Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

From the developer of Voidspire Tactics.

That Avorion never looked so enticing. What’s the @BrianRubin opinion?

So far its great. Very vibrant universe, fantastic shipbuilder that I’m terrible with (thank goodness for the workshop) and a massive universe to explore. Really enjoying it so far.

Thanks Brian. I’m intrigued.

Played through Draugen on Saturday. It is… short. Like… really short. So short I barely got time to experience the game before it was over. And it is weeiiiirrddd to say the least.
I live in Norway so I was kinda exited to see a fairly well made indepedent Norwegian game for once but I’m sorry to say I was pretty dissapointed. They had a relatively interesting story going but it just falls short.

I’m uncertain whether this is worth knowing about, but I like the visuals. Reminds me of the Yellow Submarine drawings from the Beatles album.

That’s nifty looking!

I don’t know what to make of this guy

• The West Marches is a corrupt land ruled by immoral leaders. You are one of four Knights with a lust for power, and in the pursuit of power, the end justifies the means.

• The bloodiest battles yield the greatest spoils. Strategically extend your domain, reduce your rivals’ resources, and tighten your stranglehold on the peasants of the land.

• Betrayal involves a long, hard, ruthless struggle, starting with the economic management of your towns and cultivation of your lands, culminating in the honing of your military strategy and execution of political subterfuge.

• The towns provide your power base. Manage the successfully, and harvest the wealth needed to buy, bribe and fight for ultimate power.

• Develop a mastery of political subterfuge, gaining places for your Courtiers at the palaces of the King and Bishop, ready for the coup which will make you the master of Betrayal.

It’s like getting to play a Frank Frazetta painting.

That reminds me a little of Moonstone, but less legible. That typeface is hard work!

Kinda looks like a Videlectrix game.

Lots of Mirrorsoft published games from the 80s and 90s are being added to Steam. None of them have caught my eye, but I can’t fault whomever is behind this for making a preservation effort.

That doesn’t puzzle me half as much as the collected works of TigerQiuQiu.

Ah, okay. I looked to see if this was a real retro rerelease and I guess I didn’t dig deep enough. I thought it just looked like a game from 1990, but it’s actually from the 1990 and apparently I just don’t recognize it or any of its brethren because it’s from that weird UK PC game ghetto. (Sorry if that’s offensive, but I was a serious PC gamer in those days and zero of the Mirrorsoft games now on Steam ever crossed my radar. Regardless, I’m very glad that any games from that era are getting serious rereleases!)

So my purchase finger keeps hovering over quite a few interesting looking titles.

Before we Leave looks like a “non-violent” Civ 5? (coming soon)

Freaky puzzle-explorer?

Surviving the Aftermath - some kind of base builder published by Paradox?

Modern Privateer?

Griftlands… really nice art style?

Some kind of cool space-y adventure?

Stylish shooter-y thingy?

More Oxenfree?

Decision making hard-sci story-strategy thing?

“1-bit” horror game?

Sims: Kingdom where the game is making decisions on the throne?

Shareware Indiana Jones for the 21st Century?

Storydrama?

Too many games, not enough time!

Yes. So much yes. Buy it. Now.

You’d get it over Outer Wilds, then?

Did I stutter?

If you don’t have time for any new games, then I guess that’s one thing. But if you’re really looking for that next great game… it’s Outer Wilds.

Oh we know how it is with time and backlogs. I’ve really cut back on new games last year. Probably only get a couple must haves this year as well. But just looking for a few different games. With these and Apple Arcade and PSN Plus i’m still going to be swimming in games. But you can always manage to squeeze some gaming in.

So i guess i’ll get Outer Wilds and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Then toss Crying Suns (kind of a horrible name imo) and make it a Space-y trilogy (it had a demo and i liked it). That’s should be enough for many months and hopefully get me to stop playing Age 2 DE. Thanks!

Of all those, i only played Surviving the Aftermath when it was released in early access and i got bored real quick, felt like it lacked depth. I know it was updated a few times but i havent tried yet.