Lets talk about TV cables

What do you have for an audio receiver/hifi? It’s a common problem, and newer receivers often have an audio delay feature for getting things back in sync, though it may take some fiddling to find the right value.

I have a small denon thingy, thats basically a radio/amp cd player, whatever thats called these days. Its not that old, but I’m not yet sure if it has it as a configurable option.
I did find variuous options in the hidden ‘service menu’ for the TV for audio delays, but I couldnt seem to get the adjustment to be just right. I’ve also heard online that that the delay itself is not a constant factor, and can change depending on whats being drawn.
Surely this is mental. Doesnt a modern TV (its a samsung LED 7020) have a timer and display frames at a constant rate, or at very least synch the audio and the render speed automatically? It seems insane to not synch up the digital sound out with the same output sent to the internal speakers…

If your TV can’t sync its sound output to its slow image rendering, you could try speeding up its image rendering instead. Look for a “game mode” or try turning off options such as 120 Hz display and other image beautifications.

Perhaps the digital sound output just delivers the unchanged sound signal from the HDMI input? That would explain why it’s not synced like the internal speakers.

Also, some DVD players have a sound delay option so you could try synchronizing on that end.

Maybe as a work around, have you tried disabling any Dolby PL II maybe? With my Denon I got significant lag with PL II in rock band (like 40-50 ms) but in stereo or ‘direct’ mode it had like 10 ms.

I think the problem is that the dvd is routing sound to the hifi and image to the TV, and one is just faster. I need to get the sound back out of the TV and from there to the hifi. The issue there is the TV sound output is only digital and both my hifis only have analog inputs, so I suspect there isn’t a trivial box or adaptor that does that.

Both hifis are pretty new so it would be a bitch to have to buy a third one at this stage. I have to say though, I’ve been living with the sound from the TV itself and it really is not that bad at all.

Cliff, do check your DVD player if there’s a sound delay option. Mine has one, and I used it with my old Sharp LCD TV that also had a somewhat sluggish image.

Oh, but there is. Or, rather, was. It’s discontinued, but still available for about $60 here in the States.

Amazon.co.uk appears to have several similar products available for about 40 squid. Just search for “digital to analogue converter” in their electronics section.

Devices like that are often very limited though (the one you linked will only convert stereo PCM, for example), so it depends on what the TV is generating on the digital output, which might be configurable.

IdeallY I’d keep the dvd player and fix it elsewhere, because i would like non dvd input to be routed through the hifi too, which means taking sound out from the TV. That means taking a chance on the right D/A convertor, or a new hifi (bah)

Personally cliffski, I’d be more concerned about the river of slime running underneath your abandoned subway line station, as no cellar is that creepy without having a dreadful, evil secret.

You haven’t seen my basement. I swear it could be used as a set piece for the next SAW movie. Luckily, we don’t have to go in there much…

It’s less scary now, because I spent all day stuffing sheepswool insulation in the rafters of the wooden-roofed bit. Now it just looks like someone sluaghtered 100 sheep and tied them to the ceiling.
On the plus-side, it’s warmer in the living room now.