Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Thanks, appreciate it! Thread in the works now…

At some point not too long ago, I thought there was a discussion where due to some mixed up description of a game Tom ended up musing about the impossibility of a turn-based platformer. Did I make that up? I can’t find the thread.

Either way, Ronin–a turn-based platformer–looks real real cool.

Yeah, like the art style (sort of paper mario thing) and the concept is interesting.

And i got a new one from the guys behind the excellent Waking Mars game, this one called Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon:

http://www.shroudedmoon.com/

RPS stuff here:

Oh yeah, that’s a sequel to their game before Waking Mars. So if you’re curious about it and can’t wait until Aug 6, just grab Spider: Secret of Bryce Manor.

I thought it was a lovely game with clever ideas that didn’t end up hooking me for some reason. But It was good enough–and Waking Mars was great enough–that I’m looking forward to seeing how the next iteration goes.

I only just found out that some of the devs that made King of Dragon Pass are working on a new game called Six Ages. Not much info but they do have this blog thing:

So one to keep an eye on :)

I played the original Hegemony a few years back, loved the map zoom feature and it was a nice light historic strat game, then sort of lost track of the series. Now they are on version 3 which is coming soon and looks pretty decent:

https://www.longbowgames.com/

I was extremely disappointed in the “diplomacy” in the first game, and the second was actually a step backwards with the elimination of meaningful formations. It’s going to take a lot to win me back

In an attempt to work through my backlog, I’m playing this. You’re a little nude guy that jetpacks around space, lands on planets, plants seeds to revive the planet, and shoots space monsters in the process. It’s pretty good!

Renowned Explorers is out today. I’m tempted to take advantage of the Reus discount and grab it, since I’m in desperate need of a new game to play </sarcasm>.

Who will be the guinea pig? I don’t see a lot of risk here, but I just have my hands full.

FTL on a 19th Century steam train? Bounty Train is just out on early access. Relatively steep price ($25), but looks pretty sweet nonetheless. I’ll be waiting for it to leave EA, but will be monitoring the reviews to see if this shapes up to be what it has potential to be.

I’m definitely picking up Renowned Explorers after I play a little more Hegemony. I’ll definitely get it before the discount ends, and I’ll likely start playing it as soon as I buy it.

Bounty Train wasn’t that well received by RPS. It sounded pretty rough, a little light on content and just not much fun yet. They were hopeful, but had some niggling concerns even for it’s future potential.

Grab it at GMG for only $13.86 with voucher code SAVE23-WITHGM-GSEP15, which is $1.13 less than the Reus-owner discounted price on Steam!

Key Features

Explore the far corners of the world in the age of discovery, outsmart your rivals, campaign for fame and become the most Renowned Explorer of the 19th century

Create your own adventures; get to know your explorers with their own character traits, skills and quirks, manage their progression while hunting for the most prestigious treasures

Prepare your treasure hunt; collect Insight, Research, Gold and Status on your expeditions to acquire supplies and support for the next adventure
Attitude-based gameplay; choose the best course of action by engaging your opponents physically and mentally using charm, deception, intimidation or a show of force

There is always something new to discover in the thrilling procedurally generated expeditions, where your reputation opens up new opportunities

I took the plunge after watching a Let’s Play video embedded in the first user review on Steam.

Grabbed RE as soon as I read ‘procedurally generated’ and ‘explorers’. Generally I hate the cutesy art style, but have no issues with it here and am growing rather fond of it.

After maybe an hour of playing I’m really enjoying it. It’s deep enough that I want to delve into all the things that are hinted at but that I feel I’m missing as I plunge thru the jungle in search of pirate treasure and/or monkey fruit! But not so deep that I can’t jump right in (tutorial is about 10 minutes max) and know generally how to taser a charging smuggler or charm an irksome rival Explorer into getting the hell out of my way.

Looks like lots of room to add characters, lands, treasures, adventures, etc too.

At worst I’ll play it an hour or two from time to time and enjoy the hell out of whatever adventure I’m having. At best it has the ‘just one more turn’ pull that will destroy my sleep habits for a while.

I’m about ready to declare this double supergood!

This needs a lot of work. :( The early access doesn’t do it any favors, and in fact, it makes me skeptical whether the developers can get it where it needs to be. Just so many bad decisions that are immediately apparent.

-Tom

Agree on Renowned Explorers, Mr. Chick, although it took a couple of starts to click with me. Once I really understood the combat (and the importance on clicking on the guys you’re fighting to get information) I really started to like it a lot.

:( :( :(

Whoa, guys, this is the thread for indie games no one will ever play because there’s not enough time, and they’ll be in Endless Access for another 2 years anyway.

Renowned Explorers is not EA. Bounty Train is, which makes it a little surprising Tom checked it out.

So their first game was called REUS and this one is called REIS?

Up next for Abbey Games : ROUS… a game about the sixth president of FIFA.

I thought it was “rodents of unusual size”?

I noticed the REUS/REIS thing immediately. I thought they should have gone with Renowned Explorers: Unofficial Society or something so that it was also REUS and then their next game could do so as well. Eventually no one can talk about their games with proper initialisms.