Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

@tomchick Thanks. TLDR: I look at everything.

A couple years ago (early 2017) when the Steam release rate was really exploding, I stopped trusting game news sites to catch the interesting releases and started looking at all the new games on Steam. My wishlist grows 1 or 2 games per day on average (currently 1337, no joke, and 1020 owned, ~550 played on Steam, 5k ignored), and it’s fun to share the notable ones.

I also gave up on backlog guilt and completion-ism, and I started buying big piles of cheapies on sale, bundled, etc. I used to be seriously elitist about my purchases, but knowing it’s impossible to keep up with the release rate, I chose to support worthwhile games as patronage and celebrate the abundance. When my friends bemoan that there are “too many games”, I say there is no such thing.

My daily routine is to look at the new releases unfiltered, open store pages for anything action or strategy, and to mostly skip visual novels, adventure, RPGs, hidden object, clickers, casual, and obvious low-effort filler. I spend too much time tagging and flagging bad tags, but I figure it’s helpful in the long run. Usually I will Google-translate non-english descriptions to tag them. This all can take an hour or two, but it’s time I would have spent reading about games anyway. I use the Augmented Steam browser extension to add notes to my wishlist, and ITAD for prices & notification.