Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I really loved the mobile version of CSD1, but I had trouble getting into CSD2 on my PS4. Without the swiping and other mobile gestures, it just felt like an elaborate exercise in remembering which buttons to push.

CSD on mobile was sublime. I got my kids into it too.

David Galindo is a little gaming genius.

I still haven’t quite “finished” CSD 2 for similar reasons. I play on PC, and I got pretty good with hot keys, but some of the final levels in some of the restaurants have dishes that pretty much require memorizing like 15 different ingredient hotkeys, and yeah, that’s pretty hard (for me, anyway).

Got a new computer. FoB is downloading. Will post impressions later.

And for my next trick… “Foraminifera”!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1825538231

Disappointing. Militia is the only BGG title I didn’t care for. I was hoping for Axes & Acres II.

Perhaps next Summer.

Still waiting for axes and acres on ios, though I suppose I could stream it to the iPad just fine.

Do NOT buy Final Theory. It’s sooooo boring and poorly explained.

So, yeah, A Short Hike is delightful. Completable in a single sitting, but just packed full of exploration and surprises. It’s a game that feels unafraid to give you almost (definitely not entirely) unlimited navigational control and just let you loose on a big fun island.

Also add it to the list of excellent flying/gliding games, with Aer and Superflight.

Anyway, I recommend it to everyone.

Shortest Trip to Earth just exited EA. Price will increase to $24.99 after launch discount expires.

We have previously announced that Shortest Trip to Earth is going to receive a price increase at the end of its Early Access period. However, the European Commission has created a law that forbids (for a period of 30 days) raising a price and then offering a discount at the same time. Bit of a catch 22 isn’t it! However: we find it more important to offer a discount at launch to the community, so for the week of launch we will be offering a 15% discount while keeping the price as is.

You might want to consider jumping on the bandwagonquickly though, since after the week of launch we do intend to raise the price (to $ 24,99), again, as was always the plan.

I’d like a turn-based version 🤪

Nice to see this get a sequel, I heard the first was really good. Gotta find time to play it.

Chapter 1, 9/20/19.

That looks awesome, but seems like a lot of complaints about it not being quite ready for release. Certainly earns a spot on my wishlist.

Hmmm, here or the spacey game thread?

Here it is.

This game sounds a bit more complex than FTL in terms of crew and ship management, but more chill in that you aren’t being pursued.

I sucked at FTL, never made it to the final boss in spite of too many hours playing the game. But it was addictive.

Am curious about others’ impressions of STtE.

It scratches that FTL itch, and it isn’t as unfair in terms of RNG screw in events. But unlike FTL which has a more “standard” level up and get gear phase for at least the first half of a run, in this game it’s attrition from the moment you start. There are almost no upgrades, you’re just trying to keep from decaying too much. And although it’s less spiky than FTL, that’s because it’s just permanently super hard from the beginning. I question whether it’s even possible to win starting from Sector 1, but you can start from any unlocked sector and I imagine most people that win at all just unlock a sector at a time until they reach the end.

There are also some exploit-y feeling mechanics in the game I’m not a fan of, like being able to instant swap modules to stop them from taking the last point of damage that causes them to be permanently lost.

Overall, it’s decent, but it could use some more tuning and design polish.