Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This is high praise! I love Slay the Spire. But… this is Early Access =(

Looks like BAD NORTH got an update / rebalance / free expansion.

It is a much better game now! I especially like that leaders come with some kind of pre-installed bonus, and that there are checkpoints.

This looks interesting… anybody played?

This is the first game from a lone developer.

I’m back with another INDIE GAME WORTH PLAYING–NOT JUST KNOWING ABOUT.

The Stillness of the Wind has just become one of my favorite games of the year. It’s on sale on Steam this week, so snatch it up IF the following sounds like your kind of thing:

The game is an expansion of a jam game called Where the Goats Are. You play an old woman tottering around a farm, feeding your goats, making cheese, growing crops, fending off wolves (poorly), and reading mail. The mail comes from your siblings and other family members and long lost friends, all of whom have moved to the city, leaving you alone on the rickety family estate.

The game starts as a peaceful and mostly pleasant simulation with a nostalgic atmosphere. It mostly stays that way, but as you read more about events in the city (and have a freaky dream or two), it becomes equally haunting and sad.

The visuals are perfectly evocative (with a handful of clunky animations). The weather and seasonal effects are dramatic. The game systems aren’t deep, but suit what’s ultimately a narrative experience well. The writing is excellent. The whole game can be played in about three hours.

This is also included in the Xbox Gamepass.

I wasn’t onboard until you said this. I really like short games that say what they need to and then get out of the way. I recently played No Code’s Stories Untold, a really well-done little anthology of games that takes about 2 hours start to finish.

Game has been released.

No Steam publicity.

I bought it, no surprises there, might even get to play it tonight.

Keep us posted on what you think.

Yeah, we were busy squashing as many bug as we could back then.

Anyway, As BloodyBattleBrain mentioned, the game has been released.

This is direct steam link:

It was a long journey, but I feel proud being able to hit that Release button. Thank you for many kind words back then when we tried to do kickstarter.

Thanks for the update. I didn’t realize it was so close to release. I’m working through the new Fire Emblem right now, so it might be a few months before I pick this one up. Glad it’s out and wish it well.

We Need To Go Deeper just left early access:

The store page has a stream showing right now. I don’t know that I could handle the ship tilting left and right every time I’m in it running around doing things. Looks way too frenetic and probably would make me seasick (lol).

Anyone still playing? Anyone recommend it?

It will always amaze and please me how many devs are on this forum.

Game wouldn’t run on my creaky system, which was due some upgrading anyway, which I’m doing now, so we’ll see if said upgrades are enough.

I’m guessing and hoping a geforce 1060 and 16 gb of ram will get me by.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Geforce 1060 and 16GB of RAM should be more than enough as development was done on gtx 780 and we tested on machine with 8GB of RAM. So maybe its the other parts.

So this looks like something I’ve love to see @Jason_McMaster stream with a few friends.

Oh wow, that’s good to know, we had a delightful time playing it.

I’ve been keeping in eye on it for awhile, never played though. It looks like the kind of fun a group can yell at each other about. I am not sure I can handle tilting like that either.

Hmmm, does seem like my type of game

Jupiter Hell is a turn-based shooty game with a DOOM aesthetic that just went into Early Access on Steam.

It might be trying to make you its bitch.