Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

If it doesn’t have Unchained Melody on the soundtrack, no sale.

Wildermyth looks charming. Just how early is it in early access?

Post can’t be empty.

Better than Massive Chalice, eh? The Gaffney Girls may have something to say about that.

Late enough for it to sink hooks into me deep.

Edit: I’m not encountering any bugs. And there is enough content to keep me going. I’m still trying to beat the first beginner campaign after 8hrs. And there are 3 more campaigns!

Also, the campaigns are dynamically generated. Main objectives are the same, but the mini-“dungeons” aka, fight scenarios are randomly generated and the monsters scaled according to the time you spent overall in the campaign. There is a mechanism to scale down the monsters also and that introduces the tension of expanding your party or reducing monster strength. Very nice design.

Yes the game seems to have much less strategic decision than something like Massive Chalice, but it’s been streamlined to a single ressource that you can spend for various things such as hiring a new character or preventing certain effects that build up overtime.

I’m so attached to my characters and how they interact with each others through the semi nonsensical dialogue. Even death is remarkably smartly integrated, and I won’t spoil it.

They claim they won’t go 1.0 for another six months to a year (i.e. a year), but it reads to me like the sort of thing that’s nearly done:

That’s going to take a year? Or are they just soft-pedaling what’s yet to be done?

-Tom

Depending on the size of the team–and it wouldn’t have to be a tiny team–that stuff could easily take a year to get release-ready.

From what I get of the EA blurb, it is that the game is fully implemented, mechanics wise: nothing will probably change, but that they will be adding story and events blurbs — and those are the real meat of the game. In other words, wait for release, Mr. Chick!
To put things in perspective: they want to implement six campaign storylines, and it seems only two are playable right now.

In 2028, they surfaced. They claimed to be the ancient alien progenitors of the human race. They rode in on a Trojan Horse of advanced knowledge and a peaceful World Government. They were, to all who believed, the Saviors of the Earth and all mankind. The truth was that these tentacled abominations came from the bottomless depths of The Sea, chained up for thousands of years, and unshackled in these final days.

They promised a new age of enlightenment and directed evolution, if only one accepted their authority and took their Mark.

Ah man, spooky Mark of the Beast stuff.

It’s fantastic, I streamed it today.

Xenoform has a demo (with a short timer, maybe 5m per run, buy your upgrades before takeoff), and is currently cheaper bundled with Crash Dive than standalone.

@Jason_McMaster why don’t you stream awesome games like Widget Satchel?

Hmm, interesting. Let’s see, what kind of bullet points are they listing…

Ugh, it’s a port of a mobile game. :(

-Tom

It’s also very much arcadey, even on higher difficulty levels, and more of a high score chasing game than anything else, although it brings some of that nice submarine tension to the tablet.
At least it’s not a major failure, although one could argue they didn’t set a remotely ambitious goal to their game.

I saw a video of this from Splattercat and thought it looked pretty interesting.

It’s a Dungeon Keeper type game. Pixel art with nice effects:

It’s not out yet but they have a “prologue” version that is free to play (I assume this is more or less a demo):

There is a prologue version that’s $5 which is how you can support the devs:

Aaaaaand here’s Splattercat’s video if you want to see it in action:

This is cheap again and my group turned me down, hard. They can’t even stand the look of it. It just looks neat to me, and I am also in the will avoid weird art stuff camp although some games have cracked that barrier as of late.

I’ve played We Need to go Deeper a few times via co-op and it’s a blast.