Did they even do any sort of pre-production world building? 1981 Gamma World campaigns created by 10 year olds were more coherent.

And @Woolen_Horde, I’m with ya on the strobe-lit special forces. It’s been a bugaboo of mine since forever. Even as kids playing army or whatever we knew flashlights did more to help the enemy spot you than you spot them. And screws up your night vision! Bleh!

Popped up on Disney+ over here, so I gave it a go.

The design work and the execution were terrific. Like District 9, this one punched visually way above its budget.And I always appreciate seeing something that isn’t directly based on anything, is a sequel or some remake/reboot.

I liked the director’s previous movies, even Rogue One despite of its flaws. Sadly, I have to agree with the majority of the above posts: the script really drags this one down. There’s nothing original at all, there’s not even a hint of nuance, everything is extremely on the nose, annoyingly predictable, and I’d also be fine if writers take a break from thefather-figure who needs to redeem and ultimately sacrifice himself for the child he protects arc for a decade or so.

For what it’s worth: