Let's talk vasectomies

They have. Decreased sex drive is one of them.

Yup, I can completely agree. The pill is a wonderful, awesome invention, but for the most part it suppressed my libido to the point of nonexistence. For a while there was a particular formulation that was ok, but my insurance company stopped covering that particular manufacturer. Oh American health care system and insurance companies with “exclusive” deals with manufacturers, how I adore thee…

Triphasal is just one of the many formulations of “the pill” out there.
Like I said, many different formulations exist and all are not the same.
Tri-cyclics may not be the best for everyone. (I don’t like them)
My Gyn has this chart showing at least 10 different formulations with the various pro/cons of the formulations. Sex drive is on there. In fact if you say “I think this is effecting my sex drive” the Dr. can say “perhaps you need more / less estrogen / progrestin or a different formulation”.

In the end it really doesn’t matter that much. Choose whatever family planning method works the best for you. I’m just saying that the pill isn’t the evil that people make it out to be.

Do you have any cherry? This koolaid tastes bitter…

In the end it really doesn’t matter that much. Choose whatever family planning method works the best for you. I’m just saying that the pill isn’t the evil that people make it out to be.

For my part, I wasn’t trying to say the pill was evil. I was saying more that it’s a hassle. If she doesn’t have to take it anymore and we still don’t end up with children, that’s a win.

If you’re actually knowledgable about the pill and its side-effects, then why did you say:

?

Saying “It’s not the pill, she’s probably just tired” hardly implies a depth of knowledge on the subject.

Now, as far as whether you should get a vasectomy or not, it’s a question of how sure you are you don’t want kids. If you’re 99.85% sure, then you should go with the method that’s 99.85% effective. If you’re only 95% sure, use the pill.

I don’t think anyone is saying it is evil, in fact it is more or less responsible for the equality in sexes that we have today, so I for one would say that’s pretty awesome.

However, there are good side effects (lower incidence of certain kinds of cancers) and there are bad side effects (lower libido, blood clots, etc.) I personally happen to have a lot of problems with most of the formulations that my insurance company covered.

I did mine some years ago. I could look up the exact date, because later that night we went to a slightly early (10pm) premiere screening of The Two Towers that I’d won. I was the guy who snuck in a bag of frozen peas.

The doc thought the movie was a stupid idea, but it was free tickets to The Two Towers. That I won. Plus, I met him for the 1st time for the procedure. That was a little alarming, I had called for an appointment assuming there was some sort of consultation/equipment check needed, and the receptionist offered to schedule the procedure at the same time.

It was unbelievably smooth and painless. I should be in all the brochures. The worst part, by far, was the dabbing of some cleaning fluid. That stuff was freezing. I really didn’t even need the peas.

We picked this urologist based on a strong recommendation from my wife’s gynocologist. Any other doctor is probably a good source for a local referral too.

Dude, WTF is up with that link? “http://99.85%”? That shiznit is wizack, yo.

What’s the cost of 25 years * 12 months * however much crazy goddamned money they charge for the pills? I’d likely rather subsidize that guy in Belfast.

Doh, it was either a copy-paste error or I hit “make url” instead of “paste url from clipboard”. Fixed now.

Crazy, I had a consultation first and then they scheduled the procedure for a couple months down the road.

My only point was that it’s still a surgical procedure, and there’s still a risk of complications, such as autoimmunity leading to spermatoceles and/or hydroceles. Anecdotal reporting indicates some level of sexual dysfunction and other problems post-vasectomy (i.e. as reported on Vasectomy: Discussion, for example). Again, let me stress anecdotal. As we all know, people typically complain on the Internet when something goes wrong and post nothing when something goes right, especially with regard to this sensitive topic.

I don’t have any real personal stake in the topic; my wife is much more anti-vasectomy than I am. I would, however, like to point out that the tone of my first post was considerably lighter than how it was apparently perceived to be, and I really don’t appreciate being sworn at – especially if my citation-free post is criticised by another citation-free post.

People also tend to blame problems that already exist on new procedures. Say a man is in a slow decline into ED, gets a vasectomy, and a few months later shows a much more tangible sign of it. What gets blamed?

We did the same thing. Asked my wife’s gyno who he’d use if he was getting it done. I shaved myself that morning went down for teh procedure. During the actual procedure, I could still feel some pretty bad pain, so they shot me up with a double dose of anesthesia. This led to the one big mistake I made, sex. Do not have sex no matter how small amount of pain you have. My wife wanted to try me out newly shaved, and because I felt no pain at all, I decided to go for it. Big mistake, no amount of frozen peas the next day could take away the pain, it was like a groin pull x10. Just take it easy and wait a few days.

Well it is accepted norm that the guy making a bold new claim back it up. If not, I’ll just stick with accepted wisdom about the subject - ie it’s a small procedure with very little risk of failure or harmful sideeffects. The sideeffect you’re talking about isn’t something that would be downplayed, was it true.

Thanks. In the last thread I claimed that sex on the same day, was possible without risk, just not adviced.
I can now change that statement to ‘you can have sex without fear that you’re tubes will magically grow together or you’ll bleed out… but you’ll regret it’.

My drugs weren’t good enough for me to even think that would be a good idea. I did go to a party that evening, but sat down most of the time - I’d say I was in some pain for a week afterwards, but no biggie (certainly not as big as I led my wife believe - I milked that sucker).

Take a look at the url I included in my last post.

Assuming the price of my pills stays the same for 25 years, including tax, I will have spent $18.5k. Vasectomy ftw.

Thanks, but that led me to this message “Click a date below to view the posts made through that date:” and a registration-form. I’m not going to register and search a forum, which if you look at the name has an agenda, just to find some stories you yourself admit are anecdotal.

Thanks, but that led me to this message “Click a date below to view the posts made through that date:” and a registration-form. I’m not going to register and search a forum, which if you look at the name has an agenda, just to find some stories you yourself admit are anecdotal.